Three Shires

S

Steve

IMG_3824_01_001.jpg

Canon 20D, 17-40L, F20, 2.5secs
Circular polarizer, 2 stop ND graduated filter, tripod, mirror lockup and remote shutter release.

RawShooter and Photoshop used to post process the raw file.

Wow!
Absolutly stunning shot there mate! :D
I love the colours in it and the blur from the water

I like this, Steve.
The comp is good and the pano crop works very well.
Colour saturation is very good. No blown out highlight on the water.

What else can I say, apart from " Great shot "
Oh! one more thing, WOW

A question, Steve.
The CP filter would normally cut back 2 stops. The ND grad used, also 2 stops. Did you use the ND grad inverted to hold back the water or upright and then crop the bottom part of the image to buy you the 2.5 sec ?

Cameron

Garnock said:
A question, Steve.
The CP filter would normally cut back 2 stops. The ND grad used, also 2 stops. Did you use the ND grad inverted to hold back the water or upright and then crop the bottom part of the image to buy you the 2.5 sec ?

Cameron

The CP was used to reduce reflections and help saturate the picture, also to give the longer time exposure to allow water movement. The ND grad was used upright to hold back the sky, although after the crop (which I had intended at the time of shoot) its effectiveness could be questionable. I guess it still makes metering easier and is an old habit that I am happy to work with when doing landscape photography. It's not so much what you know as knowing how it will effect the outcome ;)

Thanks for the nice comments :thumb:

Why isn't this up for critique?... not that I can find anything crappy to say about it . Lovely shot Steve! :D

tis good this one Steve, much much better than the rock shot!

Go ooooon, shift it over, I wanna critique it! :D Wimp :p
An impressive representation of tranquility in a place that is miles and miles and miles and miles away from anyone, be they two photographers on a walking mission or not :D

Yes very nice shot again, love the colours it's also nice and crisp.

fingerz said:
I like it too. Using a CPF and an ND grad I would've expected the un-cropped shot to be equally as good as the cropped version though. Or was the sky boring?

The best bits of the sky are visible, it had been raining all day and was mainly overcast although the sunset did break through and offer us the orange cast to the photos during the last 15 mins or so of good light.

This shot I had always intended to be in panoramic from when I was framing it although I do have others shots at this location with different compositions, some with more sky.

very nice indeed Steve, I've tried a few of these lately and got nowhere near that quality. Nice one :)

Marcel said:
Go ooooon, shift it over, I wanna critique it! :D Wimp :p
An impressive representation of tranquility in a place that is miles and miles and miles and miles away from anyone, be they two photographers on a walking mission or not :D

TBH I really like this shot and think I will have a large print done. With that in mind I don't want to be looking at it and thinking of all the comments that I might get if I moved the picture into the critique section. That section is for picking holes deliberately and identifying all areas (no matter how small) where things could be improved. As I am happy with the shot, that would just spoil my enjoyment of this picture for the years to come.

dod said:
very nice indeed Steve, I've tried a few of these lately and got nowhere near that quality. Nice one :)

I have been through a phase recently (last four trips out) where I have deliberately gone out to photograph a subject or attempt to capture a certain style of shot and each time I came back with absolutely nothing.

I was beginning to get a bit disheartened with the photography until I shot at this location. It goes to show that you really do have to work at the photography to get good results, sometimes they will come easily and others it seems like we are on a constant up hill battle with nothing to show for our efforts. :(

Steve said:
It goes to show that you really do have to work at the photography to get good results, sometimes they will come easily and others it seems like we are on a constant up hill battle with nothing to show for our efforts. :(
Rub it in then!

Steve said:
TBH I really like this shot and think I will have a large print done. With that in mind I don't want to be looking at it and thinking of all the comments that I might get if I moved the picture into the critique section. That section is for picking holes deliberately and identifying all areas (no matter how small) where things could be improved. As I am happy with the shot, that would just spoil my enjoyment of this picture for the years to come.

A very fair point, and I suppose getting a 'printer' can be quite a rare treat (well it is for me), and I can understand that negative comments would resurface whenever you looked at the picture.

That said....you missed a bit.....(just kidding).

I have noticed you seem to have a nack for this water/landscape type of shot, dating back to the one you showed me taken with the G3. I suppose it's been worked at, and developed, sure...but there's a natural eye for it in there somewhere. :)

I may try this location sometime, looks very photogenic as was promised.

Steve said:

I have been through a phase recently (last four trips out) where I have deliberately gone out to photograph a subject or attempt to capture a certain style of shot and each time I came back with absolutely nothing.

I was beginning to get a bit disheartened with the photography until I shot at this location. It goes to show that you really do have to work at the photography to get good results, sometimes they will come easily and others it seems like we are on a constant up hill battle with nothing to show for our efforts. :(

That's how I got last year. I was just constantly disappointed with everything I took, nothing photogenic jumped out at me, and if I did go out with something in mind, I got there and just couldn't pull it off when it came to it..lol
Rekindling my enthusiasm after a short break, and thus investing in a DSLR has stuck a rocket up my backside, so to speak. So much so, I'm like a jumping bean now :D

Still not pleased with much that I take now, but at least I'm learning *why* I'm not pleased with it, and what I could do to be better.

So you're right, it does take work, and making that transition from "Shut my eyes, press the button and hope for the best" to hanging back and thinking about it properly, thus making sure your shot is right first time, can be a big step. One which is a very rewarding step to take.

Back