Through the Archway

Edit My Images
Yes
Hunstanton

arch1.jpg

I like thar Marrianne, I have been trying to get the time to go into Durham and do something very similiar myself. the ground is a little dark for me but love the colour in the wall.

That's a really interesting picture, the composition is great. Agree with KenCo about the ground though.

I know what you mean but exposing for the ground would have blown out the other detail..... :)

Lovely composition, Marianne. Was it handheld? If not, you could have taken two exposures - one for the ground and one for the wall/building... Alternatively, could you not do some dodging or burning in PS for the ground?

Great shot Marianne - and I love that part of the world ... great for my send fave hobby (birding !).

Before I saw the other contributions I too thought -ground ! Does not really detract too much for me as it allows interest to focus on the tower ... probably your intention anyway ?

yes...thank you...it was the view through the archway that I thought would be the point of interest ;)

Maybe try a landscape crop of the top half if the path is too dark?

Catdaddy said:
Lovely composition, Marianne. Was it handheld? If not, you could have taken two exposures - one for the ground and one for the wall/building... Alternatively, could you not do some dodging or burning in PS for the ground?

Or if you captured in RAW you just create 2 images of different exposure & use HDR to combine. Have you ever played with PhotoMatix ? Trial version lets you combine 2 images.

BTW nice composition.

I do find myself looking at it more than the intended focal point, so I think that has to be a yes for me.

but is that because it is the subject for discussion? Surely our eyes are drawn to the light? :banghead:

My eyes ARE drawn to the light, but straight after that they're drawn down to the path by the sides of the arch :p

There you go Marianne......

archway.jpg

That's better. Nice picture :thumb:

Marianne said:
..all you image manipulators gggrrrrrr

Now all you need to do is replace the sky with that dramatic one from your boat shot :whistle2:

Well if you had asked chuckles nicely at the time of the shot ;)

Oops ! I prefer the original.
It just looks real.

There are many ways to bring out shadow detail, eg two exposures, two images from one RAW, using Shadow/Highlights, contrast masking, fill flash etc.

The problem is unless it's done very well it just doesn't look real, at least to my eyes.

This looks real and I like it.
There's a full tonal range with no blown highlights. The verticals are not leaning. A nice leading line. A focal point of interest. :thumb:

Cameron

Marianne said:
:p don't you think that I could have done that? :getmecoat

Yep, you're more than capable ~ just wondered why you didn't :confused:

I do prefer the original - I have no problem the way it is. I wonder sometimes if we change things just because we can...... :dizzy:

i like the piccy, definately a very good one in their, i think cropping is the way forward to improve this, heres a quicky!

arch1.jpg

hi marianne
this was my take on the same shot 4 years ago, it was taken on a Kodak 4900.
hunstanton.jpg

like the colours in yours better.
stevannie

I expect this shot has been taken so many times before, thanks for sharing Stevannie :)

Do you know, something really funny? I went back to my original shot and the path and all is exposed just right, it was the filter I put on that made the path go darker....ha ha...

archorig.jpg

i think its a great shot, i love the off centre of the arch so to get the building in, not sure abouut the tiled floor in foreground, could be my laptop as its set quite high with brightness, but is there a little noise in the dark areas. Nevertheless great shot.

SammyC said:
Maybe try a landscape crop of the top half if the path is too dark?
Just what i was thinking :) I'd like to see that!

Back