B&W Throw me your comments on this image

Ok - since you ask us to throw you some comments .....

(What that puts me in mind of is ..... I remember going to a meeting with a new boss and he was addressing a group of about 30 local councillors. They asked him for his comments on something they had done - and he told them. When they didn't like what he said, he reminded them that they had asked him for his comments. And that is what he had given them :))

I think you have a fantastic underlying image there - but it is struggling to get out.:)

The composition and the general scene look great to me - but the tones are all too much the same.

Whilst B&W images do - in the main - consist primarily of greys, they do need some black and some white.

On the other hand, if this is a well-known spot for suicides then you have it spot on ....

Thank you for your input.

I'll work on it some more.

Probably be better in colour.
Definitely overexposed, or highlights need toning down.
Engineers POV. If it is an image that requires an exceptional high contrast (detailed structure) or benefits from the noir touch (portrait of an craggy or shadowed face) or there is naturally no colour (misty scene), B&W otherwise use colour.
The image will consist of a multitude of blues and greens that I am am crying out to see.

I like the subject and the composition but as already said - it's lacking contrast / tonal range.

I like the subject and the composition but as already said - it's lacking contrast / tonal range.

As above. It looks as though you've either pulled the highlights down too far, or tried to recover the shadows/darks too much, as there's very little contrast in the image. As a result, it does look very flat.

I reckon there's lots of potential in that image, it's a nice scene and the composition is good. I'd load the RAW file in ACR and not worry too much about blown highlights or shadows, then (if you have it), edit it with Nik Silver Effects. It could look great!

Here's a similar image in colour

Stainforth Foss 2 by DaelPix, on Flickr

Today I went back to the photo and firstly took the vignette out, then lightened the tops of the trees a little, the ones on the top half and a little lightening on the trees on the left. Then added the vignette again. (Not shown in this image!).

Last edited:
The photo is 6 exposures merged together in LR/Enfuse..

Drop the Exposure a little
Drop the Highlights, raise the Shadows
Set the Whites/Blacks
Add a little Clarity, Vibrance and Contrast
Set the Temperature and Tint
Add two Graduated filters

Add Clarity and Contrast to the grass.
Add a very small Graduated filter to the bottom of the image.

Looks a bit garish to me - but then I usually prefer b&w. And I still think that is the better option☺

Looking at the image, the bridge and smooth portion of river are the most interesting areas. Try cropping as a portrait (no reason why a landscape can't be in portrait, it was a term coined hundreds of years ago!).

Looking at the image, the bridge and smooth portion of river are the most interesting areas. Try cropping as a portrait (no reason why a landscape can't be in portrait, it was a term coined hundreds of years ago!).

Thank you for your input Tony.

I tried it, but I think it looks uninteresting.

Back