Thruxton BSB

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
There have been a couple of threads from this event, so thought I'd add a couple of shots and pass some comments at the same time.
The chicane can be very busy at a large meeting!
BSBThruxtonBOG_01.jpg

Thruxton is an airfield track and can be a dull, boring, flat and gray. You just have to think outside the box.
BSBThruxtonBOG_02.jpg

With the Superbikes there is to much glamour
BSBThruxtonBOG_03.jpg

Sometimes things happern that you just have to go with the flow and hope you get lucky.
BSBThruxtonBOG_04.jpg

And just to add some fuel to the anti tilt mob heres one of those.
BSBThruxtonBOG_05.jpg

The last picture is the only one that you could not have got from the public side of the fence, unless you had some very, very long glass.
Enjoy, any c & c most welcome
Shaun

wow what a cracking crash shot! Awesome timing. Fantastic shots the lot of them.
I was tempted to go round to the chicane but took Erics advice and went over to the complex.

Fantastic set. Well caught on the crash, and the last one is a beauty. Girls are not bad either ;)

Great crash shot, you can almost see the pain on his face.

Nicely captured, sharp and lovely colours.

I'd disagree with your comment that all of those bar the last one were achievable.

Sure the first one, that is actually taken from a public area no? (BTW that is a cracking shot)

The second one is also similar to some I have.

But after that you need some serious glass to get those shots... especially, ironically the brolly dollies in the pit lane...

Who is it you work for? I spent my time there wondering who it was that was paying for all those people with media passes to spend 3 days shooting BSB and for how many photos to get used?

I'd disagree with your comment that all of those bar the last one were achievable.

Sure the first one, that is actually taken from a public area no? (BTW that is a cracking shot)

The second one is also similar to some I have.

But after that you need some serious glass to get those shots... especially, ironically the brolly dollies in the pit lane...

Who is it you work for? I spent my time there wondering who it was that was paying for all those people with media passes to spend 3 days shooting BSB and for how many photos to get used?

The first image is from a kneeling position so everybody in the public area behind can still see and take photo's.
Second shot is from past the complex, there is a small gate that you can shot through to get the angle. (After years of using this from the public side I can put my leg work to good use and now step through the gate.)
The BSB promotors MSVR restrict the grid and pit lane access for the togs who work the series, so us also rans have to make do with shooting the girls during the pit lane walk about.
The crash shot you would be able to get through the fence if you turned and faced the direction the bikes are coming from whilst stood at the gap I mentioned earlier.
The last one is shot from the inside of the chicane, the angle is just there if you have over 1000mm from the marshals hut by the track crossing.
Don't get hung up on the idea that a pass is the be all and end all. Yes lots of shots get the same but by being ready to shot every time means you can tell the race story lap by lap, who passed who, catch the crash etc etc expect the unexpected.
As for who "we" work for varies and the selection is mainly down to picture editors. Give him what he wants (when he wants it) and a little bit more could mean the difference between you and the next man or even the guys (and girls) on the public side of the fence.

Shaun

Sorry for the other long winded reply!

tena for men??? did he hit a puddle??

LOL no but he needed them during this moment!

wow what a cracking crash shot! Awesome timing. Fantastic shots the lot of them.
I was tempted to go round to the chicane but took Erics advice and went over to the complex.

Have seen your shots, the complex is one of the places I have good and bad days, your Laverty shot is my fav with the Relentless bike and backdrop. On purpose or by accident?

Fantastic set. Well caught on the crash, and the last one is a beauty. Girls are not bad either ;)

Great crash shot, you can almost see the pain on his face.

Nicely captured, sharp and lovely colours.

Well Done ,Boggy .
I really enjoyed looking at a great set for variety,and the birdies .:clap:
The crash shot is spot on .:clap:
Pons

That crash shot is brill.

Thanks very much chaps,

Shaun

Shaun,

What I meant is how on earth can it take 40+ people to cover a national race meeting - looking at the kit there are people seriously all geared up - it simply cannot be a game worth investing in can it?

Very nice :cool:
Cheers
Nice shots Shaun First & Last for me mate spot on exposure great comp , the first one guides your eye round to the back of the pack nice , so how the footie coming on :)
You still alive! ha ha Thought I might have seen you this weekend, then remembered you've been down in the forest shooting wildlife (don't you have to have the Queens permission to shoot things in the New Forest? ha ha) Footie at the mo is 1-0 to your team! Like a fool (read drunk) I signed on for a side to "help out" and have played alot since. Spend alot of time retired from the game so might aswell give it one last go!
Glad you like the post.

Shaun,

What I meant is how on earth can it take 40+ people to cover a national race meeting - looking at the kit there are people seriously all geared up - it simply cannot be a game worth investing in can it?
There are some people that shoot on there own and others that shoot in teams, thus making sure they have every angle covered. It is very hard to get clients and therefore, to keep them you have to make sure you can cover everything otherwise one of the teams will have the shot. You only get out what you put in. Invest, hard work and effort will pay off in the end but it all takes time.
Reading your post it will be interesting to see what you think of the circuits. I would love a Jerez or Valencia style track over here.

Did you get any of #72 in the 125s??
Sorry Matt was using the 125's to move around, grab portraits, teams, coffee etc as I did'nt have any requirements in the race.

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

There are some people that shoot on there own and others that shoot in teams, thus making sure they have every angle covered. It is very hard to get clients and therefore, to keep them you have to make sure you can cover everything otherwise one of the teams will have the shot. You only get out what you put in. Invest, hard work and effort will pay off in the end but it all takes time.

That really seems like a lot of hard work chasing something down...

So how many photos actually got sold and what did they go for? Go on tell us roughly...

I'm just trying to highlight that 3 days work away from home and 10 grands worth of kit adds up to an income of....

Most of us on here must have dreamt of that wonderful "freelance pro motorsport tog" job, but unless you work for a publication who pays your expenses, kit bill and at least some salary its got to be hardly a mortgage paying gig is it?

Reading your post it will be interesting to see what you think of the circuits. I would love a Jerez or Valencia style track over here.

Yeah I expect dissapointment on a weekly basis with this one :bonk:

Bikes really aren't where the UK is at though is it. Yeah sure WSB and BSB is quite popular, but not as popular as the cars and certainly not really a mainstream sport in the UK. So I guess we shall never see our Jerez :shake:

Cheers!

Andy

As an ex-BSB snapper who has been told by other people I take good shots, I can tell you categorically it is very hard to recoup your expenses let alone your equipment investment.

I got the front cover of Motorcycle Racer magazine in 2006 and was paid only £50 for that. Prestige is nice but that doesn't pay my mortgage sadly so I decided at the end of 2007 to quit BSB. Few people on the outside realise what goes into getting great shots so when you end up having someone trying to knock your £10 print down in price you ask yourself what's the point.

I can safely say that it's not what you know or can do, it is who you know, that will get you anywhere in BSB and probably alot of other motorsports.

There are 3 main agencies covering bike racing photography that get approached for a large proportion of the shots. Unless you have a friendly editor, your only other 'in' is to have that shot of the meeting (i.e. Harris getting hit by the errant Rizla GXR1000), but once again that won't cover your expenses or a £7k 400mm f2.8

Guy

That's how I figured it would be Guy... thanks for sharing the inside view.

While we are talking selling pics... anyone know if it is remotely possible to commercially exploit a pic taken as a member of the public? You know other than just chancing your arm and hoping the circuit/race series doesn't come after you with a legal claim...

That's how I figured it would be Guy... thanks for sharing the inside view.

While we are talking selling pics... anyone know if it is remotely possible to commercially exploit a pic taken as a member of the public? You know other than just chancing your arm and hoping the circuit/race series doesn't come after you with a legal claim...

Without wanting to totally hijack the original intent of this thread, the way I understand it is if you intend to sell to the public as a non-BSB media accredited individual, you may fall fowl of the series' 'commercial rights holders' (i.e. MSVR), but if you are supplying your work to bonefide media outlets then you can do that as you own the intellectual rights to your work.

1 and 4 for me Boggy, great shots :) Quite like the tilt too (y)

Quite like the tilt too (y)

Steady, somebody saying they like a tilted shot on a forum!:LOL:

Cheers Dod.

Andy, ref the selling of pictures, I'm sure that last year(or year before) dorna ,the rights holders then, tried to throw there weight around with emails and I would assume MSVR will carry on seeking license money to sell prints to the public.

Guidoh, sorry Guy........... Missed you at Thruxton this year, now I know why. You would recognize me as we have spoken briefly at some race meets.
If somebody like you can't make it (if others are reading this Guys stuff is top notch) just goes to show it's not what you know but who you know.

Re coup expenses, thats a laugh, and as for the quote "friendly editor".......... let me know when you find one ha ha.
Will you be snapping anything or have you had to get a day job?

Shaun

Steady, somebody saying they like a tilted shot on a forum!:LOL:

Cheers Dod.

Andy, ref the selling of pictures, I'm sure that last year(or year before) dorna ,the rights holders then, tried to throw there weight around with emails and I would assume MSVR will carry on seeking license money to sell prints to the public.

Guidoh, sorry Guy........... Missed you at Thruxton this year, now I know why. You would recognize me as we have spoken briefly at some race meets.
If somebody like you can't make it (if others are reading this Guys stuff is top notch) just goes to show it's not what you know but who you know.

Re coup expenses, thats a laugh, and as for the quote "friendly editor".......... let me know when you find one ha ha.
Will you be snapping anything or have you had to get a day job?

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your note and kind words re. my work.

I had to get a day job long ago to cover my work. Happily now that means it involves photography too.

I was extremely demotivated by the end of '07 after 4 years flogging a dead horse as they say. It's only in the past month that I've picked up my camera again on a weekend. I did the New Era round at Oulton this past weekend and actually enjoyed it so the signs aren't all bad re. my motivation.

Not quite sure what I'll be doing now. I put everything into my BSB stuff and felt peeved it wasn't appreciated.

Still not over that feeling fully, so I'm just concentrating on my day work for now cos at least that's paying my bills. To be honest I'm really looking forward to getting on my own bike for a change this year. It's been collecting dust for the past 3.

Regards, Guy

To be honest I'm really looking forward to getting on my own bike for a change this year. It's been collecting dust for the past 3.

Regards, Guy

No wonder it's been raining!!!!

Glad your back "in the saddle" (ha ha) so to speak, can't keep a good snapper down.

Hope to see you trackside someday,

Shaun

Back