Thruxton, what length will do?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm planning on venturing to the BTCC when it comes around in May. It's only down the road from me so I though why not? :)

Anywho, I'm in the market for a general purpose telephoto but I've got one eye on this event to make sure I've got enough length. I'm using Canon (only a 1000d atm :() and I've narrowed it down to either the 70-300 IS or 70-200 F4. I'm leaning towards the 70-200 as it seems to be great value for money in regards to picture quality etc but just wanted to make sure it would be long enough for Thruxton.

If any of you have been there and used either lens your input would be most welcome.

For cars at Thruxton a 70-200 will do, assuming you want race action and not uncropped really tight single car shots.

Hmmmm, thanks guys, that is certainly food for thought. Yes I could put a converter on but that's more money right there. I'm also thinking that if I get a taste for motorsport photography I'm need more length sooner or later, so maybe the longer lens is the way to go. :thinking:

A decent 70-200 will always be a top pick for a motorsport lens. Its my most used lens by a long way.

The long stuff I do use a fair bit, but would consider the 70-200 as the building block on which to start your kit pile.

If you can, get the f2.8 non-IS one... takes a 1.4x TC better - and get that next as Gary says.

200 will be just about ok. Stand at the entry to the complex and shoot the cars coming into the corner. You can try up at the chicane but its normally a bunfight for a bit of space up there.

Coming into the complex @250mm:
3484496730_7190275b1a.jpg

Middle of the complex @ 220mm
4495137740_e66c861316.jpg

Looking back to the first corner of the complex @ 220
4495248012_3acea5b223.jpg

Go on the Saturday as well, it will be quieter, so easier to get a spot and move about a bit to find one you like.

Thanks Mark, that certainly gives me an idea of the sort of shots I can get with that range. It's a way off yet anyway, time to save some monies!

sorry to hijack the thread. I've just purchased my tickets for the sunday along with the paddock pass. Now this is the first motorsport ive been too, so just wondering how much access do you have in the paddock, are the pits accessable before the race?

what can you actually see in the paddock, lol?

You'll get to wander around and see the teams get the cars ready, maybe the odd driver hanging about. Thats about it. I can't remember if you can get in whilst the races are going on at Thruxton.

At lunchtimes they usually open the pit lane and anyone can get in, drivers usually do autograph sessions.. its not open for long and generally very busy.

Seems there are a few of us going so we'll have to do a thread in "meeting places" nearer the time.

BTCC have a pit lane walkabout just before the first race where you can meet the drivers, get autographs. It gets packed.

However, if you lurk around the back of the pits you can meet the drivers and get photos from there.

What do you see - rows and rows of trucks. Awnings. Support cars. The odd driver walking around. Lots of tyres.

I've just purchased my tickets for the sunday along with the paddock pass. Now this is the first motorsport ive been too, so just wondering how much access do you have in the paddock, are the pits accessable before the race?

what can you actually see in the paddock, lol?

If it's the first motorsport you've ever been to, there'll be plenty of interest to see in the paddock. Even though the BTCC teams will be in the garages, all the supporting competitors will be quite visible and accessible under their awnings.

Hi,

I'm planning on venturing to the BTCC when it comes around in May. It's only down the road from me so I though why not? :)

Anywho, I'm in the market for a general purpose telephoto but I've got one eye on this event to make sure I've got enough length. I'm using Canon (only a 1000d atm :() and I've narrowed it down to either the 70-300 IS or 70-200 F4. I'm leaning towards the 70-200 as it seems to be great value for money in regards to picture quality etc but just wanted to make sure it would be long enough for Thruxton.

If any of you have been there and used either lens your input would be most welcome.

What about the 55-250IS?

Back