Thunderbirds Go!!

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Spent the day at a baking Waddington today for the arrivals of tomorrows air show.
All I'm really interested in photgraphing tomorrow are the Thunderbirds Display team. So today was an attempt to suss out what they will be doing.
The light was harsh and bright at times, with the occasional cloudy patch.

It soon became appparent that whit aircraft with white fluff aren't the easiest to expose for:
DSC_18b.jpg

See what I mean! :bang:
DSC_9019.jpg

How to wreck what could have been agreat shot. Tracking the wrong aircraft. Hoped he would be at the front.
DSC_9049.jpg

DSC_9203.jpg

DSC_9224.jpg

DSC_9229.jpg

Will try harder tomorrow. I'll be shooting into the sun most of the day though. :bang:

Kev.

Don't try too hard, these are really great as they are. I would be more than happy if i'd taken these.

I'm sure that the next set you take will be even better, judging by your other work.

I will have to see if I can get somwhere near your standard when I go to RIAT in a couple of weeks.

Nice Work

Doug

as said mate these r stunning no.need to try harder. . Thanks for a great day roll on tomorrow

excellent set. I so cant wait to go to an air show this month! :)

Good luck tomorrow

Amazing shots! What were you shooting these with?
Seem to be stood in a similar spot to me :)

Thank you all for taking the time to comment. Appreciated. Another quick one before bed. early stat tomorrow.

DSC_8878.jpg

Most shot with 300mm and 2 x converter

Nothing wrong with them, love 'em, i can't wait to see them in action tomorrow from Coleby Heath ! (yes i know saving £20 ticket) lol

Thanks again. But I'm really not happy with the loss of detail in number 2. I didn't even think about the aircraft being white would create a problem with the 'fluff'.
I could do with a day not so bright today.
Also I totally screwed up number 3. It's difficult enough getting the cross over, but to focus on the wrong aircraft! It was just natural to track the aircraft coming towards me rather than away.
Hopefully that will be resolved today when we are opposite the aircraft at centreline. Bet I miss the shot!!!
Thanks again.

Kev.

Amazing shots! What were you shooting these with?
Seem to be stood in a similar spot to me :)

Sorry Jamie,
I missed your post. I used a mixture of the D300 and D3s. The D3s had the 300mm 2.8 witht he 2 x converter fitted (most of the time) and the D300 with the 70-200mm.
I was with Ryan. We spent most of the time stood on the tailgate of a grey Range Rover. We were glowing a bit by the end of the day from sunburn. :D
Please tell me that the GR4 role demo practise didn't happen after we left. :crying:

Kev.

Last edited:
Thanks again. But I'm really not happy with the loss of detail in number 2. I didn't even think about the aircraft being white would create a problem with the 'fluff'.
I could do with a day not so bright today.
Also I totally screwed up number 3. It's difficult enough getting the cross over, but to focus on the wrong aircraft! It was just natural to track the aircraft coming towards me rather than away.
Hopefully that will be resolved today when we are opposite the aircraft at centreline. Bet I miss the shot!!!
Thanks again.

Kev.
Kev if you turn highlight alert on then you will see by glancing on the screen if anything has blown

Kev if you turn highlight alert on then you will see by glancing on the screen if anything has blown

Yes I know mate. I just got caught out with how white the paintwork was. :eek: I'm so used to shooting our grey against grey weather. :LOL:
The white fluff against the white paintwork just looses it's effect in my opinion. I'm just being a grinch. :D
I may go back to the Raw files and see what I can do. These were very quick edits. Contrast/resize etc.

Kev.

Sorry Jamie,
I missed your post. I used a mixture of the D300 and D3s. The D3s had the 300mm 2.8 witht he 2 x converter fitted (most of the time) and the D300 with the 70-2000mm.
I was with Ryan. We spent most of the time stood on the tailgate of a grey Range Rover. We were glowing a bit by the end of the day from sunburn. :D
Please tell me that the GR4 role demo practise didn't happen after we left. :crying:

Kev.

Now that's a zoom lens:p

Love that first shot Kev(y)

Mark

these are stunning and your timing is top notch, #5 looks like they are parked on top of each other - simply amazing.

brilliant brilliant shots...!!! No.2 is brill...Dare I ask what lens was used??

some lovely shots there. I was there both Sat and Sun. On the Sat the main problem was, along with sun position, the amount of smoke that was hanging in the air which spoilt a lot of the shots. On sunday it seemed like the cloud waited for them to display!

kevshore said:
300mm with 2 x converter on FF body. So, 600mm.

Kev.

Thanks...guess it's time to buy convertors..was it a Nikon lens though..?? I am considering changing my Tamron which I think is rubbish around 300 marks.

I've got to agree with majority about the quality of those shots.

I was there on Sunday and when I got home again yesterday to check the shots I'd got thought that some of them were quite reasonable, but now I've seen these and my shots look mediocre at best!

All good, but 5 and 6 are my favourites. Bit of bad luck with the pair of planes that crossed over and you were focussed on the plane at the back, heh.

I love image 2, the fact that it's slightly blown doesn't detract IMO. Horses for courses I suppose, if I'd taken that I'd be jumping up and down for joy.

Thanks again for the comments. Appreciated.:)

Thanks...guess it's time to buy convertors..was it a Nikon lens though..?? I am considering changing my Tamron which I think is rubbish around 300 marks.

Nikon 300mm 2.8vr and latest Nikon converter. Worth every penny if you can hold it up all day at airshows. :D

Kev.

Fantastic as always Kev, not sure what you're moaning about in the first ones they look great. But saying that I can't comment in detail as the TP App on the iPad is appalling for some reason :s

But great shots, hope you are keeping well anyway not seen you in ages.

Are you going to Fairford? It's only a 5min drive from my house and I know a place to watch it from for good photograph opportunities and you're more than welcome to stay over to stop the long drive.

some lovely shots there. I was there both Sat and Sun. On the Sat the main problem was, along with sun position, the amount of smoke that was hanging in the air which spoilt a lot of the shots. On sunday it seemed like the cloud waited for them to display!

I was there Saturday. The smoke from the Thunderbirds ruined any chance of a decent shot. Far too much smoke. :bang:
We either had smoke, black clouds or bright sunlight to contend with. Super!

Kev.

kevshore said:
Thanks again for the comments. Appreciated.:)

Nikon 300mm 2.8vr and latest Nikon converter. Worth every penny if you can hold it up all day at airshows. :D

Kev.

Thanks..

Hi Kev - absolutely stunning. Having tried the same kit at Kemble, I know how hard it is to get good shots. Well done matey - back to butts! Took about 500 shots with the 300/2.8 and 2xTC on the D3s and pectorals aching for about four days afterwards
Thanks for all your advice
REgards
MERV:thinking:

Hi Kev - absolutely stunning. Having tried the same kit at Kemble, I know how hard it is to get good shots. Well done matey - back to butts! Took about 500 shots with the 300/2.8 and 2xTC on the D3s and pectorals aching for about four days afterwardsThanks for all your advice
REgards
MERV:thinking:

:LOL: You'll soon get used to it Merv. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots. (y)

Kev.

Fantastic as always Kev, not sure what you're moaning about in the first ones they look great. But saying that I can't comment in detail as the TP App on the iPad is appalling for some reason :s

But great shots, hope you are keeping well anyway not seen you in ages.

Are you going to Fairford? It's only a 5min drive from my house and I know a place to watch it from for good photograph opportunities and you're more than welcome to stay over to stop the long drive.

So sorry for the late reply Jamie! :bang: Somehow I missed your post at the bottom of the page. I am coming down to Fairford with Ryan and another friend.
We booked our accomodation and paid for it months ago. But thank you for the kind offer. (y)
Tickets have arrived also. So going on base. We are coming down for arrivals on Friday, if you are availible? Really do need to catch up. First week in October for Wales mate. Get it booked off work. (y)

Kev.

Back