Ticino - Southern Switzerland

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Some results from last weekend in Ticino trying my hand at landscapes, feedback on potential improvements welcome. One thing I have struggled with is consistent white balance between the pictures for example.

1. 5D4_2114-Edit by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

2. untitled-1932-Edit by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

3. untitled-2287-Edit-2-Edit by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

and a couple with infra-red

4. Landscape-1935-Edit by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

5. Landscape-1932-Edit by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

It's not necessary to get the same white balance under different weather conditions - cloud vs bright sunshine will naturally produce different colour temperatures - but you have balanced will here.

The thing that leaps out immediately here is heavy handed use of the clarity or micro-contrast control in whatever package you used to develop them. I'll wait to crit further when I can view them on a more suitable screen.

It's not necessary to get the same white balance under different weather conditions - cloud vs bright sunshine will naturally produce different colour temperatures - but you have balanced will here.

The thing that leaps out immediately here is heavy handed use of the clarity or micro-contrast control in whatever package you used to develop them. I'll wait to crit further when I can view them on a more suitable screen.

@ancient_mariner thank you! I'm using using lightroom with color efex. Normally I use clarity at max 30 in lightroom and then in color efex the detail extractor at 10. I'll take another look and dial back.

OK, now back on my usual screen instead of laptop - they look just a tiny bit overcooked here, and I do mean a tiny bit. When I process with 2 packages I tend to use an effect like clarity in either one package or the other, or if I do use both then clarity may get a small - 5 to 10 unit - bump in LR before exporting. I like Nik effects, but the structure control is a bit of a double edged sword, sometimes adding artifacts to an image if one isn't careful.

I use Perfect Effects sometimes, and early on I'd use the dynamic contrast control quite heavily, ending up with a very hard picture, lacking in smoothness. These days I actually seek out a smoother image, sometimes rolling off clarity up to -40 to reduce the hardness of an image.

OK, now back on my usual screen instead of laptop - they look just a tiny bit overcooked here, and I do mean a tiny bit. When I process with 2 packages I tend to use an effect like clarity in either one package or the other, or if I do use both then clarity may get a small - 5 to 10 unit - bump in LR before exporting. I like Nik effects, but the structure control is a bit of a double edged sword, sometimes adding artifacts to an image if one isn't careful.

I use Perfect Effects sometimes, and early on I'd use the dynamic contrast control quite heavily, ending up with a very hard picture, lacking in smoothness. These days I actually seek out a smoother image, sometimes rolling off clarity up to -40 to reduce the hardness of an image.
Thank you again! I will adjust and research more the best workflow combining the tools.

Good compositions, light and moods in all of these but the processing is just a bit too heavy.

My advice is to as per @ancient_mariner 's. Plus 15-25 clarity in LR is fine. You will sharpen as well.

Don't in my advice use the detail extractor in colour FX. You might be able to use 1% but there is really no need. Same with the dynamic contrast slider, any more than 15% and its going into the world of the hyper real.

Good compositions, light and moods in all of these but the processing is just a bit too heavy.

My advice is to as per @ancient_mariner 's. Plus 15-25 clarity in LR is fine. You will sharpen as well.

Don't in my advice use the detail extractor in colour FX. You might be able to use 1% but there is really no need. Same with the dynamic contrast slider, any more than 15% and its going into the world of the hyper real.

Stephen, thank you :)

Back