Tick bite. Should i be worried?

I just hope that there hasn't been too much damage done in the intervening 7 weeks or so. While the infection can be halted, any damage already done can be permanent.

I just hope that there hasn't been too much damage done in the intervening 7 weeks or so. While the infection can be halted, any damage already done can be permanent.
Unfortunately they wouldn't do anything without symptoms which i totally understand. I had been preoccupied looking for the rash and didn't really think much of the headaches. It was only the dizziness that raised the red flag. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear you are now symptomatic. Glad they’ve given you the antibiotics. Hope it sorts things out for you. Antibiotics seemed to have sorted mine out, thankfully. I suffer headaches anyway and there hasn’t been any increase in them at all. It took about three and a half weeks for the rash to go.

Sorry to hear you are now symptomatic. Glad they’ve given you the antibiotics. Hope it sorts things out for you. Antibiotics seemed to have sorted mine out, thankfully. I suffer headaches anyway and there hasn’t been any increase in them at all. It took about three and a half weeks for the rash to go.
It's so weird. I now have pain in my right wrist which is annoying as my job requires me to lift 5 metre lengths of pvc all day so no fun right now. I am hopeful all this will clear up as the antibiotics take effect. Glad yours did.

And of all the citrus fruits it's only Grapefruit, and my favourite. I am on statins so grapefruit is a nono. Being a toxicologist I was aware of all these drug-drug interactions, and if one of our candidate medicines induced a certain liver metabolyzing enzyme, grapefruit was out in the first in man trials,
Several things I take warn of grapefruit (no problem to me) but now I’ve been banned from Seville Oranges as well which is is a problem, no more marmalade, sigh ... :(.

Impacted on me really badly. Ended up with two stays in Hospital in isolation. Both times by ambulance as my temperature went high enough to make me unconscious. I had everybody involved including at one point the Liverpool tropical medicine unit. Never quite got to the bottom of what actually happened in terms of a reaction but the general consensus was Ticks. Still have treatment now for serious joint pain, kidney issues and lethargy, almost three years later. The second time I was rushed in I was actually out of it for three days and woke up in another isolation room. It was terrifying.

The symptoms described were like mine. I also had sensitivity to light for which they gave me a lumbar puncture (I think that’s what that was called). Not nice. They treated me with a combination of three intravenous antibiotics over a two week period each time I was hospitalised. The third antibiotic was like having bleach injected. It hurt. My hair fell out and I lost almost two stone in weight. The second time I went in I was totally out of it and delirious for three days.

You hear all kinds of blasé crap about tick bites but the disease that they carry and the impact if you get a reaction can be life changing. The other thing is never take a tick off by pulling it or squeezing it. The advice about using a credit card is crackers! If the head is left in or the tick regurgitates you will have a problem. Always use a tick remover and twist gently. Also never remove by smothering with Vaseline like some people recommend either. I have two gun dogs and we are out all the time. I have a new found fear and respect for ticks. They frighten me to death now. Many GP’s particularly in cities don’t have a clue about how dangerous tick bites can be.

The GPs can certainly do a blood test after a few weeks. I know because I had it last year and then had a flu like coronovirus to coincide, but no specific rash. Test was negative, corona went away and all is good so far. I think that's better than blindly taking antibiotics; a week or so difference probably won't change the outcome much.

P.S. If you fancy picking up some head to the Elan valley and walk through the heather. You'll get anywhere between a few to 100. The beautiful part is if you can find all 100 right there and then and laugh in their little smug faces.

Impacted on me really badly. Ended up with two stays in Hospital in isolation. Both times by ambulance as my temperature went high enough to make me unconscious. I had everybody involved including at one point the Liverpool tropical medicine unit. Never quite got to the bottom of what actually happened in terms of a reaction but the general consensus was Ticks. Still have treatment now for serious joint pain, kidney issues and lethargy, almost three years later. The second time I was rushed in I was actually out of it for three days and woke up in another isolation room. It was terrifying.

The symptoms described were like mine. I also had sensitivity to light for which they gave me a lumbar puncture (I think that’s what that was called). Not nice. They treated me with a combination of three intravenous antibiotics over a two week period each time I was hospitalised. The third antibiotic was like having bleach injected. It hurt. My hair fell out and I lost almost two stone in weight. The second time I went in I was totally out of it and delirious for three days.

You hear all kinds of blasé crap about tick bites but the disease that they carry and the impact if you get a reaction can be life changing. The other thing is never take a tick off by pulling it or squeezing it. The advice about using a credit card is crackers! If the head is left in or the tick regurgitates you will have a problem. Always use a tick remover and twist gently. Also never remove by smothering with Vaseline like some people recommend either. I have two gun dogs and we are out all the time. I have a new found fear and respect for ticks. They frighten me to death now. Many GP’s particularly in cities don’t have a clue about how dangerous tick bites can be.
Jesus. Hopefully i will avoid some of the symptoms you had. The credit card thing worked perfectly by the way. Maybe beginners luck but no issues whatsoever. Just swept it off.

I know 3 people who have/had Lyme disease.
One was wrongly diagnosed over 20 year's ago and Lyme was not discovered for 3 years. He has incurable part paralysis on one side of his face.
Another is a lady about 30 yo. who developed Lyme disease approx. 10 years ago. She can no longer work and some days struggles to summon the energy to get out of bed.
The third is a lady (late 60's) who was diagnosed (after a long period of testing) two months ago. It is not known when she was bitten and the first symptom was severe persistent headache. She has some facial paralysis and loss of vision in one eye. There has been no improvement with treatment (anti-b's mainly).

My vet removes ticks with suitable tweezers. The little O'Tom or tick twister tools are the easiest and safest for unskilled people to use.

Ticks are dangerous little critters that will attach to any warm bloodied animal (and birds) to get a feed of blood to keep their reproductive system working. Some of these hosts (not deer) carry Borrelia bacteria and that can cause Lyme disease.

Not all ticks carry the bacteria and not all that are carrying it will transmit it. As with most diseases, the sooner it is diagnosed the better the chance of successful treatment.

I didn’t know there is/was a vaccine:

Despite the lack of evidence that the complaints were caused by the vaccine, sales plummeted and LYMErix was withdrawn from the U.S. market by GlaxoSmithKline in February 2002,[162] in the setting of negative media coverage and fears of vaccine side effects.[161][163] The fate of LYMErix was described in the medical literature as a "cautionary tale";[163] an editorial in Nature cited the withdrawal of LYMErix as an instance in which "unfounded public fears place pressures on vaccine developers that go beyond reasonable safety considerations."[20]

Now where have we heard this sort of thing before? :(.

Thanks for posting about tick bites. I've had many over the years without a problem but will be extra careful about them in future.

First tick that attached to me was in the late 60's. Lyme was unknown until 1976.
I have lived in a very rural area for nearly 45 years. For over 20 years I walked my dogs all over the area and, like other dog walking residents, never had a problem with ticks. Now they are prolific. My vet told me that council maintained grass area are very bad because the grass is not being cut (Covid !!!).

First tick that attached to me was in the late 60's. Lyme was unknown until 1976.
I have lived in a very rural area for nearly 45 years. For over 20 years I walked my dogs all over the area and, like other dog walking residents, never had a problem with ticks. Now they are prolific. My vet told me that council maintained grass area are very bad because the grass is not being cut (Covid !!!).
Going by the location in your profile, I wouldn’t call that rural, kind of remote, good communication links, but tick (& deer) free I would think :).

Going by the location in your profile, I wouldn’t call that rural, kind of remote, good communication links, but tick (& deer) free I would think :).
Locations in profiles sometimes need to be taken with a large pinch of salt mine. Encountering deer are an almost daily occurrence for me :)

Locations in profiles sometimes need to be taken with a large pinch of salt mine. Encountering deer are an almost daily occurrence for me :)
I thought you’d be more likely to encounter Richard Hannay there :).

Back