Tide and Sunrise at same time

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I will be away this weekend and on checking TPE and tides times I see that the tide will be out which will uncover some low level rocks. I intend to take some photos but I'm unsure where the best place may be.
Down on the beach or up on the cliffs, it will be one or the other, any idea's. I have attached the TPE screen of the location. I have a feeling that down on the beach it will be just rocks and sea if using wide angle. I don't expect much cloud
so being to the west of the pointer will not give a nice coloured sunrise. If I'm to the south east it would be lite from the side, maybe close up of the rocks.

Sunday.JPG

Many thanks for any opinions expressed.

Pete

Pete local knowledge of the beach may be necessary as some locations are dangerous when the tide comes in.

Where is this?
How much experience do you have of the tides in this area?
Do you know if thgere is a path to the beach in this area?
Rocks like are that are usually very slippery in fact often like ice.
Do you want close up wave action or do you think there is a good composition to be had from the cliffs?

Look here https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/

The info in a tide table needs to be iterpreted as local variations can be dramatic.

Last edited:
Pete local knowledge of the beach may be necessary as some locations are dangerous when the tide comes in.

Where is this?
How much experience do you have of the tides in this area?
Do you know if thgere is a path to the beach in this area?
Rocks like are that are usually very slippery in fact often like ice.
Do you want close up wave action or do you think there is a good composition to be had from the cliffs?

Look here https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/

The info in a tide table needs to be iterpreted as local variations can be dramatic.

Hi Alf

This is on the Somerset Coast near to Watchet, where the tide table shows it is out at 05.55 on Saturday and 06.07 on Sunday. The tides go a long way out and the rocks will be uncovered, this I know.
High Tide is around midnight and midday give or take an hour. Sunrise will be just before 5am.
I can get down to the beach no problems, access to the cliff tops further along is more difficult at hide tide so again no problem at this time of day, it is on the somerset coastal path.
I'm not looking for wave action, it's more about the limestone ledges, do I get a close up with the rising (hopefully golden) sunlight from close up, or be up on the cliff top getting a wide angle shot looking down covering the whole area of exposed rocks.
I think I will try from the beach, much easier access as the coastal path was a bit overgrown last time along it.

seach for "st audries bay limestone ledges" on google images for some photos of the area.

This part of Somerset is going to be an area of interest as we have just purchased a static caravan in the area.
There are some cracking sunsets and views from the Quantock hills.

Pete

Well Pete you at least know the area and will have more than one chance to catcth scene.
So you will be able to work out over time whether you want to shoot from above or at the waters edge depending on conditions.

Exposure time is key IMO but for seriously deepends on sea conditions as long exposures (multiple seconds) work better on faily calm water but often require a minute or more to get the effect at its best.
For roungher seas I prefer shuuter speeds under 1/2 sec myself to draw patterns experimentation is the key.
If the wind is onshore and the sea is rough be prepeared for some horrendous spray.
Always keep an eye on the waves I often shoot with one eye on the viewfinder and one on the waves. Though setting up and shooting with a cable release is better.
Kepp an eye out for the sea surrounding you.

Observe wave actions for a short while before aproaching the edge of rocks or sections at sea level if the waves are big at all. You ofetn get sets where a big wave will come every so often so keep an eye out further than just in front of you.

I have played in the sea and big waves all my life.

splash by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Hi Seaodyssey,

This section of the Somerset coast is lovely, and the geological outcrops are fantastic. I am unsure if you've been down below the cliffs before but many of the rocks are covered with seaweed so suitable footwear is definitely needed. I've photographed nearby before but only from a geological standpoint (the rocks really are fantastic!); if I was able to do it again and alone I would try and find an area where the geological bedding was pseudo-perpendicular to the coast and shoot with the sun rise just off centre.

If it's windy you may have an issue with seaweed movement during a long exposure shot.

The alternations of the limestone and shale beds also make lovely B&W images - just another idea for you if you are going to be in the area.

Be careful near the cliffs themselves; they tend to fall down in chunks in places.

Let me know if you want any detailed geological information or specific places where you can identify features!

Here's a couple of the pictures I took.

The classic beach rock pool shot
Small Sunrise.jpg

And one which shows the Limestone pavement.

I leant a few things on this shoot.
1 - You can't see the backscreen while looking into the sun.
2 - Check the camera settings before going out, I had auto ISO and a high shutter speed set in SP mode
3 - You can't see the back screen with the sun behind you, I could not see how huch of a shadow the tripod gave, it was much more then I could see.
4 - Always put expensive remote reeases into a secure pocket in the backpack so you don't lose them somewhere on the beach/pebbles.

Small Sunrise2.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Pete

And another one looking the other way.
Small Sunrise3.jpg

I think the 1st two would have been better at Sunset, but the tides would have been wrong.

Not sure if it is the same beach you are going to but Kilve is normally the one to head for.

With this particular location it is on the Bristol Channel which has one of the fastest tides in the World. If you're not used to the tide hear be very very careful as it gets high very fast.

On the other side in Wales it's also very much worth going to the Glamorgan Heritage Coastline. Dunraven Bay is a must but the same safety measures should be taken.

It's about 2km from Kilve beach at the other end of the rock outcrops.

The tide still takes about 6hours from low to high, but yes the difference is large and you need to know the area so you don't get caught out.
It goes out a long way very quickly due to the difference and the same when it comes back in again.
I have yet to see a very high tide here, but the normal range only leaves a few metres of large rocks/pebbles at the cliff base, which I would not like to try and walk on.
You need to check the Tidetables and keep an eye out on what is actually happening.

For shooting into the sun and being able to see the screen, use the old fashioned trick of a black cloth over the camera and your head...it works!

For keeping camera gear free of salt from a salty spray dousing - have a couple of bottles of fresh water with you, distilled is best but standard tap water left to stand overnight (the chlorine vapes off) with a teatowel over the bowl to keep dust out - it will sluice away the salt if you use it straight away - just pour it over the camera and lens, it won't do any harm. Less harm thatn leaving the salt on until you get home....and if you try to clear a filter that has had salty spray on it without washing it, you will scratch the filter with the salt crystals.

Experience is knowledge acquired immediately after the first time you need it. :)

Last edited:
Cobblers - no idea why y post is buried in the quote above! Read the last line. o_O

Bin bags, or better still good polythene tube shaped bags.....put your legs in the bag each. no problem.

Simon you trust whatever system you wish

Even after washing and drying thouroughly after every trip which are frequent my £200 set of legs had fittings that looked like the one on the left the right is the new ones I was sent

Giotto tripod parts by Alf Branch, on Flickr

If you had protected your legs with a barrier of a polythene bag, they wouldn't have got wet - and if you are regularly immersing in salt water, then ACF50 is a wonder corrosion preventative (I certainly wouldn't use WD40, it is garbage in comparison).

ACF50 your new tripod hardware, then put each leg in a long polybag and the water will not come into contact with the metalwork at all.

If you had protected your legs with a barrier of a polythene bag, they wouldn't have got wet - and if you are regularly immersing in salt water, then ACF50 is a wonder corrosion preventative (I certainly wouldn't use WD40, it is garbage in comparison).

ACF50 your new tripod hardware, then put each leg in a long polybag and the water will not come into contact with the metalwork at all.

I will stick with my beach tripod thanks I go too aften and in some terrible conditions standing in water is not a common issue fine spray is though

The ACF50 ill still be useful for your scrapper - it will help it last longer. Or you can just let it corrode away.

Very little will clean off sea spray from a lens or filter this will

http://www.wexphotographic.com/zeis...s3Ob43FdbqY-vaD_Dy-31cu6cWiy8iLFxiBoCN4Xw_wcB

Remember to wash your kit when you get home camnera lens and tripod.
I would avoid repeated use of an expensive tripod at the beach I now have a beach tripod

I have a pack of wet wipes in the car that I use to clean my tripod as an interim clean up before washing with a hosepipe when home. Hoping this is enough to keep it going as it wasn't cheap!

The ACF50 ill still be useful for your scrapper - it will help it last longer. Or you can just let it corrode away.

I find ACF50 a bit sticky, better to spray it into a cloth and wipe the parts. I also use gt85 spray on my car, I think its better than wd40, but who knows.

Here's a couple of the pictures I took.

The classic beach rock pool shot
View attachment 104424

And one which shows the Limestone pavement.

I leant a few things on this shoot.
1 - You can't see the backscreen while looking into the sun.
2 - Check the camera settings before going out, I had auto ISO and a high shutter speed set in SP mode
3 - You can't see the back screen with the sun behind you, I could not see how huch of a shadow the tripod gave, it was much more then I could see.
4 - Always put expensive remote reeases into a secure pocket in the backpack so you don't lose them somewhere on the beach/pebbles.

View attachment 104425

Any comments welcome.

Pete

I see what you're trying to do, but the first shot would work better without the black rocks blocking the view of the sea/horizon (IMO).
If you're going to be down at sea level, then you should try getting some nice light reflecting in the water.
Find some sunrise/beach images that you like and decide what you like about them: foreground interest, reflections, waves, movement, clouds, etc.

You could have a cheap (ie single button) remote release for use in on the beach, save the expensive one for when you need the extra functions like intervalometer. Or just use the 2sec self-timer. It's too easy to drop a remote into the water.

As for protecting the camera, the cheap option is a plastic shower cap, the sort you get in hotel bathrooms. The pop it over the top of the camera and lens and the elastic keeps it on.

Back