Time for a new camera....again

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
I sold my Nikon D750 and 24-120 lens just over a year ago and bought a Fuji XT1 and D7100.
Both great cameras, but I miss my D750 and decided to get another.
But, I saw that the D500 is available and that has me in a quandary
I had a D300 and D300s and loved them both, so an upgrade to the D500 looks sensible, but would it be the best choice?
I don't do sports, rarely photograph anything fast moving ( my D750 coped well at Brands Hatch last year) and worry about the smaller sensor and possible lack of resolution compared to the D750.
I'm just about to order one of them, so what would you suggest I go for and why?
Or is there something else I should be thinking of for a similar price? I'd like to stick with Nikon. ( I have a few FX and DX lenses)

IMO, if your main area of interest(s) lie at the short end, FF is the way to go (and your choice of the D750 is a good 'un!) and if you're more into longer distance stuff, the extra apparent reach that a crop sensor offers would make a Dx body the better choice. OR, go 2nd hand and get one of each - you know it makes sense!!! ;) :p :D

I'd stick with another D750. I was looking to upgrade just after Christmas, I was keeping my older D3/D300/S5pro but was unsure whether to go FX/DX but as I do some motorsport and my lens set up was more DX than FX the D500 was the better choice.

Its not going to help anything, I just want one without any justification whatsoever.
:snaphappy:
Ah, well if it's the thrill of playing with new kit (& that's not a criticism, it's a lifestyle choice) I'd try something you've not had before rather than revisit the D750. How about a 2nd hand D810?

Ah, well if it's the thrill of playing with new kit (& that's not a criticism, it's a lifestyle choice) I'd try something you've not had before rather than revisit the D750. How about a 2nd hand D810?
Bu**er. I've just seen some sample images from a D810............

Its not going to help anything, I just want one without any justification whatsoever.
:snaphappy:

Best response ever.

I haven't tried any of the cameras your looking at but from your listed usages I'd go for the D750.

I've got the D750 and briefly had the D500 along side it. If you don't need the perceived reach and/or frame rate then the D750 is the better camera imo. Whilst there's not a lot in it the D750 has cleaner images, and you get more shallow DOF for a given framing. The flippy screen is also useful for landscapes. The body of the D500 is better though imo, which leads me onto the D810. If you rarely do sports then I would consider the D810 as a serious contender. Or you could even wait for the D850 ;)

I've got the D750 and briefly had the D500 along side it. If you don't need the perceived reach and/or frame rate then the D750 is the better camera imo. Whilst there's not a lot in it the D750 has cleaner images, and you get more shallow DOF for a given framing. The flippy screen is also useful for landscapes. The body of the D500 is better though imo, which leads me onto the D810. If you rarely do sports then I would consider the D810 as a serious contender. Or you could even wait for the D850 ;)
I like the size of the D750, the D810 with its superior resolution is a much bigger body, if I bought one, I can see myself leaving it at home a lot and taking my Fuji X30 out instead.
I did enjoy my D750 last year, I only sold it to raise cash for our house renovation, but now that's finished, we have spare cash again. The D500 is a similar size to the 750 but I don't really need the extra speed and after comparing iq on dpreview, the 500's images look a little too sharpened to me.
I guess you can wind that back a bit in camera though
I think the D750 is the one I fancy, I'll put the order in tomorrow.
Just need to decide whether to get just the body or one of the kits. I had the 24-120 before but see they do a kit with 24-85

I like the size of the D750, the D810 with its superior resolution is a much bigger body, if I bought one, I can see myself leaving it at home a lot and taking my Fuji X30 out instead.
I did enjoy my D750 last year, I only sold it to raise cash for our house renovation, but now that's finished, we have spare cash again. The D500 is a similar size to the 750 but I don't really need the extra speed and after comparing iq on dpreview, the 500's images look a little too sharpened to me.
I guess you can wind that back a bit in camera though
I think the D750 is the one I fancy, I'll put the order in tomorrow.
Just need to decide whether to get just the body or one of the kits. I had the 24-120 before but see they do a kit with 24-85
The D500 body is more akin to the D810 tbh, both have the more rugged build and are a similar size grip. The D750 is noticeably smaller but deeper grip. I think the D500 files you saw must have been over sharpened, I saw no no difference in sharpness in the RAW files. The D750 has the sharpness advantage as it's full frame, but the D500 doesn't have an AA filter so they were about equal imo.

Last edited:
That's interesting about the sizes, do you know how different in size the D500 is to its predecessor, the D300?

as A new Nikon is soon to be announced the older models Like the D810 may drop a bit in price, so worth waiting for a few weeks

Ignore

Last edited:
That's interesting about the sizes, do you know how different in size the D500 is to its predecessor, the D300?
Ignore my comment about size, it's the grip that makes the D500 feel like the D810 rather than physical size. The actual size of the D500 is closer to the D750, although 'feels' quite a bit bigger somehow.

Well, I was all ready to order a D750 with 24-120 f4, but the D810 keeps biting at my ankles.
Ive had a look at all my previous D750 photos and they are very good.
I know the D810 resolution is better, but would I see a difference how I use it? I am a bit of a pixel peeper, but most of the images I sell are printed out to A3 and framed and even my old D50 images turn out looking great.
Don't know whether to toss a coin.......

I'd be more concerned about what she wants in return. This could be the most expensive camera ever. A friend was told he could have a weekend car, it ended up costing a new kitchen and extension to put it in!
I've looked at the car, no damage, no extra handbags in the wardrobe and now she says" just get the one you want and did you want a 70-200vr too?"
I'm really worried now, but I'll order something tomorrow....

Oh, and we just finished refurbishing the house, so no worries about extra cash being spent there...

Last edited:
I've looked at the car, no damage, no extra handbags in the wardrobe and now she says" just get the one you want and did you want a 70-200vr too?"
I'm really worried now, but I'll order something tomorrow....

Oh, and we just finished refurbishing the house, so no worries about extra cash being spent there...

But what has she seen and not yet bought :sneaky:

Well, I just ordered a D750 with 24-120 f4. (y) Decided that nice as the D810 was, it was just too expensive at the moment. I'll put the difference towards a used original 70-200 VR

FedEx tell me my new D750 and lens is arriving sometime tomorrow ( Monday)
Got all my En El15 batteries on charge. I have 1 spare genuine Nikon battery and 3 non Nikon batteries.
One is faulty and won't accept a charge, and looks a bit chubby round the middle.
Guess which of the 4 batteries this is..............

FedEx tell me my new D750 and lens is arriving sometime tomorrow ( Monday)
Got all my En El15 batteries on charge. I have 1 spare genuine Nikon battery and 3 non Nikon batteries.
One is faulty and won't accept a charge, and looks a bit chubby round the middle.
Guess which of the 4 batteries this is..............
Don't let that anywhere near your new camera!

It's going in the battery bin
It's done well, lasted almost a year of light use.....

Back