Time for a new PC

So....I am speaking to you from Edge on Windows 10 :)

It's been a long and reasonably stressful day (amongst the highlights - I can't get my Craft keyboard working on the unifying receiver so in the end I gave in and used Bluetooth - good thing I had another keyboard to set up Bluetooth....)

Disappointingly, CCL @forgot@ to fit the second NVME - though they remembered to charge me for it. So that's arriving "soon" and I'll have to get busy with a screwdriver. Meanwhile I'll have questions about partitioning drives (at first I thought they had also forgotten to fit the 4TB as Windows couldn't find it and neither could I).

Now, how do I find out how fast this is? Oh and is it pretty?View attachment 262271

Nice an tidy!

Now install chrome :D

Next install chrometana and then edge deflector and you’ll never be troubled by ‘bing’ again!

If we are hijacking Jonathan’s thread with our own builds ;)

Ryzen 3800x
Asus x470i mobo
32Gb 3800mhz c16 ram
RTX 2080
500GB 970 Evo nvme boot drive
1TB 970 Evo nvme scratch drive
4TB (2x2TB raid) Samsung ssd drive.
be quiet 700w gold power supply

And yes it had an accident with a Unicorn!

Attachments

• 5FFFE4E9-A692-43E3-BC32-058BFFC00A00.jpeg
    5FFFE4E9-A692-43E3-BC32-058BFFC00A00.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 45

Next install chrometana and then edge deflector and you’ll never be troubled by ‘bing’ again!

Ryzen 3800x
Asus x470i mobo
32Gb 3800mhz c16 ram
RTX 2080

Ha ha love it, I bought rgb but changed my mind at the last minute and going stealth. Nice setup!

Ha ha love it, I bought rgb but changed my mind at the last minute and going stealth. Nice setup!
I was completely happy with my 2700x but overclockers had a Black Friday deal where a 3800x was £315 (plus 2 games which I sold for £40. After selling my 2700 and the cpu cooler that came with the 3800x total cost of swap over was £150 which was difficult to turn down.

Ryzen 3800x
Asus x470i mobo
32Gb 3800mhz c16 ram
RTX 2080

Ooo pretty :) I was tempted by RGB but my machine needs to sit on the floor ont he left of my desk so it's fairly pointless :)

Don't worry - I visited Ninite and installed Chrome and a few more essentials. Chrometana looks a good shout though - thanks!

So I think the last game I actually played on a PC was Doom III...…. I have tosay, Borderlands 3 looks quite pretty on a 32 inch monitor.

Presumably, this is pretty good news.crystal.jpg

So I think the last game I actually played on a PC was Doom III...…. I have tosay, Borderlands 3 looks quite pretty on a 32 inch monitor.

Presumably, this is pretty good news.View attachment 262454

Gotta love those NVMEs - finally the speed of the OS is matched by the speed of the partition its installed on - should end another bottleneck.

Gotta love those NVMEs - finally the speed of the OS is matched by the speed of the partition its installed on - should end another bottleneck.
I am definitely a convert on the NVME front, my new machine isn't as powerful as this one but windows boots in about 10s and autocad opens as fast as word. Lightroom is a breeze too. I was multitasking on some uni work at the weekend and had autocad, word, outlook, qgis and footy manager (got to have breaks sometimes) all running concurrently and it wasn't laggy in the slightest in any of the programmes.

I am definitely a convert on the NVME front, my new machine isn't as powerful as this one but windows boots in about 10s and autocad opens as fast as word. Lightroom is a breeze too. I was multitasking on some uni work at the weekend and had autocad, word, outlook, qgis and footy manager (got to have breaks sometimes) all running concurrently and it wasn't laggy in the slightest in any of the programmes.

I've installed 2 on my Z840 - a 256GB for the OS and a 1TB as a scratchpad - the OS is WIN 10 PRO and I can boot into it even though the NVMEs aren't embedded.

The NVMEs make the "old" SSDs so slow in comparison.

I hate to say it, but I'm really regretting buying from CCL :( It was my decision and I certainly don't blame anybody else but I wish I'd gone to Scan and paid a little more. Issues:
  1. Machine was late - basically they contacted me very late on the day it should have been dispatched to say they hadn't actually started building it.... During the build they just completely ignored my emails which led to....
  2. They forgot to install the second NVME. They charged me for it but just didn't supply or fit it. Fortunately I noticed.... (They actually replied to one email before build which asked if I still wanted the drive - I said yes, you said you were going to fit it. They never replied and never fitted it.)
  3. They sent the drive and I fitted it myself. It's running at half the speed of the other one. I specifically checked this with them before build and they said it would work perfectly. Samsung Disk Magician says otherwise.
  4. As I posted elsewhere the 4TB drive has been supplied in a state where it can't be used and can't be formatted - I'm waiting for a TeamViewer chat with one of their techs to resolve.
  5. Build was delayed because they couldn't get the wifi card they had recommended for Bluetooth to work with the mobo. It turns out they had never fitted one so they had no way of knowing it didn't work..... They just stuck a Bluetooth dongle in the box for twice the Amazon price. It doesn't really work very well.
Sigh...…………..………………...I remember now why I hate PCs. This machine is supposed to be a joy but I've wasted nearly 2 days fiddling with it and it still doesn't work as I'd like. If they can't fix it over TeamViewer then I'm going to explain why I'm due a refund.

Sorry you had this experience. PCs are fine, but a lack of professionalism from a builder isn't. It hope you can get it fixed flawlessly or return it without hassle.

I'm sure they will fix it or I'll get a new one elsewhere.

But I know that if I'd stayed with Mac I would have opened the box, listened for the chord and got to work :) I'd also have paid an extra £2K for the privilege.

I'm sure they will fix it or I'll get a new one elsewhere.

But I know that if I'd stayed with Mac I would have opened the box, listened for the chord and got to work :) I'd also have paid an extra £2K for the privilege.

You could also have done exactly the same thing if you had bought an off the shelf windows desktop from Dell etc.

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a p.c bought from overclockers, yeah it was fantastic spec with everything exactly as I wanted but due to issues I ended up having to return it and bought an XPS desktop from Dell as a replacement with no issues.

I hate to say it, but I'm really regretting buying from CCL :( It was my decision and I certainly don't blame anybody else but I wish I'd gone to Scan and paid a little more. Issues:
  1. Machine was late - basically they contacted me very late on the day it should have been dispatched to say they hadn't actually started building it.... During the build they just completely ignored my emails which led to....
  2. They forgot to install the second NVME. They charged me for it but just didn't supply or fit it. Fortunately I noticed.... (They actually replied to one email before build which asked if I still wanted the drive - I said yes, you said you were going to fit it. They never replied and never fitted it.)
  3. They sent the drive and I fitted it myself. It's running at half the speed of the other one. I specifically checked this with them before build and they said it would work perfectly. Samsung Disk Magician says otherwise.
  4. As I posted elsewhere the 4TB drive has been supplied in a state where it can't be used and can't be formatted - I'm waiting for a TeamViewer chat with one of their techs to resolve.
  5. Build was delayed because they couldn't get the wifi card they had recommended for Bluetooth to work with the mobo. It turns out they had never fitted one so they had no way of knowing it didn't work..... They just stuck a Bluetooth dongle in the box for twice the Amazon price. It doesn't really work very well.
Sigh...…………..………………...I remember now why I hate PCs. This machine is supposed to be a joy but I've wasted nearly 2 days fiddling with it and it still doesn't work as I'd like. If they can't fix it over TeamViewer then I'm going to explain why I'm due a refund.

1. Not really acceptable
2. Pretty easy to fit
3. Could be a speed limitation of the second m2 slot
4. It can definitely be formatted, you should have unplugged all disks except the OS disk when installing windows
5. I can't imagine they can test every board and chip combo, ryzen can do some weird stuff with some hardware combos, I guess they fitted the USB to get it to you sooner but they should've let you decide and fit

Last edited:

3. Could be a speed limitation of the second m2 slot

As above - the second M.2 slot on the Asus X470 Pro board only runs at half the speed of the first slot so your speeds are correct. technically it is working perfectly but depending on the question asked to the team about speed then its likely they have miss informed you.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted without too much resistance.

Your experience above is one of the main reasons why I will never get anyone to do a custom build. I'm much happier doing my own builds.

As above - the second M.2 slot on the Asus X470 Pro board only runs at half the speed of the first slot so your speeds are correct. technically it is working perfectly but depending on the question asked to the team about speed then its likely they have miss informed you.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted without too much resistance.

Your experience above is one of the main reasons why I will never get anyone to do a custom build. I'm much happier doing my own builds.

Yeah, I specifically asked them if the second drive would run at full speed like the first. Obviously I have a blame trail of the misinformation.... :)

I'm not entirely sure what difference this will make to my real world use but it certainly limits my options.

Yeah, I specifically asked them if the second drive would run at full speed like the first. Obviously I have a blame trail of the misinformation.... :)

I'm not entirely sure what difference this will make to my real world use but it certainly limits my options.

I dont think it limits your options, nothing you use now or in the future is going to be anywhere near bottlenecked by that second M2 slot. The difference between a 500r/w sata SSD and full speed 3000+r/w NVME isnt really noticeable in real world. It runs at full speed, full speed on slot 2 of your installed motherboard.

This is your motherboard storage

1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2* SSD support) (M2A_SOCKET)
    * Actual bandwidth may vary by CPU.
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 2.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2B_SOCKET)

Even the more expensive X570 gives the same storage speed/option for M.2.

Last edited:
I dont think it limits your options, nothing you use now or in the future is going to be anywhere near bottlenecked by that second M2 slot. The difference between a 500r/w sata SSD and full speed 3000+r/w NVME isnt really noticeable in real world. It runs at full speed, full speed on slot 2 of your installed motherboard.

This is your motherboard storage

1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2* SSD support) (M2A_SOCKET)
    * Actual bandwidth may vary by CPU.
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 2.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2B_SOCKET)

Even the more expensive X570 gives the same storage speed/option for M.2.
Yes. It's because I don't understand stuff like that that I asked their advice :)

At the very least, I would have bought a cheaper drive.

You (well, ASUS, who designed your motherboard) may be running into a PCI lanes shortage which limits what the motherboard can offer in terms of high speed data transfer. The Ryzen 3900x has 24 lanes, something like the i9 7900x has 44, which gives the motherboard manufacturer more flexibility to add full speed M2 slots, or dual SLI graphics both running at full speed or whatever else their imagination can come up with.

It's not just about cores.

You couldve done but with SSD you arent just paying for the r/w speed. The 970 is superb.

You're right. I'm trying to think what I'd have done if they had said "no, the second drive will run at half speed". I think I would probably have bought the same amchine so maybe it doesn't really matter.

The only real downside I can think of is that it will make me think twice before using RAID. I *probably* wasn't going to do that anyway but matched very high speed drives would make it more likely.

UPDATE: copying a 10GB file from one drive to another just took me about 4 seconds. I guess that will do ;)

Last edited:
You're right. I'm trying to think what I'd have done if they had said "no, the second drive will run at half speed". I think I would probably have bought the same amchine so maybe it doesn't really matter.

The only real downside I can think of is that it will make me think twice before using RAID. I *probably* wasn't going to do that anyway but matched very high speed drives would make it more likely.

UPDATE: copying a 10GB file from one drive to another just took me about 4 seconds. I guess that will do ;)[/QUOTE]

:eek: NICE!

UPDATE: copying a 10GB file from one drive to another just took me about 4 seconds. I guess that will do ;)

BUMMER - that beats mine - I just moved 29GB from my scratchpad to the RamDrive and it took about 24 secs :dummy:

How are you getting on with the Logitech craft? I fancy trying one myself.

Go look at Scan, they are used by the queen, faultless pic built in the UK, they also have high end range the 3XS and do PCs for specific uses, mine runs everything I need from gaming to photoshop and Lightroom.

Go look at Scan, they are used by the queen, faultless pic built in the UK, they also have high end range the 3XS and do PCs for specific uses, mine runs everything I need from gaming to photoshop and Lightroom.

Ccl build in the UK using the same hardware everyone else uses. Nothing unique about scan or other builders, anyone can build, they aren't custom made parts.

Last edited:
If you want to get into building your own machine you can buy really cheap machines on Ebay to get some experience on - I've got SFF machines on there with Duo core processors for £25.00 delivered.

How are you getting on with the Logitech craft? I fancy trying one myself.

I like it very much. I have used an Apple keyboard for years with brief excursions into cheapish keyboards so realise how important a nice keyboard is to me. It's the best feeling keyboard I've ever used - IMO better than the Apple one.

Still uncertain how useful the "Crown" is. But it's a lovely keyboard with a beautiful typing action. You may be able to save some money and get an MX. I got an open box from Amazon for about the price of an MX.

Back