Time for a wax?

Unusual angle but it does have some appeal

Les

I like the composition. I wonder if there would be any mileage in raising the shadows a bit? Something like this perhaps. (I did a couple of other little adjustments too.)

NOT MY IMAGE - Emja fly - raised shadows
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Thanks for taking the time to edit, Nick. Raising the shadows was the first thing I did when I saw the picture, and I didn't really like the result - there's something a bit gothic about the darker version, and I think it draws the eye more to the hairs? Seeing your edit a few days later I'm second guessing myself, as always - I think you're probably right. But I'm not quite sure!

Thanks for taking the time to edit, Nick. Raising the shadows was the first thing I did when I saw the picture, and I didn't really like the result - there's something a bit gothic about the darker version, and I think it draws the eye more to the hairs? Seeing your edit a few days later I'm second guessing myself, as always - I think you're probably right. But I'm not quite sure!

I don't think it's a question of being right Emma, I think its a question of how we see things. Which is to say, differently, for each of us! For me, what my eye was drawn to was the (to my eye) plain black areas. I'm never keen on that, not on the subject. But now you mention the gothic interpretation, I see it differently and think "ah, ok, yes, I can see that." And now I see it differently, and like it more in the version you posted. :)

I like the edit but also get where Emma is coming from about the 'Gothic' look, I reckon raising the shadows just on the tail (up to where the hairs begin to get soft), could be a good compromise and leave the rest of the image, each to their own I suppose.

Back