Time I got a proper MF camera...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
and stopped messing about with the plastic fantastic Holgas. I'm feeling the need for something I can focus properly, and hopefully get half decent shots from.

Up until 6 months ago, or so, I used to borrow a Bronica SQ-Ai from a mate when I needed a MF shooting fix, but as he's now sold it (without giving me first refusal-the sod!) I'm finding myself drawn to getting my own. Looking back on what I'd shot with the Bronny, it appears most of the shots were actually taken using the 120J back (the 6x4.5 one) rather than the square format. So - while it'd be nice to get a SQ-A (or the "i" variant), it seems quite a premium over the ETRS(i) for the very, very occasional shot in 6x6 i'd do.

Also - what's the difference between the "i" and "non-i" versions? I'm assuming that the "i" is a newer camera, and should theoretically be more reliable, but what if any other benefits would I get for my extra money? A quick look at ffordes seems to show the ETRSi going for 50% more than a ETRS. Is this purely because they're a bit newer, and have the 1/2 stop PE lens, or is there something else that I've missed.

I'm not too worried about metering prisms and so forth - I'll stick with the Seikonic 358 for metering (flash or daylight), and the plain old waist level finder for framing things up - just as I did with my mates old camera. It;s lighter that way for one thing :LOL:

The difference between the ETRS and the ETRSi is I think mirror lock-up and TTL off camera flash metering, so not a lot really unless you value mirror lock-up, its 645 so not a humongous mirror.
If you're gonna go 645, there's always Mamiya

Well if you can afford the small extra cost I'd get the prism plus speed grip, and then it's just like a very large 35mm SLR and no reverse images. The PE lenses are supposed to be a bit superior to the older MC and E-II and is reflected in the price, whether you can see a difference is debatable, also the internet says the MC 150mm f4 is inferior to the MC F3.5 version?

There is a difference between the SQ-A and SQ-Ai

The 'i' version has a proper Bulb setting and it will go from 16s to 1/500

The 'non-i' version only goes from 2 seconds I think

I think there is more electronics in the 'i' version so it will talk to the later backs and SQ-Ai Prism combos.

I think they are great (y)

However if you are looking at 645 machines then have a mooch at the Mamiya 645 ones, they seem very resonable and hte lens are not as expensive as the Bronica ETR series (there is a reason but I for get). I was seriously tempted by a Maiya 645 Super but I bought a Pentax 67 instead :LOL:

The difference between the ETRS and the ETRSi is I think mirror lock-up and TTL off camera flash metering, so not a lot really unless you value mirror lock-up, its 645 so not a humongous mirror.
If you're gonna go 645, there's always Mamiya

Cheers John, knew i'd have missed something or other. TTL off camera flash metering doesn't bother me, tbh - only time I use flash is of the studio monobloc variety, and i've the seikonic 358 to deal with that ;). Mirror lock up would be nice though - i'll mostly be shooting either tripod mounted landscape stuff or studio still life, so keeping the camera as calm and stable as possible is a good thing.:thinking:

I'd like to stick with the Bronny to be honest, again, it's partly a sentimental thing - I'd been borrowing my Mates off and on for a good 15 years, so it almost felt like my own. Also, I shot my only wedding on one - well half of a wedding - it was my Mates Sisters wedding, and I helped out as second 'tog - and shot all the pictures that my Mate needed to be in the frame for! :LOL:

Well if you can afford the small extra cost I'd get the prism plus speed grip, and then it's just like a very large 35mm SLR and no reverse images. The PE lenses are supposed to be a bit superior to the older MC and E-II and is reflected in the price, whether you can see a difference is debatable, also the internet says the MC 150mm f4 is inferior to the MC F3.5 version?

Thing is Brian, if I want something that handles like a big SLR, I can use the EOS-3 with the PB-E2, and get all the modern niceties. For what I actually want to shoot on MF, using a WLF (or even sticking a cape over my head and the camera and examining the focusng screen with a loupe!) is not a problem - and in some cases may even be a benefit as it'll slow me down at the most critical part of the image making process. I'm also not too worried about the 150mm lens - I'll be working with the 75mm initially, and maybe going for something a little wider if I find I need it. No Need for portrait lenses - I don't shoot people - If I'd wanted to do that I'd have joined the Army.

There is a difference between the SQ-A and SQ-Ai

The 'i' version has a proper Bulb setting and it will go from 16s to 1/500

The 'non-i' version only goes from 2 seconds I think

I think there is more electronics in the 'i' version so it will talk to the later backs and SQ-Ai Prism combos.

I think they are great (y)

I think the SQ-Ai's are great as well - and if I'd a few bob more, I'd probably go for one over the ETRSi, but they are at a bit of a premium, and while I do like using square format occasionally, I just don't seem to "think in squares" as easily as a more conventional framing. So, I ended up cropping for final prints and wasting some of that lovely Velvia real-estate. I know i'd end up feeling guilty about doing that, and go buy a 120J back, which just adds to the expense.

As ever, helpful answers from everyone, and as ever, they've left me in an even worse state of confusion about what I really want. Would definitely like proper bulb settings and a mirror lock up, so it's looking like the "i" variants I guess, but now I'm away again thinking I could treat this as a way of getting myself to re-address my compositions and go back to trying square fomat again. I could drive myself :nuts: over this :bonk:

****Thing is Brian, if I want something that handles like a big SLR, I can use the EOS-3 with the PB-E2, and get all the modern niceties. For what I actually want to shoot on MF, using a WLF (or even sticking a cape over my head and the camera and examining the focusng screen with a loupe!) is not a problem - and in some cases may even be a benefit as it'll slow me down at the most critical part of the image making process. I'm also not too worried about the 150mm lens - I'll be working with the 75mm initially, and maybe going for something a little wider if I find I need it. No Need for portrait lenses - I don't shoot people - If I'd wanted to do that I'd have joined the Army.****

Well if I wanted something with a bright (wow) reverse image and slows me down, then I use my RB67...... ;)

Have you thought about the SQ B. All manual and cheaper than the SQ A.

Well - just to round things off, I took delivery of a nice tidy ETRSi yesterday morning, and gave it a run through with a couple of rolls of fillum in the afternooon. I've only souped one roll of Velvia so far but it's looking okay so far

Last edited:
So if you dont want the 6x6, why not go for the 6x7 instead of going down to a 6x4.5. Bronica do the gs-1

Whoops didnt realise you just bought at etrsi

Reminds me of a bloke I shot last week..........................

I am a Fire Service Phot. Sorry, sick sense of humour!

Back