Beginner Time lapse Dinner party.

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I am looking for advice in how to set up my gear for photographing through the evening at a dinner party; I recently tried using my camera on tripod with a timer remote set on infinity, I didn't want to use flash because I didn't want to be too intrusive and wanted natural/candid shots. I set it up in aperture priority mode on the widest possible and I think I set the ISO to auto and manual focus, the obvious problem was due to the slightly doubtful light, the shutter speed was too slow, hence blurred movement!
Any advice gratefully received, Thanks.

Last edited:
Surely if wide-open, auto-ISO, tripod and still blurred movement you need a much brighter lens (or crazy high-ISO sensored body ... A7S-style )
All other details are secondary.
(Am I reading the OP right?)

Nikon D5 @ max ISO should get you useable results - at a price. In fact, you could probably come down a bit on the ISO. While you're spending, an f/1.2 or faster lens would help.

I'd have to see the room to give proper advice, but your options are high ISO or some well placed off camera flash to replicate natural room lighting.

All of that said, random remote shooting is hardly likely to give you anything worthwhile unless you're setting up the room more like a film set than an actual dining room. Something like a 35mm 1.4 (or crop equivalent) is a nice tool to capture the environment.

The alterative is to take advantage of the movement (ghosting) to your advantage.
some cameras like the FujiX 30 can be controlld and the viewfinder image seen on your smart phone or tablet.
others could be set at a programmed interval and take pot luck.

Quality shots of any sort are inevitably down to luck, but over an evening, a few must work. Worth an experiment anyway, they may lead to something better another time.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies folks, I suppose I was clutching at straws, hoping there might be a "magic fix", but as Terrywoodenpic says on an evening such as this "a few must work" and in fact a few did.

My camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC G5 I was using the standard kit lens of 14 - 42mm I had it set at f/8 on ISO 800 at 14mm and manual focus.

Back