Time to fix up the old boys and shoot some film

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
All of the various film threads have given me a kick in the backside to dust of some of the old cameras and start using up the film stock I've had sitting in the freezer for a couple of years.

There must be around 20+ film cameras sitting in the spare room - half a dozen OM-1n, an OM2-n, a number of TLRs including a Rollei 2.8C and a Flex Vb, a couple of Oly 35RC, some old folders (Zeiss, Ensign) plus a MPP 5x4 and a Horseman LE 5x4. Although I got rid of most of the enlargers (think there's still two knocking about), I couldn't bring myself to part with the cameras.

Funnily enough my daughter is studying photography as part of her Uni course, and the youngsters are fascinated with film cameras and particularly covet the OM-2n for some reason.

So, batteries ordered for the OM-2n, a few diodes ordered to convert the cameras that take mercury batteries, and give everything a good clean and fettle. Going to use just the three cameras for the short term - the Rollei, the OM-2n and the Horseman. Have a scanner (Epson Perfection V850) on the way as there are a few thousand old negs to scan and my old Nikon scanner is not up to the job (still uses SCSI) so that's another reason to shoot a few rolls and sheets of film.

Looking forward to getting back into film again and hopefully will be able to post some results.

Here's the gang after a cleanup:

Rollei and Oly by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Horseman by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome back to the fold Lee, I think you'll soon remember how enjoyable shooting film is after a few years away from it, especially now negs can be scanned at home and then tweaked in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. Having just 12, 24 or 36 shots helps slow things down and encourages concentration too.

If you've been used to taking photos with a DSLR for a few years you could always have a bit of fun and start a 'chimp box', putting £1 in it each time you find yourself looking at the back of your OM2n after taking a photo, you'll probably soon have enough to buy 5 rolls of 35mm film! ;) Anyway, I hope you enjoy using your film cameras and don't forget to post some of the results in the F&C section. (y)

Got a couple of old tonewheel Hammonds sitting about but only one Leslie! Laurens Hammond was a mechanical genius whose first business venture was in clocks.
John Mayall's brother, Rod, is a fine Hammond player and be often seen playing with various local bands in the North West.

Last edited:
Lovely looking very clean old cameras. You can't beat the anticipation waiting to see how your images turn out and the extra effort making sure each shot counts.

Funnily enough my daughter is studying photography as part of her Uni course, and the youngsters are fascinated with film cameras and particularly covet the OM-2n for some reason.

With all those to choose from which camera are you considering for her Christmas present? [emoji6] Any potential new film convert can only be a good thing.

Sounds like you have a great collection and plenty of previous knowledge (great for when us less experienced folk are looking for help). Good luck with your return to film and hopefully everything will turn out as you'd like it to. I know how unpredictable film (and old cameras can be).

Last edited:
With all those to choose from which camera are you considering for her Christmas present? [emoji6] Any potential new film convert can only be a good thing.

Sounds like you have a great collection and plenty of previous knowledge (great for when us less experienced folk are looking for help). Good luck with your return to film and hopefully everything will turn out as you'd like it to. I know how unpredictable film (and old cameras can be).

She's already grabbed my old Sony A65, and I've got her a couple of nice lenses for Christmas. Think I'm going to also give her one of the OM1s as they're pretty bomb proof and a great carry around camera.

Still got a few developing tanks and cylinders left, but I'm going to have to go through a quick refresher course myself as it's been a good four or five years since I've touched any of it. Unfortunately I've converted the old darkroom so it's going to be a changing bag for loading the reels, something I always battled with, especially with medium format.

... Unfortunately I've converted the old darkroom so it's going to be a changing bag for loading the reels, something I always battled with, especially with medium format.

You could always buy a couple of Agfa Rondinax daylight tanks, or one of the new Lab-boxes once they complete their Kickstarter reward deliveries (it's a modular daylight loading tank that will take either 135 or 120 film).

... so it's going to be a changing bag for loading the reels, something I always battled with, especially with medium format.
The Calumet own-brand changing tent is worth considering. I have a fairly large bag which is fine for 35mm and okay for medium format, but was a pain for 5x4, so got the tent. I haven't used it for anything other than 35mm so far, but there's a good feeling of space inside rather than having to keep pushing the top layer of the bag up out of the way. I'm looking forward to trying it with the 5x4.

The Calumet own-brand changing tent is worth considering. I have a fairly large bag which is fine for 35mm and okay for medium format, but was a pain for 5x4, so got the tent. I haven't used it for anything other than 35mm so far, but there's a good feeling of space inside rather than having to keep pushing the top layer of the bag up out of the way. I'm looking forward to trying it with the 5x4.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Always find that my hands get a bit sweaty with a changing bag, and then I lose my rag with it.

Is it this one? https://www.wexphotovideo.com/calumet-film-changing-room-bag-1629684/

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll take a look. Always find that my hands get a bit sweaty with a changing bag, and then I lose my rag with it.

Is it this one? https://www.wexphotovideo.com/calumet-film-changing-room-bag-1629684/

Yes, that's it.

I don't really get sweaty with the bag (unless it's proper summer), but the fabric dropping down does bug me with 5x4 - it really gets in the way when trying to get the sheets in and out of the holders, and into the tank. Seems to make it more prone to missing a slot because the hands are trying to feel what's going on while trying to hold up the fabric at the same time.

I'm really glad I have a small box room I've been able to make light tight.

I just know I would hate changing bags.

I'm really glad I have a small box room I've been able to make light tight.

I just know I would hate changing bags.

I used to live in Southern Africa and it was horrendous trying to use a changing bag. Unfortunately my old, light tight darkroom is now a dressing room/dumping ground for my two teenage daughters.

Last edited:
Back