Time to make a choice

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Hi all I’m new here I will give you a quick background on my equipment,.
Many years ago I started off just cheap point and shoot I think it was 6mp Fuji I had that for some years before moving to a Panasonic which I had for a year or two so then I took the plunge and got a Nikon d5200 and again moved then to a d7100 which I loved, then I moved into astrophotography and got also a d5300 which was great of its size and flip out display.
It’s now I regret what I did because I caught the Astro bug and sold both cameras and bought a dedicated mono astronomy cooled camera for the telescope but unfortunately I had to stop that hobby as working full time I was not getting the time to take deep sky images as it takes a lot of time.
If you have made it this far then thanks things get simple now as of today a own a Sony rx10iii which I love however I’m at the point in my life where I want to progress so I’m looking for a full frame camera and really don’t know which one to go for as I now have to start over again ie body and glass.
I have used Nikon which I like, never shot a canon or Sony dslr now I want the full frame for low light and quality I want to shoot the likes of the Milky Way and other wide scape night shots as well as everyday photos..

so the cameras I have looked at so far are Nikon d750, Pentax k1, Sony a7ii ,canon 6dii
But I can’t decide on what to go for the Pentax k1 had Astro features which I like but the lens lineup seams small and expensive so at the moment my head is spinning lol!!
Sorry if I have bored the life out of you but this is my predicament thanks all

You'll probably be able to use any decent camera especially a FF one and a nice lens.

Other than that DSLR's are on the slow slide out the door and mirrorless is slowly taking over. Regardless of how long DSLR's hang on in there I think that mirrorless offers so many advantages it's the obvious way forward. All in my VHO.

If you have FF lenses for the Nikon you already own, stick with Nikon (D750 is a good choice IMO and can probably be had for a relatively low price these days) but if you're building a new system around FF, you can look at more options. See who offers fast wide lenses for the options; you'll probably need that (fast and wide) for the MW and similar.

At the moment it seems you are thinking about what camera when you’re actually buying in a system. The biggest choice is whether to stick with a DSLR or go mirrorless. Mirrorless should have longer longevity but will be more expensive than a DSLR system. I don’t know much about using DSLR lenses on a mirrorless camera. As far as I’ve been told there is no penalty for using them on canons mirrorless cameras. I’m not sure about Nikon. With Sony you’re pretty much stuck to native lenses but some do adapt canon lenses quite well.

Regarding cameras the Nikon D750 was one of my favourite cameras. At the time I had it it was fantastic, especially when you considered the price I paid for it compared to others on the market. I’ve since left Nikon to go mirrorless. At the time the intention wasn’t to move to mirrorless but to decrease the size and weight I was carrying. Once I looked at the options to decrease weight it made sense that I could potentially make the move to mirrorless as I was practically selling all my kit anyway.

The biggest thing to think about is your overall budget for camera and lenses. If you can give a ball park figure it may help people suggest options to you.

The D750 was a great camera (sold mine over a year ago) and would recommend that in a flash. Really hard to think of any negatives about it!

The D750 was a great camera (sold mine over a year ago) and would recommend that in a flash. Really hard to think of any negatives about it!

I'm sure it's a nice DSLR.

The question for the OP is does he want a nice DSLR or is there any advantage in going mirrorless. Maybe there is/isn't for astro but for other stuff maybe mirrorless has the edge with the extra bells and whistles, face / eye detect, accurate and consistent focus anywhere in the frame, no micro adjusting lenses, etc.

There's a very low shutter count D750 on here for a very decent price, once you've made a few more posts...

There's a very low shutter count D750 on here for a very decent price, once you've made a few more posts...
Oh wow typical I have to wait 60days on here before I can have access to the classifieds but also I’m in no rush as I want to buy into the right brand

Just FYI, every Pentax K mount len's ever made will fit the K1, as will M42 lenses with an adapter, so the range is huge.

I'm sure it's a nice DSLR.

The question for the OP is does he want a nice DSLR or is there any advantage in going mirrorless. Maybe there is/isn't for astro but for other stuff maybe mirrorless has the edge with the extra bells and whistles, face / eye detect, accurate and consistent focus anywhere in the frame, no micro adjusting lenses, etc.

Well he won't get FF mirrorless for the budget he is asking!

If he did look at mirrorless it would have to be DX

I have the Nikon D810 amonst others. I recently matched that with the tamron 24-70mm G2 latest version, best combo I have had yet

Although I'm a Nikon (and Canon) shooter.....

That's the best option imo if you're starting out. It's an incredibly capable camera for the money
Hi thanks my previous experience is Nikon also I keep looking at the z6 but from what I have read and watched the a7iii seams to still be the better

Hi thanks my previous experience is Nikon also I keep looking at the z6 but from what I have read and watched the a7iii seams to still be the better
Think in terms of systems. If you have Nikon FX lenses that could be adapted fully then the z6 will be a good move. However if you have to replace all lenses regardless then Sony is a much more mature system with a broader lens range as well as performance.

Back