Time to replace our iMac?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
We have a 2011 27" i5 iMac, 512mb graphics card. It's had various upgrades along the way, now has 32gb ram, a 1tb SSD as well as 3td HDD.

It's soldiered on pretty nicely generally but I'm now experiencing some real slow down with Lightroom in particular but also my wife does a little video editing with iMovie. At times it's almost unusable for both.

Not much has changed really that I can tell. There is plenty of space on both drives. LR catalogue sits on the SSD. Photos and video files sit on the HDD. That's how it's been for a couple of years and was mostly fine until recently. I did move to a 36mp camera from using 24mp generally in the past but that was almost 2 years ago now.

I notice the back of the imac gets very hot. You can hold your hand on it but I'd guess it's a good 60 deg C or more. I notice that the computer performance often starts off okay and gets slower the longer we use it. Or seemingly so.

Have tried a few of the usual methods of cleaning things up but it's not really made much difference. I also gave the rear air vent a good hoover. Nothing seems to have helped much.

So, am I to conclude that the constant updates and additional features of the new operating system and LR et al means that our poor little imac just can't cope anymore or are there some radical things I can try to eeek some more life out of it?

In fairness, 8 years is a good innings if we do need to replace it, so I'll not be too upset. Only question then is just how far we go with spec'ing out a new one. Not cheap are they?!

was wondering what you did as the usual things?

there could be hardware issues, but have you looked at Activity Monitor to see what The machine is up to when it slows down?

I’m still running a base spec 2010 21” iMac and it is usable, but slow. It doesn’t get hot etc though.
I am planning to upgrade when Apple release a new iMac, will be upping the RAM and speccing an SSD drive.

If it's running hot that suggests it's doing a lot of processing. Run up activity monitor and select CPU, then order by "%CPU" and set it to show the highest use programmes. If you don't recognise anything search online to find out what it is. If you do recognise a high CPU user (e.g. Photoshop) then look around to see how you can make it less of a resource hog.

Try downloading this cleanup utility, it's freeware and done a great job for me on several slow running macs.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Just run with default options and make sure you download the relevant version for your MAC OS.

It's basically the MAC equivalent of CCleaner for Windows.

Dougie.

Two other things you can try,

Find and download (and apply) the Combo updater for the System version you are on.

Apple Menu : About This Mac : check the version number

the google for "combo updater 10.xx.x"

The other thing is boot into the recovery partition (CMD + R while starting up) and use Disk Utility from the menu to try a repair on the the hard disk.

A silly suggestion but give it a go if the above suggestions don’t work.

It may well be clogged inside with 8 years of dust and overheating.

Aim a desk fan at the back of the mac where it’s hot and if it works as before then a fan/heatsink inside may be broken/clogged with dust.

Wow thanks. Loads of great responses here. I'll pick through some suggestions and give them a try. I'll either report back with a hallelujah or be asking for spec advice on a new one!

Whoever did your upgrades may have given it a quick vac, thermal paste could be failing on the cpu or perhaps fan controller isn’t ramping, so it’ll overheat. I don’t think software is the answer here unless you install lots of random crap instead of well known developer apps.

heat equals throttling, that’s why you will feel a difference in performance the hotter it gets.

Last edited:
Yes after 8 years of use the thermal paste will be drier than the Sahara.

Back