Time To Update.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently running older, paid for versions of Photoshop and Lightroom.

I am now considering updating to the newer versions, mainly to get the support for newer cameras but also the newer features they offer too.

I am running Windows 8.1, 64 bit, but when I checked the system requirements for the newer, subscription versions, it says it needs Windows 10. I have all other bases covered.

I really don't want to be changing operating systems as well, with the extra cost and faff involved.

I guess that's me out then? :coat:

I fear that you will find almost all(?) more current editing software programs have left earlier versions of Windows behind and W10 is required.

Edit ~ with some limitation Affinity Photo will run under Win 8.1 so there may be others too that will do so???

Last edited:
I’m nearly in the same place with my Mac. It’s currently running the last Mac OS that compatible with my Mac and lightroom classic. I fully expect lightroom to soon drop Mojave OS. To be fair my Mac is 9 years old so it’s had a good run. Windows 8 is a similar age from its release date. 9 years is a long time in computer terms. I’m waiting to what happens with the new apple chips before I make a decision as I’m expecting a faster chip to be released this year or next.

Going by this you’d be able to get lightroom 7.0 on windows 8 but no newer lightroom versions.

I still have my 2011 iMac but LR is stuck at 6.14.
Bought a new M1 iMac and asked adobe if they could tempt me back to the folds accepted 2 months for free so works out at £8.33 a month for the first year for latest Lightroom Classic and Photoshop plus the other stuff.im happy with that.
PS. The Adobe cloud now has 3 different installers and I had to use the M1 installer to avoid any issues.

You should still manage a free W10 update, and it is better than w8.

I'm in a somewhat similar position, but when I do my next update I'll leave Adobe behind.

I would create an image of your current system and upgrade to Win10 which as above should be free. See how you get on incase you have other apps that are not compatible with Win10.

My issue isn't W10, but rather Lightroom 6 not supporting recent cameras. However I'm due a PC upgrade soonish, and when that happens I'll probably abandon Adobe completely.

For one of the Camera Clubs Laptops which was stuck at W7, we installed LR/PS subscription and all was well until about October last year when it became necessary to run W10 for future updates. I updated it to W10 recently (very easy and free) and then Adobe updated to the latest versions.

Dave

I am now considering updating to the newer versions, mainly to get the support for newer cameras but also the newer features they offer too.

I am running Windows 8.1, 64 bit, but when I checked the system requirements for the newer, subscription versions, it says it needs Windows 10. I have all other bases covered.

I really don't want to be changing operating systems as well, with the extra cost and faff involved.

They do need W10, and a recent version too. I was running Lightroom on my work laptop, which was stuck on an old W10 version for a bit and the Creative Cloud installer wouldn't let me update Lightroom.

The subscription does bring a lot of benefits. As well as LR and PS you get Adobe Portfolio to build a simple website, and the cloud syncing aspect of it is wonderful. Having my entire LR library available on my phone, iPad and PC is amazing. I can add and edit photos from anywhere and they show up on every device I own. I've just upgraded my subscription to the full £20 a month job with 1Tb cloud storage so I'm fully invested in it. You can get by very well with the standard 20Gb version though if you're not too bothered about working from a phone or tablet.

As others have said you can get W10 for free without too much bother so it should be a simple upgrade, and it is miles better than W8

mainly to get the support for newer cameras
Only you know what you need in this regard.
but also the newer features they offer too
How badly do you need those features ... really?
It can be free, and the faff is only a one-off. To me it's generally a good plan to keep up with OS versions, if not least that if connected to the internet there can be eventual security issues involved. The latest versions of particular apps could be much less important.

My issue isn't W10, but rather Lightroom 6 not supporting recent cameras. However I'm due a PC upgrade soonish, and when that happens I'll probably abandon Adobe completely.

FWIW I abandoned Abode LR and PS recently, for different reason from you. I moved to c1Pro which Im finding more than meets my needs and is at least as powerful as Adobe products

You can still upgrade to Windows 10 F.O.C. (Provided you are using a legitimately licensed version of Windows at present.)
Download the iso image to a USB stick, change the boot order of your system and away you go.
When I did it I chose to make a clean install of Windows (another option is to keep your files), since it was a good opportunity to clear out all the trials, minor programs and garbage that you tend to accumulate and never use.
I was previously using Win7 and the UI is so similar I hardly notice the difference.
Regarding the replacement of Adobe, I find On1 Photo RAW makes a great replacement for Lightroom, and Affinity Photo replaces Photoshop, although with its layers and masks, On1 does most things I would have previously needed Photoshop for.
I gave up using Lightroom about four years ago and I genuinely prefer the results from On1.

Last edited:
I too have moved to Capture One Pro 21 and happy with it but is a learning curve.

Currently, as I get deeper into Photolab 4, it feels ever more credible as a LR alternative for raw processing & export.

I'm also exploring its browser function as a replacement for Adobe Bridge - it seems to have a similar batch renaming facilty. I don't actually need cataloguing - as of old, my folder structure does the job well enough.

As pixel editor, having come in with PS4 (Big Electric Cat !) in the late 90's, I've come to a halt at CS5 with a 'perpetual' license that it now seems might be effectively time-limited. In the day, PS was it for photography, and what I used to take my film scans forward (adjustment layers, dust spotting, purposing for output ...).

Now, digital cameras & raw processors have assumed many of the base functions, and in many cases a pixel editor is needed less. If PS CS5 becomes somehow untenable, I'll want a replacement. But till then, there's no rush. In the meantime, I've glanced at Affinity Photo, and I wish Serif well, but most of its personas are of no use to me ....

(I do have a copy of PS CS2 tucked away still - it's only 32-bit, of course - but Win10 has been pretty good in my experience with legacy apps, so I wonder ...). Ah, maybe not.

Last edited:
I found this- as a replacement for PS - which is getting more expensive every year

£65 for software ( and on a CD ROM) plus printed manual £50 in real money :) Tried it free for a week and decided to buy this moring to obtain all the features, so far it looks great and performs very well for a one off purchase and on CD to boot - No more Photoshop for me thank you :)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, as I get deeper into Photolab 4, it feels ever more credible as a LR alternative for raw processing & export.

I'm also exploring its browser function as a replacement for Adobe Bridge - it seems to have a similar batch renaming facilty. I don't actually need cataloguing - as of old, my folder structure does the job well enough.

As pixel editor, having come in with PS4 (Big Electric Cat !) in the late 90's, I've come to a halt at CS5 with a 'perpetual' license that it now seems might be effectively time-limited. In the day, PS was it for photography, and what I used to take my film scans forward (adjustment layers, dust spotting, purposing for output ...).

Now, digital cameras & raw processors have assumed many of the base functions, and in many cases a pixel editor is needed less. If PS CS5 becomes somehow untenable, I'll want a replacement. But till then, there's no rush. In the meantime, I've glanced at Affinity Photo, and I wish Serif well, but most of its personas are of no use to me ....

(I do have a copy of PS CS2 tucked away still - it's only 32-bit, of course - but Win10 has been pretty good in my experience with legacy apps, so I wonder ...). Ah, maybe not.
To reinstall CS2 you'd need the special activation-free installers, which for now can be found here:

I don't know if they'll work. A recent attempt to install PS CS2 on W10 appeared to be successful, but the program then crashed shortly after starting. There might be a workaround for this, of course, but I haven't explored it. An older version, PS7, still works, provided you have a disk with <1TB free for the swapfile and saving files. CS3 is fine, but the activation-free installers aren't widely available. I suspect they'll kill off the activation servers for CS5 within the next 2 years, and not provide an activation-free version (CS4 has set that precedent). Then it will only work until your system dies or changes sufficiently for CS5 to think it needs activating, or a W10 update kills it.

The Affinity Persona thing is a bit odd at first - I suppose it's to avoid having superfluous tools available that aren't relevant to a particular operation. I spend most of my time in the Photo Persona anyway. Affinity is only £23.99 at the moment, but back to full price at the end of the month.

To reinstall CS2 you'd need the special activation-free installers
Yes, I have them archived. And CS2 would do all I needed it to. But I'm dubious about it working properly ... so it might indeed be Affinity in the end. Does it fill your system with unwanted fonts & other guff when installed?

Last edited:
The fact is, whatever suits you doesn't necessarily suit me - that's the whole point of free trials.
I remember auditioning a number of programs before settling on On1.
There are aspects of On1 that I dislike, but I've learned to live with them, in the same way that I learned to live with Lightroom.
I still download trial programs, but at the end of the day, none of them do anything that I cannot do now, so I've resisted the urge to change.
I think it's more important to pick a program that does what you want and learn it thoroughly, than to keep chopping and changing programs.
For me, avoiding the monthly rental fee and the elimination of the "catalog" are significant factors in the elimination of Lightroom.

Yes, I have them archived. And CS2 would do all I needed it to. But I'm dubious about it working properly ... so it might indeed be Affinity in the end. Does it fill your system with unwanted fonts & other guff when installed?
I don't think it installs any fonts. The Affinity applications in general seem very well behaved. Incidentally, if I could change one thing about them it would be the way the interface scales with Windows settings. I tend to use 150% scaling, which means the Affinity interface elements also become that much larger. I suppose this is the way modern apps are supposed to work, but unlike some other programs it can't be overridden without changing system scaling.

If you convert your RAW images to DNG files using the Adobe converter, it is then possible to edit even the newest camera RAW images using Lightroom 6.14.

Last edited:
If you convert your RAW images to DNG files using the Adobe converter, it is then possible to edit even the newest camera RAW images using Lightroom 6.14.
DNG files do not feature in my workflow at the moment, and I am unwilling to introduce yet another step in my processing chain.
Particularly as I consider DNG to be an unnecessary additional step.

Thanks for the replies and some very interesting food for thought.

I have decided to stay as is for now, we have a few things going on on the homefront that need my headspace and adding to it IT wise at the moment isn't an option.

I do use the DNG converter, it's rather excellent to be fair and allows me to work on 5div files with no problems. It is another step in my workflow that I wouldn't mind being rid of though.

My plans are on pause for now but it's only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Same boat with a Mac ,sooner or later it’s going to need updating . Holding out for the next generation of i.macs with there own chipset..
the other day while processing a shot I heard the fan kick in first time ever

Same here, I've got the M1 Air, it is amazing considering it has no fan. I miss the 27" retina screen though - so will be very interested when they turn up (which will probably be next spring)
I've got the M1 24" coming from a 27 at first it seemed quite a difference. getting used to it now but still put my main photos also on the 27 downstairs, just the machine is dog slow

this is a link to the LR6.14 installer for apple and Windows,just incase you cant find it as Adobe not supporting it now

Back