Time to upgrade from EOS 20D?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I purchased a Canon EOS 20D arouar 14 years ago.

It has certainly been well used, and very well looked after.

After being in the cupboard for around 5 years, I've been using it over the last few months.

It has a Sigma 24-70mm lens, which is 'stuck' and doesntd focus anymore.

The camera itself seems like it works with the other lenses, but many images seem 'soft' (but maybe they are compared to the HD resolution type images I'm used to seeing these days).

I'm weighing up whether I should upgrade my camera, or whether it is my shooting skills that are lacking.

They're not worth much money to sell on, so I don't really see that as an option but for the cost of having it serviced, well, I'm sure i could get a better second hand camera!

Any advice is welcome.

Get a newer body definitely.

Today's sensors will blow you away with their ability to record so much more information than the old 20D.

It's getting a bit long in the tooth, being an 8MP camera.
The sweet spot nowadays is from 16MP upwards. As Terry says, you'll be blown away with modern sensors.

Cameras have moved on so much since 2004.

If you can live with a plastic camera than even the Canon 1300d at £300 new with full UK warranty is worth looking into.

I used a 20D for over 7 years and it should certainly be capable of sharp pictures.

Modern cameras will give you a lot better higher ISO performance and better dynamic range and you'll be amazed at how much you can lift the shadows with a modern camera without seeing the noise the 20D will display.

A newer camera should switch on quicker too, images will appear on the rear screen sooner, buffer size will have increased and file sizes will have got bigger, will your PC cope with larger files.
You may find any processing software you have (if 14 yrs old) may need to be upgraded too.

Matt

Thanks all!

I think I'll look at selling my 20D with 18-55mm lens. I I have a 70-300mm Canon lens which I'll keep. And my sigma 24-70 unforunfortun has failed on me, so I think that will be getting recycled!

Thanks for the advice. The pictures are fine from my Canon, just not crystal clear. And they are a little bit 'noisy'.

I use a 2009 27inch iMac to edit my GoPro footage, and have just started looking at my photos on this computer and they certainly don't look as high quality as I remember.

Now the hard part, deciding on a budget and what i want out of the camera.

An old Sigma may not work with a modern Canon anyway, they were reverse engineered to work with then current cameras as Canon dont/wont release technical details of how their cameras/lenses interface so you may not have lost too much there anyway. Just bear in mind if you are buying a secondhand Sigma now to check it first on whatever camera you buy.
I use Canon but maybe also look at another manufacturer to see if they offer what you want/need and trade the 70/300? Whilst Canon are good in some respects they have perhaps been overtaken in other areas which may suit you more (or less :) )

Back