Timelapse

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Looking for a in depth tutorial for doing timelapses. What do i all need? best settings etc.

I am looking to practice with some sunset/sunrises this weekend

Did have a quick search but didnt find much

Cheers

Settings vary so much by subject and the look you are after.

You probably want to eliminate jumps on your completed sequence so the interval between shots is dependent on the speed of what you are shooting - fast moving subject keep your interval low, slow moving subject you can open it up a bit.

Shutter speed I tend not to shoot faster than 1/100, this helps with smoother transitions between shots.

Once you are set up for your shot partially disconnect your lens from the body - this eliminates aperture flicker between shots.

Sunrise/sunsets are tricky due to the range in exposure between start and end.

Take a look at Magic Lantern for your 550D, it has a built in intervalometer and a bulb ramper that helps adjust exposure over the length of your sunrise/sunset.

As usual, clean lenses etc, charge batteries, clear and format cards

Once you are set up for your shot partially disconnect your lens from the body - this eliminates aperture flicker between shots.

Wondered if you might clarify this a little. I'd have thought that setting fully (M)anual shutter and aperture would be sufficient to prevent aperture flicker. Is this the same but by a different route, or is there a problem with aperture behaviour consistency in manual?

Wondered if you might clarify this a little. I'd have thought that setting fully (M)anual shutter and aperture would be sufficient to prevent aperture flicker. Is this the same but by a different route, or is there a problem with aperture behaviour consistency in manual?

I'm lead to believe that the aperture will 'open and close' or 'close and open' to the set aperture for each shot, it is the slight inconsistency in each end position that causes the flicker.

Now whether this is only in non (M)anual modes I'm not so sure now, it is just something I have always done after reading it. I'll have to go and check up on it again :)

I'll have to go and check up on it again :)

(y) cheers!

I've done very little timelapse with my DSLR, but it's something I enjoy watching on Youtube very much and quite fancy spending some time doing. Played around a bit with it on my cheapo JVC camcorder though.

[YOUTUBE]GqIoEX3VnnM[/YOUTUBE]

The lens trick won't work on a Nikon as it's mechanical rather than electronic control.

with OP's 550D, you could look into Magic Lantern.

I've shot a few timelapses using Magic Lantern's FPS override feature, enabling to record videos in 1 FPS. Timelapse straight out of the camera :D

i really am looking for a step by step guide to timelapse.

What do i all need?
what is best to practice with? clouds? sunsets? indoors?
what mode do i use?

thanks

Need:
tripod and a intervalometer (or use the one in Magic Lantern)

Practice:
Clouds
(my cloud practice http://youtu.be/Pp9_xcdWgVg )

Mode:
Manual, set correct exposure and just fire away. shutter speed should be 50% of interval for smoothest looking video.

(y) cheers!

I've done very little timelapse with my DSLR, but it's something I enjoy watching on Youtube very much and quite fancy spending some time doing. Played around a bit with it on my cheapo JVC camcorder though.

I'm the same, I've done very little but I keep giving it a go when I get the time. I'm slowly building up short clips to edit together.

Vimeo is a great resource for some amazing Timelapse too.

The lens trick won't work on a Nikon as it's mechanical rather than electronic control.

with OP's 550D, you could look into Magic Lantern.

I've shot a few timelapses using Magic Lantern's FPS override feature, enabling to record videos in 1 FPS. Timelapse straight out of the camera :D

I didn't know that there was a difference like that between Nikon and Canon systems.

Would rotating a Nikon lens still not move the control arm away from the actuator or whatever? Or does the control arm have to retract as the lens is removed etc?

Nikon lenses default to closed with a spring like behaviour. the aperture is driven by a leaver on the camera body. So rotating the lens slightly will mess up the mechanical aperture control.

Hi all,

Looking for a in depth tutorial for doing timelapses. What do i all need? best settings etc.

I am looking to practice with some sunset/sunrises this weekend

Did have a quick search but didnt find much

Cheers

Try YouTube- can find most things on there (y)

Les :D

To start with it might be easier for you to do it at night, then you can have a 30sec exposure and let it run in continuous mode. Just do a few test shots for good exposure and then let your camera do the work. You should end up with something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDH6eDQC7Do

Check out "http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1871"

pretty much everything you need to know here.

It's fairly straightforward, i've used my DSLR, but personally I prefer to use my GoPro HD.

Once you've got all the images, just chuck tme into Quicktime and out pops a film!

If you want to do some panning, use Premiere or something, as the siz eof the pictrures is far bigger than the res of the video you have some oppertunity to move around the frame.

Back