Daily Timmy's 365 - Well that's that then.

Brilliant catchup, lovely set of shots. The days that really stand out to me are...
191, 195, 198, 201, 202, 205, 209, 210, 211, 214, 216, 218, 220, 222 and 223.

A few things to note. I seem to have settled on a square crop wherever it is appropriate. I'm not sure how I ended up with this, but I guess in the age of instagram, it makes sense.

I've also gone macro mad, but I think this is a consequence of the longer days more than anything. Previously, by the time I got home from work it would be dark and I would often run around the house looking for an object to photograph for my 365. Now, because it's light I can do the same but run around the garden instead.

I'm also discovering lots of new species I hadn't seen (or noticed rather) before and it fulfills my desire to be a wildlife photographer without having to put in the long hours and travel for miles!

All my macro stuff is done with a 50mm (1.4) on a full set of extension tubes. I have however made a not insignificant investment in a new dedicated macro lens, and I am anxiously waiting for it's arrival!

Will you be selling the extension tubes? I could be interested....

Superb set of photos matey - very different to Sarah and Jakes that I've looked at over the last couple of days.. but all superb none the less (y)

Loved the retro collection picture with the Fighting Fantasy books - I've still got my set 1-26.. been meaning to re-read/play them again :LOL:

Looking forward to following the rest of your 365 challenge :)

Oh dear. I really have got far behind on my posting this time. If it's any consolation, I have been spending numerous hours out and about, getting loads of photos and subsequently processing them. Unfortunately that hasn't left me any time for the forum, but now the days are getting shorter, I'll be spending more time indoors and be able to spend more time with you lovely people!

Will you be selling the extension tubes? I could be interested....
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Kenny. The extension tubes are only the £8 chinese made ones I saw on Amazon. There is no electronic connection between them, and they are not really worth selling. I would send them to you but I'm hoping to experiment with them on my new macro lens just to see what kind of magnification I can manage.

Superb set of photos matey - very different to Sarah and Jakes that I've looked at over the last couple of days.. but all superb none the less (y)

Loved the retro collection picture with the Fighting Fantasy books - I've still got my set 1-26.. been meaning to re-read/play them again :LOL:

Looking forward to following the rest of your 365 challenge :)
Thanks Marcus, and welcome to the crazy corner!

OK, here's the start of the catchup, I hope you like bugs!

224/365/2013 - Not The Beetles by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

225/365/2013 - My first jumper.. by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

226/365/2013 - Coke Zero by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

227/365/2013 - The Horror Returns by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

It may be worth noting, that was the last of my macro shots with the extension tubes and the 50mm. After this point I think all my macros are with my new Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (f2.8) - my goodness, what a learning curve that was. I thought I was developing my macro skills well, but swapping to that lens was like starting from scratch!!

228/365/2013 - The Beast to catch a beast by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

229/365/2013 - Light Metering by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

More soon, and I'll be catching up with everybody's threads over the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Excellent work Tim - loving those latest macro images you've posted (y)

Clever capture of the Coke Zero as well - what was it that you were reflecting onto?

Excellent work Tim - loving those latest macro images you've posted (y)

Clever capture of the Coke Zero as well - what was it that you were reflecting onto?

Thanks, it was a drop of water from the end of a straw with the coke bottle (inverted behind it). Unfortunately the tight crop due to high magnification means it requires some explanation ;)

The wee furry spider is as cute as a spider can be :)
Thanks Sarah, I think jumping spiders are just about the cutest of all the arthropods.

I've picked up a macro lens now, so hurry up spring :) lol
Glad to hear it :) What did you go for? Yeah unfortunately I'm finding less and less stuff around the garden these days :(

Ok, few more before bed...

230/365/2013 - Dung fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

231/365/2013 - Filler Moon by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

232/365/2013 - Flat-Footed Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

233/365/2013 - Business Portrait by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

234/365/2013 - Little Bug by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Superb shots Tim - I've been sneaking a peak at your macro stuff on FlickR the last few days :LOL:

That one of the American Cockroach really creeps me out.. lol

OMG you've still got loads more to post on here to catch up - good job I follow you on Flickr too :D

Superb shots Tim - I've been sneaking a peak at your macro stuff on FlickR the last few days :LOL:

That one of the American Cockroach really creeps me out.. lol
Thanks, yeah they creep me out a bit too!

Good work Tim, nice catch up!
Thankyou!

Super catch up mate.
I went for a tamron 90mm, seems to do the job OK for under £200.
Ah good stuff. Not familiar with it myself but heard it can do great things. How are you enjoying the macro world? I think I need to get a longer length macro lens at some point. No chance of getting insects in flight with my current setup. And did I call you Kenny before? Sorry Jeff, I'm cracking up...

OMG you've still got loads more to post on here to catch up - good job I follow you on Flickr too :D
Tell me about it! Ok, here's another dump...

241/365/2013 - Bolt by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

242/365/2013 - Spittin' Rainbows by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

243/365/2013 - Sea Insects by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

244/365/2013 - Palms by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

245/365/2013 - Skills by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Certainly not tired of your bugs Tim, they are just fabulous. However, I rather like the toadstools and the falling leaf is just sublime (y)

Nope never get tired of seeing these matey - they're fantastic (y)
Thankyou!
Spittin' Rainbows is epic - you know I'd be so tempted to clone out all the stuff bottom right just to make the image a bit cleaner....then it would be superb!
I think you are right Jeff, I underestimated this one a bit, it's one of my most popular on Flickr Maybe I'll revisit it. I have an alternate version with her mouth wide open I like to call "Vomiting Rainbows", but I think I might save that for an end of project blooper reel ;)
Certainly not tired of your bugs Tim, they are just fabulous. However, I rather like the toadstools and the falling leaf is just sublime (y)
Yeah I still like to throw in something different every now and then. I'm a bit concerned my 365 is becoming a bit repetitive with all this macro but, to be honest, I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning loads. I'm pushing myself further all the time so that can only be a good thing.

With that in mind, I better get on with the onslaught. Still loads to post here!

281/365/2013 - Ensign Fly
by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

282/365/2013 - Common Wasp

283/365/2013 - Flesh fly

284/365/2013 - Muscid fly

285/365/2013 - Beheaded

286/365/2013 - Autumnal Snail

Last edited:
Yeah I still like to throw in something different every now and then. I'm a bit concerned my 365 is becoming a bit repetitive with all this macro but, to be honest, I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning loads. I'm pushing myself further all the time so that can only be a good thing.

TBH Tim for me it's really good to see how much you've improved - personally I will be thrilled to have acheived a 365, however I really wanted to use it to learn more about lighting. But financial constraints and lack of enthusiasm conspired against me - so in that respect it's been a bit of a failure. However, I will be so very pleased with myself for completing it at lasdt that should outweigh the disappointment ;)

TBH Tim for me it's really good to see how much you've improved - personally I will be thrilled to have acheived a 365, however I really wanted to use it to learn more about lighting. But financial constraints and lack of enthusiasm conspired against me - so in that respect it's been a bit of a failure. However, I will be so very pleased with myself for completing it at lasdt that should outweigh the disappointment ;)
Well before I started my 365 I was hardly shooting anything. At least I'm getting use out of my expensive camera... that's one way to look at it ;)

A great catch up. Some excellent bug shots.
Cheers m'dear!

308/365/2013 - Spring cleaning

309/365/2013 - Bonfire night

310/365/2013 - 306/365/2013 - Dicyrtomina ornata

311/365/2013 - 306/365/2013 - Dicyrtomina ornata

tim..you bug work..ahem...macro work is brilliant.. they have so much expression to them.. epic.... some good techniques employed in your other shots. the boy on the bike is a good example. love that!!

Back