Tiniest fly on a blade of grass!

Edit My Images
Yes
Well on my hands and knees today and seen this lil thing, about 3mm long and 1mm wide.

Anyone know what it is?

Canon 60mm macro with full kenko tubes at 2.5:1 + small framing crop.
1/200
ISO200
F.11
Spot Metering

test-6.jpg

Final2-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's that small I can't see it!

Don't know what type of fly it is but its nice and sharp and the lighting is spot on .

(y)

Nice pic. Bugs creep me out though.

Not my thing so can't tell you what it is either. As they say.... I'll get my coat.

It is a species of Grass Fly (Lonchoptera sp), nice tiny fly that is pretty bold when you push a lens in its face, Nicely photographed Robbo ;)

Thanks for the comments :)

I was quite happy for once with how they turned out! Lol

always room for improvement though

Well done Robbo! Looks like macro season has started:) BTW looks like you've got a dust bunny, macro seems to be a bugger for that. Got to do my first wet clean myself tomorrow:shake:

ahhh just spotted that!

is that likely to be on my lens or sensor?

Love the slightly loser crop of #2, great colours and contrast. It'll be sensor dust, high mag macros always show up dust that you'll never normally see... Using a normal lens even at f22 there are no visible dust specks on my sensor BUT on my macro shots there's loads of the buggers! From what I can gather it's a fact of life and nowt to worry about, just get familiar with the spot healing brush...

thanks for the last few comments :)

will have a look at my sensor when I get home as away for the weekend near York and no cleaning with me :-(

very very nice (y)

Cheers RKC

Ash, you can have if after tonight as I plan to win the lotto and canon are designing me the sharpest macro ever

Well done Robbo! Looks like macro season has started:) BTW looks like you've got a dust bunny, macro seems to be a bugger for that. Got to do my first wet clean myself tomorrow:shake:

I can't see how a macro shot would show up dust on the sensor (if it IS there) rather than any other shot.

I also get this effect when using kenko extension tubes with my 100mm Macro but I think that at such ulta close distances it may actually be dust on a filter showing up rather than dust on the sensor.

I certainly don't see any dust bunnies on any other shots - even clear area of sky show none.

What ever it was it's gone, checked filter was nothing here, unless the self clean sorted it.

Could have only been the lens, will never know now! Lol

Good shots of these tiny flys. I have photographed these before and no how difficult they are to get any detail to show up so well done.

As for dust the MPe-65 is the worst of the lot, i have probably close to 200 dust bunnies to clone out on every shot. Last time i tried to clean a sensor i put a big scratch on the low pass filter so just put up wth the cloning now.

I can't see how a macro shot would show up dust on the sensor (if it IS there) rather than any other shot.

I also get this effect when using kenko extension tubes with my 100mm Macro but I think that at such ulta close distances it may actually be dust on a filter showing up rather than dust on the sensor.

I certainly don't see any dust bunnies on any other shots - even clear area of sky show none.

The dust bunnies are always there but they show up more the smaller the aperture used to take a shot, which is why they appear more with macro as you tend to use a smaller aperture for macro shots.

amazing - I even think you've caught it smiling! :)

The dust bunnies are always there but they show up more the smaller the aperture used to take a shot, which is why they appear more with macro as you tend to use a smaller aperture for macro shots.

Afraid that doesn't apply.

I use small apertures for lots of shots where the bunnies simply aren't there - and large apertures on some Macro shots where the bunnies are.

Afraid that doesn't apply.

I use small apertures for lots of shots where the bunnies simply aren't there - and large apertures on some Macro shots where the bunnies are.

You must have a special camera then - :)

Dust particles can settle on the image sensor, and will show up on the images as dark spots when the image is taken with a small aperture (high F number). When the aperture is open, the dust is usually not a problem, since the distance between the sensor's surface and the dust is large enough to get the dust out of the focal plane. When the aperture is smaller (usually smaller than F16) the rays of light are parallel to each other, creating shadows to the dust particles. These shadows will show up as clearly on the images. At F22 or smaller apertures, the spots become really visible.

As for dust on a front element showing see this

Back