Tintern Abbey (Updated)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Ooooh I'm on a roll here....

Another landscape from my trip to the Forest of Dean. This is Tintern Abbey in Monmouthshire, taken on the way home. We didn't realise we had to drive right past it, so we stopped and took a few photos.

I've still not got this Landscape thing cracked yet, but I'll get there......

tintern.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Last edited:
Cheers Chewy. I've actually got a better "view", where I backed up and moved to the left. The wall in the foreground leads all the way into the Abbey, but I was using some Cokin ND grads and they've got a magenta tint on them and the sky looks awful......

IMG_4091.jpg

Obviously straight out of the camera, but you see what I mean about the tint ???

Steve

Cheers Chewy. I've actually got a better "view", where I backed up and moved to the left. The wall in the foreground leads all the way into the Abbey, but I was using some Cokin ND grads and they've got a magenta tint on them and the sky looks awful......

Obviously straight out of the camera, but you see what I mean about the tint ???

Steve

Steve,

I've been out shooting sky this evening and using the ND grads to see if the tint can be eliminated by careful use of the white balance setting...not had chance to go through the results yet but I'll let you know if there's a better setting to use.....auto can't hack it, that's for sure.

I like the composition though.

Bob

Right.....

Have cropped that 2nd shot and messed around in CS3 and I think I've got it to a "passable" level....

What say you...

tintern_2_800.jpg

I really want to crack this landscape & building stuff, so any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Steve

Edit: Oh damn, I think it's a bit on the pi**.......:bang:

Last edited:
For me the 2nd shop cropped works best - I would suggest a tad tighter crop on the RH to remove the distracting path and clone out the 2 buildings by the LH edge. you have the basis of a good composition there and have you nicely removed the Cokin magenta.

However the tones for the stone work in the 1st image have more warmth and look better and you might look for a bit more PP work in this area.

Thanks for the feedback. To crop and lose the path, I'd have to lose most of the wall, and as that's what leads you into the frame I erred on the side of artistic impression.....

Steve

I think you must have a defective filter, I've used cokin ND grads and never experienced anything like that kind of cast.

Anyway, your seconf shot is a far stronger composition than the first, mainly because you have intelligently used the FG wall to lead in, providing a needed depth and perspective.

In the first image, the wall to the left is too strong, it's not letting you into the scene.

Right.....

Have cropped that 2nd shot and messed around in CS3 and I think I've got it to a "passable" level....

What say you...

tintern_2_800.jpg

I really want to crack this landscape & building stuff, so any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Steve

Edit: Oh damn, I think it's a bit on the pi**.......:bang:

Thats a much better framing now, big difference. Can you imagine how this picture would look if it was taken early or late in the day?

That's an appalling colour cast with your "grey" grad. Try a better brand.

Colour casts do exist and can appear with even the best makes. I had two Lee ND grads which gave me strange colour casts, so I gave up with even Lee, got a couple of Singh-Ray "Galen Rowell" ND grads from the US. Very expensive but very neutral.:)

Oh Tintern Abbey.... to drive by it you have to drive right by my house as I live just up the road ;). I don't notice it these days as familarity breeds contempt and all that. I forget how cool it is :)

Back