tiny killers in the making

Name
lisa
Edit My Images
Yes
FullSizeRender(43).jpg

A lioness teaching her cubs to kill.she actually left the buffallo calf alive for the cubs to practice the throat bite.one of the cubs was very interested in the kill game.the other one was rather skidish and kept its distance from the calf

You do get some very interesting wild life shots Lisa (y)

Obviously I've never been there so I don't know the true colour of the soil, but you do seem to get a very strong magenta cast to all your images,
even the Lioness teeth have a magenta cast.

Is this more "natural"?
If you don't like it say so and I'll nuke it.

edit1.jpg

Hi cobra.yes this is actually the colour of our soil
thats why they call the elephants the red elephants of tsavo east.and it ist just the animals when you leave from tsavo your res too☺

Obviously I've never been there so I don't know the true colour of the soil, but you do seem to get a very strong magenta cast to all your images,
even the Lioness teeth have a magenta cast.

Is this more "natural"?
If you don't like it say so and I'll nuke it.

View attachment 105950
Screenshot_2017-07-12-08-38-56.png
this is an older image i took with my phone its completely unedited.see the colour of the soil its very red.in many parts of kenya we have this red soil.sometimes you can even see orange zebras

Thanks for the compliment by the way:)
And thank you for providing the image.its always good to correct each other and try and help each other.you should try and visit our country theres loads to see and photograph(most important;)).booking safaris with tour operators online is way too expensive:eek:.you can always book them when you come here for less than half the price.

Lisa,I#m a learner in blighty I know nowt of africa. Chris has picked up on something,I have seen but do not really have the ability to evaluate. That said each image I have viewed it is there. Now Chis has pointed it out I know what it is....a magenta cast. Lisa I have read many of your posts and focused on this one because of Chris(Cobras help). Lisa do you understand what he's just told you? The red soils are red should be red you know this,the red ele's 've know about from childhood they are famous even to a little kid in England I've know of them for eons,there are white ones too right...... somewhere else? But the whole image should not be red teeth not red etc

I think something you are doing in postprocessing is making the whole image red,this is what Cobra I believe(Chris tell me if I'm wrong I think we can help Lisa here,but the replies don't tell me Lisa got this) is trying to get over.

Lisa it may be WB(that's white balance mate,not to be patronising just in case you don't know) or something other. I simply am no expert,but me eyes work:D Chris could you labour this for Lisa,steer her a bit more for me please .

Lisa,I feel you have real potential and obviously have some subjects that folks here would adore trying to make images of,but need a few pointers to really move you forwards . As another beginner I don't feel I can be that guy,by the same token I know how much constructive crit can help you first hand,as this is my lot

Hmm sort of difficult this one asking for help for another from another:rolleyes:
but me 'eart's in the right place so I'll post and see what gives:)

Lisa, Cobra/Chris take care both

stu

Now Chis has pointed it out I know what it is....a magenta cast. Lisa I have read many of your posts and focused on this one because of Chris(Cobras help).
Cheers Mate :)
TBH I get the impression that Lisa is happy with her results, and that's cool.

Cheers Mate :)
TBH I get the impression that Lisa is happy with her results, and that's cool.

Yes absolutely bro,everything should be Lisa's choice:cool: But if she didn't get you and there was a missed chance to help I'd be me and be gutted.:(

Togs have helped me so much Chris ya gotta try and pay back ,even if I press ganged you to do the work,:rolleyes: which is awful really,but hey what can I say;) I'm getting there slow but sure,but things like this need to be right....it's for someone else!!!

I've sent her a pm too(some inspiration) and another apology,bloody upstarts huh:D

cheers for getting where this came from kiddo(y)

stu

Hey guy thanks sooo much for the concern and trying to help.yes im not really sure how im supposed to set the white ballance:(
Am i to do it on camera or while post prossesing?
i dont really have a good software for photo editing im using my ipad it had some typ of software on it.i need to get a laptop.and im happy about critique thats how we learn right?
and no im not really happy with the images i just dont know how to change it.

White balance, set this in camera, but it can also be tweaked in processing.I don't know where you have it set, and this may sound odd, living where you do, but set it to cloudy, and try a few tests shots.

There are quite a few free editing programmes, "gimp" I believe is one of the best, but I've not used it. It's only what I've heard.

Have a Google and see what you fancy.

Hope that helps :)

White balance, set this in camera, but it can also be tweaked in processing.I don't know where you have it set, and this may sound odd, living where you do, but set it to cloudy, and try a few tests shots.

There are quite a few free editing programmes, "gimp" I believe is one of the best, but I've not used it. It's only what I've heard.

Have a Google and see what you fancy.

Hope that helps :)
Mine is set on flash.dont know what that means.but im going to try putting it on cloudy and see if it improves the colour.thanks so much:)
about the editing program i have to see if its available for ipad.

No problem :)
Definitely get it off the flash setting. If cloudy doesn't work then try sunny. BUT while shooting outside keep it off any of the "artificial light" settings. Such as fluorescent or tungsten. As these are trying to compensate for something that isn't there.

Last edited:
Cheers Chris ya rock bro(y)

Lisa some little things if you shoot in RAW you can change WB later on,even if you shot in flash you can still go back and change the WB to say cloudy or sunny what ever. This is why we shoot RAW it is so flexible

,A Nikon guy might help you here. Canon have a free stand alone programme called DPP,it's basically a simple RAW converter....it ships with every canon camera they sell if Nikon do the same this is worth looking at. with canon some really acomplished togs still use DPP to start their post processing,and then move to PS(photoshop). The reason being canon knows what algorythms they use exactly to make their images ,so some prefer this step to PS . If nikon do the same this might be a great start for you. Everything in canons DPP is global,so you can't for example reduce noise on a BKG and selectively sharpen your subject. That said if Nikon do a similar progamme to canon then for a novice I'd bet it is a great place to start. Fairly simple,but amazing how much you can do to enhance that RAW ,you can also convert to srgb and jpeg within that base programme least ways with canon.

Mate WB basically refers to colour temp as well as presets like cloudy sunny daylight etc You might have a colour temp slider in your editing software. So if you don't like what the presets do you can try this slider to get the WB to your liking. Canon files always seem a bit too warm to me so I use this often. The presets often are a bit coarse so you have some flexibility here again IF YOU SHOOT in RAW. There is also a thing called an eye dropper which you click on an area of neutral grey in the image(if you have it) the software then corrects the image to that. Of note if it is say sunset and the light is really warm,then the eyedropper might not be the best choice as it will make the image much cooler than it actually was when shot,so you have to play a bit and find what is best for you

Oh mate huge apologies,i've had to use the N word many times here:eek: I promise i'll wash my mouth out asap:rolleyes: and say a few hail mary's for my transgressions,:banana:then I'm off for a lie down,hard this lark:D

Lisa, serious head on for a mo,sorry I try to live life with a smile on my face, I am in no way as experienced as many folks here,please check all this through so you understand it. WB is probably one of you first steps in getting the best out of an image you have taken, it is very important you really get this. Mate I'm a complete numpty with this digi stuff,it's really hard for me getting my head around this all,it's coming no doubt but it is not a natural thing for me,give me a ickle beastie to talk to and things are different;)

What I do know is understanding these basic processing steps is desparately important.

all the luck mate

stu

The nikon D3200 should have a pretty good Auto White balance that will change depending on the light you take your pictures in without you having to worry about changing it.

It might, but as you get your eye in....... get more and more experience I'd lay a bet, Ben, that view will change. you should worry about being in control of this

The camera is just a tool to express our individual take on the world. Ben that is my or your take(not right or wrong bro ),do you really want a nameless face who made auto WB to represent what you saw? Or would you like to control that within your image?

For example did the guy at nikon or canon who made the auto WB preset ever sit in your corner of the world know your particular light?

Ben would you...should you settle for this?????

Ben if we aspire to take the best image and represent it as we actually saw it,is auto anything ever going to cut it... mate there are times when the auto options are tools to help us. But I don't think a craftsman is going to settle for an easy option,he's going to know every inch of what the tools are capable of,and then use the best option. sometime auto will cut it,but many times I truly think not. I don't know Nikon mate I just use tools whether microphones or light, saws or chainsaws I want control of the detail. the camera manufactures give us a tool we must master it to get the best
auto is auto
I was there when I took me pic
you were there when you took yours
Lisa when she took hers
how can auto give each of us what we want???
Lisa is in Africa you in your corner of blighty me mine
is the light really the same

Buddy think on why I have written this,you are a determined young guy(it's brill to see love it(y)),don't settle for ok

OK ain't good enough you owe yourself more than that

stu

It might, but as you get your eye in....... get more and more experience I'd lay a bet, Ben, that view will change. you should worry about being in control of this

The camera is just a tool to express our individual take on the world. Ben that is my or your take(not right or wrong bro ),do you really want a nameless face who made auto WB to represent what you saw? Or would you like to control that within your image?

For example did the guy at nikon or canon who made the auto WB preset ever sit in your corner of the world know your particular light?

Ben would you...should you settle for this?????

Ben if we aspire to take the best image and represent it as we actually saw it,is auto anything ever going to cut it... mate there are times when the auto options are tools to help us. But I don't think a craftsman is going to settle for an easy option,he's going to know every inch of what the tools are capable of,and then use the best option. sometime auto will cut it,but many times I truly think not. I don't know Nikon mate I just use tools whether microphones or light, saws or chainsaws I want control of the detail. the camera manufactures give us a tool we must master it to get the best
auto is auto
I was there when I took me pic
you were there when you took yours
Lisa when she took hers
how can auto give each of us what we want???
Lisa is in Africa you in your corner of blighty me mine
is the light really the same

Buddy think on why I have written this,you are a determined young guy(it's brill to see love it(y)),don't settle for ok

OK ain't good enough you owe yourself more than that

stu
I don't doubt that it can be better, but as a starting point it is a good one before making any minor adjustments in post.

The nikon D3200 should have a pretty good Auto White balance that will change depending on the light
Ah I didn't realise that these were taken with a Nikon, but I should have guessed, curiously Nikon tends to err on the magenta side, Canon on the blue side.
"Cloudy" tends to negate this problem on both models.
Certainly in the UK, how it would work in Africa though I have no idea, that's why I suggested Lisa tried Cloudy first.

Hey guys thanks sooooo much for all the great info(y)(y):ty:

I really need to take some time though to read all this through.im still very new to all this:oops: :$
And im sure im going to have a ton of questions:D

Back