Tiny Spider - Macro Attempt 3, ID Please

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks @alfbranch for suggesting a diffuser. With one made out of cardboard and foil, and some tissue paper, I had a go at my 3rd subject - a tiny spider. It was extremely fast moving, but eventually I had a few opportunities when it decided to stand still. I let the little spider go, so it lives to fight another day!!

HSC_4679 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

HSC_4675 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Any advice on how I can improve gratefully received.

P.S. Anybody know what kind of spider this was?

I've noticed that my ISO is quite high. I'm thinking - use live view with the high ISO setting to get accurate focus, then reduce ISO and take the shot? At the moment, ISO 100 gives me a black live view so no use for focusing.

Did you place it on a white background or was it on the windowsill?
The white will have made the expsoure more difficult get right as it would bounce more light leading to uderexposure I presume then making the noise from the high ISO worse
For a situtation like this a torch attached to the camera can help illuminate things to focus and frame

The angles are good and the focus was good but you lost sharpness

I put it on a sheet of paper. It was more for contrast really.

What would you recommend as a suitable background? I see people tend to use a 'third hand' to hold a piece of plant to which they put their specimen on.

Will try a torch next time so I can keep the ISO low during focusing. Thanks for the tips!!

I would suggest something natural looking like a leaf if you can.
I rarely move anything except when things are on dead wood or leaves but that is moving them on the habitat.

Last edited:
Back