Tip Top Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart, in that link it says; ` 12. (1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any appliance unless that appliance is correctly fitted with a standard plug` http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/regulation/12/made

In another section 12 (2) (b) it says; `...fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.`

????? :confused:

lol Elliott.

It's simple.

Any electrical device (other than a shaver or toothbrush) has to be sold with either a UK plug or an adapted plug that has an adapter of a type that encloses the non-UK plug and can only be removed with tools.

Anything else is illegal.

Well, 12.1 is hard to disagree with but I've certainly bought things from the likes of Apple, PC World, B&Q who have all broke the law for 12(2)(b), I've never needed a tool and it's never been enclosed. Where do adapters like you get in airports come into this?

In the real world I can't see trading standards or the HSE being all that interested, you might as well tell them that I once copied a CD and changed a sealed kettle lead on my PC for a standard plug too ;)

Well, 12.1 is hard to disagree with but I've certainly bought things from the likes of Apple, PC World, B&Q who have all broke the law for 12(2)(b), I've never needed a tool and it's never been enclosed. Where do adapters like you get in airports come into this?

The adapter isn't an electrical appliance, but it is actually mentioned in the exemptions.

6. Any travel adaptor (that is to say an adaptor which enables a plug designed for use in the United Kingdom to be connected to a socket used outside the United Kingdom).

In the real world I can't see trading standards or the HSE being all that interested, you might as well tell them that I once copied a CD and changed a sealed kettle lead on my PC for a standard plug too ;)

You'd be surprised, there have been a number of prosecutions under these regulations.

So you could use any piece of crap adapter and it's all ok? Some of these I've seen have been lethal!

I suppose somebody will have been prosecuted for every law but the UK H&S system is a farce, miles more red tape than is necessary. A bit off topic but the government are apparently trying to cut down on this but as I visit various construction sites every year something just gets added onto the PPE list and it's become ridiculous.

If the item is bought in HK and the UK guy has to pay the VAT/ Duty like you would with Digital Rev, are they not the importer and as it's for personal use it's no problem?

So you could use any piece of crap adapter and it's all ok? Some of these I've seen have been lethal!

No, only a small number of adapters are approved, they have to enclose the non UK plug and only be removeable with tools, the cheap clip on adapters are not legal.

If the item is bought in HK and the UK guy has to pay the VAT/ Duty like you would with Digital Rev, are they not the importer and as it's for personal use it's no problem?

The buyer is the importer, no matter who the foreign retailer is. If the buyer doesn't declare and pay the import vat it is a problem for the buyer, not the foreign retailer.

Question. Not intent on causing an argument. But why are there a minority of people on this forum obsessed with imports, vat, import duty, electrical adapters? :) These comments are all just repeated over and over and over and over again. I mean, I understand what has been written many threads ago by you guys. Don't you guys get bored of rehashing this stuff time after time on this moral crusade? :)

Question. Not intent on causing an argument. But why are there a minority of people on this forum obsessed with imports, vat, import duty, electrical adapters? :) These comments are all just repeated over and over and over and over again. I mean, I understand what has been written many threads ago by you guys. Don't you guys get bored of rehashing this stuff time after time on this moral crusade? :)
Kev - My interest is simple and I don't mind declaring it. I run a small business which I try to operate legally. I face a lot of competition from businesses which do not even try to operate legally, and this gives them an unfair advantage. I think that's wrong. If I can help persuade people not to patronise those businesses, it might help me. I'd like HMRC to clamp down and stop all these black (sic) market retailers, but until that happens... OK?

I have read a lot of negative views about Tip Top Electronics and wanted to give my six-penny's worth:

I have left it a couple of months in case other people's views had proved correct but no, they are still trading.
I was a little nervous buying from Tip Top Electronics. I had not heard of them before. They do not accept credit/debit cards, just PayPal or Bank Transfer. They do charge for PayPal but this is just the amount they are charged. I went with PayPal as there is cover in case the items do not arrive. Their website is a little slow.
The prices they charge are much cheaper than competitors although delivery estimates are much slower.
In November 2013 I ordered a Panasonic Lumix GX7 camera and two lenses which together were around £300 cheaper that elsewhere.
I paid a Paypal surcharge of £31 as I hadn't heard of Tip Top before.
There were some problems down the line;
On the site my order was shown as 'Processing' until I received the items. It would have been more reassuring to see this change to 'Order In Dispatch' after a couple of days as advertised on their site.
I phoned them and they answered the phone promptly. They promised to phone back which they did within 10 minutes. They explained that the items were out of stock but had been able to source elsewhere for me and should be available in a few days. I phoned them a few days later and was told the items would be arriving in their Bournemouth warehouse in 2 days and would be sent to me with a tracking number emailed as soon as they arrived.
I didn't receive any information so on the day I was to have received the items, I phoned them. They explained that a tracking number had been emailed and was out for delivery today. They forwarded the tracking number straight away.
The items arrived two weeks after ordering.

Overall I am very happy with the service I received. They could have kept me informed of progress a little better but whenever I had to contact them, they were courteous and helpful. The email with tracking information didn't arrive. This may have just been a glitch.
More information on PayPal charges could be given earlier in the order process.
They are a newish business with excellent prices. I am sure that in time they will improve their speed of delivery, their standard of communication and payment methods.
I would certainly buy from them again as they at least are prepared to talk to you rather than just deal with them via email as is the case with many other dealers. I could have saved my self £31 and paid by bank transfer.

I understand that they are now accepting Credit cards

Last edited:
What is the matter with people? Just because I submitted a favourable review, it gets reported as a fake. Look at my portfolio on ephotozine; http://www.ephotozine.com/user/rnomis-11489 to see that I am a real person, search for my facebook: Simon Reynolds in Brighton and then apologise.

Interesting choice of first post - and on a subject that was closed just yesterday ... i'm sure everyone who posts reviews is a real person, whether the review is real or shill in every case is matter of opinion

Thanks Big soft moose.
I much better response which didn't stress me out. I wasn't aware of the subject being closed just yesterday. I had been meaning to do this for some time but pressure of work etc. I just want to see a new dealer do well as they had given me good service. I often write reviews for hotels, home appliances, holidays and anything when I feel I received good service (and even when I receive bad service).
I am sorry if it came over as a little trite but I write instruction manuals as part of my job and try to use enthusiastic and friendly language.
Simon

I just want to see a new dealer do well as they had given me good service.

Thats fair enough - although its still a little OTT to join a forum specifically to plug them , will you also be joining POTN et al too spread the good word ?

I don't have any personal experience of tipi top but thats largely because i won't order from any company who's terms and conditions don't comply with uk law , and the hofraw on the other thread, including multiple 1 post count reviews from obvious shills, didnt really inspure confidence either

This `review` doesn't change the facts about Ben not being truthful ....... or their T&C's though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the constructive comments. When I bought from them, credit card was not an option. Yes, a little OTT to do this on my first post. I shall however start to create a 'Gallery' for my photos and look forward to comments. I have been away from photography due to stress and work pressures.
Since buying my new Lumix DX7, my interest has been rekindled. I look forward to browsing your photographs as well.

If I wanted to plant fake reviews I'd probably go on facebook and find some open profiles. Then I might borrow their profile pictures, maybe use it on some forums. When people asked me to prove who I was, I'd then point them at the facebook profile I nicked the image from. Just saying... ;-)

As there were two threads were running on this.
They have now been merged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back