Tips / Advice - 6 person Portrait - what kit can I get away with

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I've been asked and accepted to do some portrait photos a group of 6 children as a present to their gran. I've not really done any portrait stuff like this before.

I'm thinking if I buy a stand/paper backdrop and use my 2 flash guns off camera with the stofen diffusers I have I can probably busk it. Will this be enough or is it worth trying to get hold of a third flash gun and diffuser?

I've had a look at few threads on here about lighting kits and am still not sure which is the better option. Any advice, tips, thoughts and suggestions for places to get backdrops or lighting kits etc really appreciated.

ta
:thinking:

I think you are going to really struggle to get a well lit backdrop and six subjects with a couple of speedlights.

Surely you're better off getting outside, perhaps with some backlighting and using the flashes you have as fill.

thats fair comment, they want it on a white backdrop though so don't think I can do that - maybe I can find a white wall :p I think I will probably struggle with two speedlights two, do you think a third would make much difference

I'm not sure if one more speedlight would solve your issues. The problem with using these as studio heads is not so much the power output but the spread of the light. Being a smaller light source you'd need to have them quite far back to get an even light on the backdrop and on the subjects. Then you start to have issues with the light levels getting low, so you have to open up the lens to try and get your exposure right. That in turn means the DoF is getting small, which is not so great for a group of people where you want everyone sharp.

If it's a whiteout look that you need, perhaps a studio hire is the answer?? :shrug:

Could be lots of fun for you and the kids, as the freedom to play would be great and you can throw in a bit of posed time as you shoot.

more good advice cheers. I've got a friend who has a recording studio which I was thinking about hiring to give me more space but you may be right about hiring somewhere though. Are there any lighting kits you would recommend or anything

Would a softbox solve the issues with the flash not spreading the light enough?
I am really asking this question as I don't know the answer

I am in the process of making my own softbox, very low cost worth a try?

The diffusers I've got are pretty good, not far off a softbox in my opinion, I was kind of hoping I might get away with them but as dazzajl says by the time you have lit everyone you may have lost some power, I'm gonna do some tests I think. I've got a couple of weeks till the shoot - we'll see what happens.

Cany anyone recommend good stands / bgs + where to buy?

thats a really useful link, I was planning on going through some of his stuff before the shoot but didn't find that one. I think I need to get a backdrop and a few friends around and see whats possible with my current gear

Back