Tips for airshow / inflight photography ?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks,

Never shot an airshow before, thinking about visiting the Shoreham airshow this weekend.

I will be taking my 7D and 100-400 (I have a 70 -200 F4 IS and a 1.4x if that would be better?)

What mode do you you normally shoot in ? (TV?)

Partial or spot metering?

how do you cope with the sky ? (+1 exposure comp?)

As you can tell, I have no clue :)

All advice gratefully received

I tend to shoot in TV (although sometimes manual) between 1/1000 and 1/1600 for fast jets, auto ISO, centre weighted average and +2/3rds ev. For prop planes I shoot much lower but how low depends on the plane's speed.

The sky can be recovered in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I also use AI Servo with either expanded or all 19 points active and either far left or far right as the starting point.

I would probably stick to the 100-400 but Ihave no experience of it myself so others might be better to guide you there.

Hope this helps and good luck :D

I tend to shoot in TV (although sometimes manual) between 1/1000 and 1/1600 for fast jets, auto ISO, centre weighted average and +2/3rds ev. For prop planes I shoot much lower but how low depends on the plane's speed.

The sky can be recovered in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I also use AI Servo with either expanded or all 19 points active and either far left or far right as the starting point.

I would probably stick to the 100-400 but Ihave no experience of it myself so others might be better to guide you there.

Hope this helps and good luck :D

Thank you very much for the very helpful advice.....

Really appreciate you taking the time....

ai servo and all points active sounds like the right approach given they should be the closest object (y)

No probs mate, I look forward to seeing some shots afterward.

I find the all points works very well, even for multiple aircraft teams although that's when I do tend to use expanded as it lets me be more selective on which plane I focus on. My keeper rate has definately gone up using 19 points as it keeps up with the aircraft better than I can.

manual all the way for me

i tend to run around F8 and for the life of me cant think of the correct shutter speed but i think 250 to about 400 and no more iso as low as possible that is a kind of standard for the sircraft side i would of use single point focus with Ai servo to keep track of the aircraft

Thanks for the advice and links....

I am going to hopefully enjoy the day and get some shots so I am prepared to play around a bit...

Thanks

Back