Tips for cleaning camera

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any tips for general cleaning of the camera, lens and filters.
How do you do yours?

I assume you don't mean sensor cleaning Ken? I've yet to do mine anyway so you're out of luck.

Camera body:-
Externally all I've ever done is wipe it over with a dry cloth. With the plastic outer casing on modern cameras a damp cloth will remove any stubborn marks which can build up from handling. A little stiffish brush is good for removing dust from inaccessible places around nobs and buttons.

Body internally:-
Never ever touch the mirror with your fingers or anything else as they're often surface coated and you can remove or mar the finish permanently. Any slight dust you might be able to see on the mirror is probably best ignored because if you try to blow it off you're likely to dislodge it and get dust all over the focusing screen where it's highly visible, and whlst it doesn't appear on your pics, it's extremely annoying. I don't like using blower brushes in the camera at all for that reason. I have a little mini vac thing which runs off one AA battery, but I seldom use it to be honest. The best thing is prevention - don't leave the body without a cap or lens in place - ever, and don't lay it on it's back so dust can fall in.

Try to always store your gear in a bag or case and try not to store it up the corner on the carpet where all sorts of bugs and crawlies do dwell. I had a mite of some sort crawling around in my viewfinder for yonks once! Very distracting. If you've a cupboard which will house your gear - all the better, and try to keep your gear in a heated room you normally occupy so you avoid condensation when bringing it into the warm.

Lenses and Filters:-

Fingerprints are the big danger with lenses and filters as if left unattended they can chemically etch into the coating. All I've ever done in the main is a judicious dose of hot breath on the lens/filter surface and gently clean with a soft cloth. If you get a really stubborn mark then you can try a proprietory lens cleaner, but never apply it right onto the lens as you can strip the coating -always apply it to the cloth then the lens.

Thanks Ct. :thumb: I've seen a whole host of products lately for lens and filter cleaning and before purchasing any if at all, just wanted to know what you guys used. So basically a couple of clean dry cloths, are these micro fibre/fibreless or anything special like that?
Ct said:
I had a mite of some sort crawling around in my viewfinder for yonks once! Very distracting.
Yes I think that would be a little distracting. :)

You can get lens cleaning cloths from Jessops et al Ken, but I've never bothered getting one. Those cloths for cleaning specs or any nice soft cloth is ideal. Just avoid anything with a harsh feel or which sheds fibres.

I forgot to mention, there's a camera repair guy locally and he gets a steady flow of work from people who try to blow dust from inside the camera - off the mirror etc - with their lips! I've made this mistake myself, and the mess it makes when your lips aren't as dry as you think is horrendous.

... unless you own a 1Ds in which case you can take it in the bath/shower with you or pop it in the dishwasher...

:stupid:

(no responsibility will be accepted by any hedgehogs for anyone foolish enough to follow this advice)

:D:D

I just bought a new power drill. One of the 'Do Nots' is ' Do not immerse the drill in water when it is plugged into a power outlet'

I always keep it simple. A light dusting of lens surfaces followed by a wipe over with a Lens Pen. Any serious grot that manages to lodge onto glass gets a pecpad with a drop or two of eclipse on it. I'd never use a specs cloth as they nearly always have silicone impregnation. Camera bodies get a dust off with a small paintbrush then a gentle wipe with a very slightly damp cloth.

Thanks for the advice, so what does a lens pen do?

Back