Tips for confused first time 120 film user.

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to start off my first roll of 120 film and having never used it before I'm a little confused.

I know it's not in a canister but paper backed. Does this mean I can handle it and load it safely in daylight or even with the paper is it still prone to light leaks? Should I only handle it in the dark?

What about unloading? I imagine it'll be not too tightly rolled on to the take up reel and will unfurl when I open the camera. I'm guessing this needs complete darkness?

Once I've unloaded how should I store it to get it to the lab? Do I re tape it with sellotape or would this damage the backing or film in any way?

Anything else I've missed?

I'm about to start off my first roll of 120 film and having never used it before I'm a little confused.

I know it's not in a canister but paper backed. Does this mean I can handle it and load it safely in daylight or even with the paper is it still prone to light leaks? Should I only handle it in the dark?
What about unloading? I imagine it'll be not too tightly rolled on to the take up reel and will unfurl when I open the camera. I'm guessing this needs complete darkness?

Loading and Unloading can be done in subdued lighting, doesn't need to be pitch black, having said that, I've loaded and unloaded in sunlight and not had any problems.

Once I've unloaded how should I store it to get it to the lab? Do I re tape it with sellotape or would this damage the backing or film in any way?

Anything else I've missed?

Make sure the film is pretty tightly wound, that should be enough unless it is likely to be stood in direct sunlight for any length of time.
I you're really worried,you can wrap them in tin foil.....:D
oh, once you have shot your roll you don't wind it back like 35mm, it has wound itself on to another 120 spool and with that comes a sticky tab so you don't need sellotape, sometimes the tab is sticky sometimes you have to lick it, depends on the film.

Last edited:
To be honest I always load in whatever light conditions I'm in, from inside at night to blazing midday sun. It doesn't really matter as long as you don't faff around for ages. Depending on what camera you have, it should be tightly enough wound onto the next spool that it won't ping when you're finished with the roll!

I've often had to reload 120 film in bright sunlight - I just turn so that my back is to the sun, so I'm working in shade, and I don't think I've ever had any fogging problems.

There's some pretty reasonable videos on the 120 loading process on YouTube. If you search for loading your Holga you'll find several to choose from. The loading process is pretty similar for most 120 format cameras, slightly more complex for the professional level SLRs with cartridge systems.

Thanks everyone. I will stop fretting about it now and get out next weekend for a play around with it.

I've been given an old Box Brownie for Christmas. Pretty basic but seems to be in good working order. It has 2 settings- 1/40th and bulb, fixed f11 and a slide across portrait lens (or filter) that I'm not sure of the purpose of but will experiment with. I've now sourced some old 620 film spools so I should be good to go as soon as I've re-spooled or hacked off the edges of the 120 spool with nail scissors. I'm really not used to the idea of having no say in the exposure but I guess I'll just go with it and see how things turn out.

Back