Tips for improving home security?

As I said, maybe a 'beware of the alsation' sign and/or dog lead hung up in the porch might be enough to help deter an opportunist. Somebody who knows me better would obviously know its fake though.
If you're worried about being burgled by people who know you, that's a whole different set of problems surely?

the old guy over the road from my brothers got burgled a few years ago, they simply booted the bottom panel of his kitchen door in, our kid went over the next day to see if he was ok, there he found him wiring a metal plate that was on the floor behind the kitchen door to the mains....anybody trying the same trick was getting fried, he said ...f**k them if they die and i go to prison il have all the comforts of home, 3 meals a day and probably feel safer in my cell than at home...he did persuade him to take it out...eventually

As I said, maybe a 'beware of the alsation' sign and/or dog lead hung up in the porch might be enough to help deter an opportunist. Somebody who knows me better would obviously know its fake though.

If you don't actually own a dog, feel free to put up any dog sign you wish; however, if you DO have the dog, and it were to actually injure someone whilst defending your property, you open yourself up to being sued, because in displaying the sign with BEWARE, you are a good as admitting the fact that you are aware that your dog may injure another person.

It's ridiculous, I know, but there it is.

The more popular signs these days are "(enter breed) roaming free on property".
Simple information, no hint of threat.

Attend a few prayer meetings at your local mosque, raise a few pro ISIS flags in your front garden, and log into some dodgy DIY terrorism websites from time to time. You can then relax in the knowledge that the police, special branch, MI5, and probably the FBI will be watching over your house 24/7.

On a more serious note, get in touch with your local Neighbourhood Watch who should have access to a Police Liaison Officer who can give some excellent advice on home security.

As I said, maybe a 'beware of the alsation' sign and/or dog lead hung up in the porch might be enough to help deter an opportunist.
Sad but true, My Alsation was huge, she could be seen resting her head on the window cill, and peering out, out of the window awaiting my return, on a daily basis.
Apparently she never said a lot, just sat there patiently, everyday.
While she was in residence, my two neighbours, one attached the other just a few feet away, both were burgled. ( one twice) Thankfully we never were.

Whether of not the basking crocodile, on the window cill is as effective as a GSD, who knows ...

Last edited:
Create an illusion of being in when you are out and have a burglar alarm installed is the best advice I can give you. I have literally attended 1,000s of Burglary scenes over the years as a Scenes of Crime Officer / CSI.

Last edited:
Back