Beginner Tips for keeping the camera steady

It's been mentioned already, but 'rolling' your finger over the button reduces vibration and motion of the camera.

Don't press the button with the tip of your finger vertically downwards. Rest your finger, horizontally and 'roll' it over the button.

A quick search found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv7eYH_JNPs&ab_channel=RunNGun

Thanks. That's basically how I was doing it. Slightly more the end of my finger that's on it, but I can't seem to press the button in far enough for it to take the shot when I have my finger more across it.

If you are holding your breath while you shoot, don’t!

No, I'm not.

Assuning your problem is one of needing distance between your eye(s) and the screen to focus your image viewing.

Can you borrow a camera to try a folding rear screen?

Holding it against your body at waist height, bracing your stance, whilst holding your breath, might work with the 18-55 lens and when you're used to that you could try with long lens on a monopod.

It is. I'd love to try out some different cameras, but unfortunately I can't borrow one and it costs too much to hire them.

Well landscapes you should tripod most of the time and wildlife, well,...even if you have top expensive gear does mean you get good images ! ! ! lol

Yeah, I do plan to use my tripod more. Haven't always had it with me previously because it's awkward carrying it around and haven't known if I'd have chance to use it as it has been a case of grabbing quick-ish shots while on a walk with others who don't want to keep stopping, which obviously isn't ideal. And yes, wildlife is certainly not the easiest to photograph lol. I'm always happy when I get even a half decent photo though. Hopefully my photos will improve as I keep practicing.

Some one told me years ago to use the middle finger not the pointing finger for the shutter to help prevent the problem.
This also has the benefit os being able to use the wheel and buttons behind the shutter button without changing finger position (of course it doesn't help for cameras with the wheel in front of the shutter button)

Thanks. Tried switching fingers and have a similar outcome in the photos, but I'll have to remember to keep trying my other finger and see if it helps.

my digital photography started with a canon 400D, which really is a revamped 300D ( the first digital DSLR to be under £1,000 I believe ) which had only 1 cross typed AF point in a grid of 9, ISO limit of 1600, 10mp sensor, pretty basic really, however still a capable camera.

There was not that many youtube videos around on beginners using DSLR's I think it was vemo videos at the time ! ! !
So I had to learn how to stand with elbows tucked in, focus recomposed, lean against posts, walls, chairs as I did not want to push the camera beyond ISO 300/400. I even purchased a gorillapod to attach the camera to chairs, litter bin, lampposts, etc using 2 second timer + cable release.
All these techniques really helped when I got my EOS 7D as I was fully aware of how to get steady / non blurred images. However sometimes a venue / location is just difficult i.e a music gig in a poorly light hall !

I envied Full Frame owners as they had some much more dynamic range, higher ISO, better low light capability, better DSLR's, however I believe starting with a entry level camera has made me appreciate what I have and how to work with the limitation of my kit and myself !

This is a wonderful discovery of our determination, resolve, dedication to achieve the highest standard possible !
One thing I have realized is I can not compete with rich hobbyists, so I work myself and my kit harder to prove I do not need that expensive kit to be better tog, however I would like the kit as Xmas presents ! ! ! ! lol

Yeah, exactly. I'd love to be able to spend more money on the kit and, as much as I really like the D3300, with a bigger budget I would have gone for a different camera. Probably still Nikon, but there a couple of features I'd like which this doesn't have. But I know it's a good camera and I'm happy to learn and keep just taking photos. And no matter how good the kit, you still have to learn to use it or you'll still have a blurry mess.

Sounds like a muscle memory thing from gaming, everytime a button is pressed you move without realizing it.

Try this as an exercise to find out what is happening: Line up a shot with your left hand resting on a post or something simillar, squeeze the shutter button but concentrate on what is happening to the rest of your body, i.e are your hips moving, shoulder going up, hand pressing into the post, head tilting etc. You may be able to isolate a movement and then start to work on it. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a muscle memory thing from gaming, everytime a button is pressed you move without realizing it.

Try this as an exercise to find out what is happening: Line up a shot with your left hand resting on a post or something simillar, squeeze the shutter button but concentrate on what is happening to the rest of your body, i.e are your hips moving, shoulder going up, hand pressing into the post, head tilting etc. You may be able to isolate a movement and then start to work on it. :)

Yeah, exactly. Pretty sure I don't usually move anything other than my right arm, which goes down a bit and sometimes my other arm joins it lol. If my left hand is resting, it's either supporting the camera enough that it can't go down/tilt or it'll be a slight right tilt as my right arm drops down a little. It's possible my shoulder moves down slightly, but that'll be through moving my arm, rather than my shoulder moving and making my arm move.

I move more with a controller, but I am aware of trying to keep still and steady when taking a photo lol.

Yeah, exactly. Pretty sure I don't usually move anything other than my right arm, which goes down a bit and sometimes my other arm joins it lol. If my left hand is resting, it's either supporting the camera enough that it can't go down/tilt or it'll be a slight right tilt as my right arm drops down a little. It's possible my shoulder moves down slightly, but that'll be through moving my arm, rather than my shoulder moving and making my arm move.

I move more with a controller, but I am aware of trying to keep still and steady when taking a photo lol.

Often you can rest the camera against something — fence/wall/tree trunk/car maybe.

A bean bag can be useful — home made from a sleeve etc & polystyrene ‘beads’, weighs almost nothing. Useful padding in bag when not in use.

Monopod, which is good, has already been mentioned but also there are those gorillapods.

Often you can rest the camera against something — fence/wall/tree trunk/car maybe.

A bean bag can be useful — home made from a sleeve etc & polystyrene ‘beads’, weighs almost nothing. Useful padding in bag when not in use.

Monopod, which is good, has already been mentioned but also there are those gorillapods.

Thanks. I have bought a monopod so I'll see if that helps - hopefully will! I have considered a gorillapod, but I don't always feel like I'd have anywhere to put it. Like the other week I was walking up a path, field to the side of me. Plenty of landscape around to photograph, but no where to attach a gorillapod and nothing to rest on. The path sloped and was uneven so a tripod would have been awkward too (or at least taken more time to set up than what I had). If I find I am going more places where a gorillapod could be useful I'd certainly consider buying one.

Yeah, exactly. I'd love to be able to spend more money on the kit and, as much as I really like the D3300, with a bigger budget I would have gone for a different camera. Probably still Nikon, but there a couple of features I'd like which this doesn't have. But I know it's a good camera and I'm happy to learn and keep just taking photos. And no matter how good the kit, you still have to learn to use it or you'll still have a blurry mess.
it has an excellent Sony sensor ,only better lenses would take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I wish I could help PeachDragon.

I've seen people nod forward or sway back when taking pictures but at least you realise what you're doing and that is important as you can now practice and try to be still. At least with digital you can practice a lot and it'll cost very little so all I can really suggest is keep at it, practice... a lot... and hopefully you'll get there.

Best wishes and good luck with it :D

I wish I could help PeachDragon.

I've seen people nod forward or sway back when taking pictures but at least you realise what you're doing and that is important as you can now practice and try to be still. At least with digital you can practice a lot and it'll cost very little so all I can really suggest is keep at it, practice... a lot... and hopefully you'll get there.

Best wishes and good luck with it :D

Thanks! Yes, I am very glad for digital cameras. Using film would be very expensive and frustrating lol.

Thanks! Yes, I am very glad for digital cameras. Using film would be very expensive and frustrating lol.

This is so true,......
in 2005 I went to Russia for 2 weeks and saw alot from Moscow to St.Petersburg and my weapon of at the time was Canon eos 50E 35mm film camera.
I used 5 rolls of film ( 36 exposures ) and it cost me apx £35 to get developed in my local boots.
Out of 180 said photos I am sure only about 50 were ok, and out of that 50 apx 10-15 were decent enough.

The weather was changeable, so the light went from bright sun to dark moody cloud in a day and I properly had loaded ISO 200 film in the 50E. If I went there now ( pre Ukraine war ) my approach would be completely different. As I would not be very reverse about taking photos as it cost me nothing, what a joy it is to use digital cameras ! ! ! !

Blurred or very dark photos were very common ! ! lol

This is so true,......
in 2005 I went to Russia for 2 weeks and saw alot from Moscow to St.Petersburg and my weapon of at the time was Canon eos 50E 35mm film camera.
I used 5 rolls of film ( 36 exposures ) and it cost me apx £35 to get developed in my local boots.
Out of 180 said photos I am sure only about 50 were ok, and out of that 50 apx 10-15 were decent enough.

The weather was changeable, so the light went from bright sun to dark moody cloud in a day and I properly had loaded ISO 200 film in the 50E. If I went there now ( pre Ukraine war ) my approach would be completely different. As I would not be very reverse about taking photos as it cost me nothing, what a joy it is to use digital cameras ! ! ! !

Blurred or very dark photos were very common ! ! lol

Indeed lol. I was worried you were going to say not one was good! At least you got some decent ones, even if they weren't as good as you hoped.

I remember walking around the shops while waiting for photos to be done. Now we walk around the shops with hundreds of photos already in our pockets and new photos are there instantly. Amazing really.

Technology has its good and bad points, but it's on the right path with the digital cameras, that's for sure.

Thanks for the link.

I only mentioned the brand for the screen position. I haven't read all that article, but in every photo he's looking through the viewfinder with arms close to his body to have it steady and I can't do that.

He also has the lens cap on...I know he's not actually taking photos, but when advising how to take better photos it's a pretty important thing to not have the lens cap on.

I was just watching a video that suggested a timer as well. I see one bit says "Another technique to gain more stability is using a handheld 2sec timer delay (just be cautioned that this automatically disables the Shake Reduction we all know and love." Does that apply to all cameras/lenses?
When I had my dslr if I was using a tripod I always used the timer delay, it solved the camera shake problem. Then I bought a remote control for the shutter button.

Does a camera have to be held at arms length?

When I had my dslr if I was using a tripod I always used the timer delay, it solved the camera shake problem. Then I bought a remote control for the shutter button.

Does a camera have to be held at arms length?

I don't have it at arms length, it's just not as close as anyone who uses the viewfinder.

I have a remote and plan to use that more.

A two way tilt head for your monopod would help , as it means you can use the monopod at a angle away from yourself then your legs and the monopod combine to make a tripod , my only other suggestion would be to look at Olympus cameras as most models have various degrees of i.b.i.s in body image stabilisers that actually work . And a two times crop factor that allows closer to subject views. Plus cameras and lenses are generally smaller ,lighter and cheaper than other brands

Last edited:
A two way tilt head for your monopod would help , as it means you can use the monopod at a angle away from yourself then your legs and the monopod combine to make a tripod , my only other suggestion would be to look at Olympus cameras as most models have various degrees of i.b.i.s in body image stabilisers that actually work . And a two times crop factor that allows closer to subject views. Plus cameras and lenses are generally smaller ,lighter and cheaper than other brands

I bought a monopod to try, just a cheap one for now. I think it only tilts one way, but if it helps and I find I need two way tilting I can look to getting a better one.

Smaller, lighter and cheaper does sound good, but I can't afford to be getting a different camera, however cheap, and I really like the one I have (which I haven't had all that long).

I hold my breathe when taking photos handheld

get one of these pistol grips, cost on amazon around £15. holding a camera with both hands in different directions is better than both hands the same way. I can hold my camcorder rock steady with one of these screwed into the camcorder base. you won't regret it believe me.

_DSC6047.jpg

P1051167.JPG

This is one of the best bits of kit for your camera bag and so often overlooked. Believe me you won't regret it. the weight is now supported from underneath not from the side and this makes a huge difference

There is no way could I do this video (hand held) and keep it so steady without the grip atteached to my camcorder

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Qc4GZvJFE&t=15s

Last edited:
To hold it steady maybe you can think of getting a gimble :)

Thanks. I have looked at them, but they're expensive.

get one of these pistol grips, cost on amazon around £15. holding a camera with both hands in different directions is better than both hands the same way. I can hold my camcorder rock steady with one of these screwed into the camcorder base. you won't regret it believe me.

View attachment 365540

View attachment 365545

This is one of the best bits of kit for your camera bag and so often overlooked. Believe me you won't regret it.

Thanks. I did wonder ages ago if I would be able to hold the camera steadier if I could hold it that way, but I didn't know these existed!

price £8. I just used a bit of ribbed rubber and cut to size something like this. Just punch a hole in it for the pistol grip thread to go through

can get from

seein row 2 or 3 for 4.5mm or the 6mm thickness one

P1051169.JPG

price won't exactly break your bank ;). works for me anyway

Last edited:
there are some that have a trigger built in the grip depending on your camera make, but only posted that one to keep costs down to minimum

Last edited:
there are some that have a trigger built in the grip depending on your camera make, but only posted that one to keep costs down to minimum

Thanks. Low cost, but does the job well is always a plus. I'm tempted by a trigger one, but that's just likely to cause movement so a basic one and using the timer is probably a better option lol.

Just thought I would add a quick update.

I went away for a week and took a lot of photos. I switched autofocus to the back button and that has certainly helped a lot. I was able to use faster shutter speeds as well as the sun was shining quite a bit.

I have some out of focus shots where my autofocus clearly decided it was on holiday and couldn't be bothered focus, but I do have pretty sharp photos too (without using a tripod or monopod). If I can spend more time getting autofocus to focus properly and just continue learning about my camera/photography, I'm sure I'll keep improving and get even better photos.

Thanks to all who have replied :)

Back