Tips for music / drama performance (low light)

Edit My Images
No
Hi, please be kind - I know a fair amount about stills photography but next to nothing about videography. Yesterday I went to a school drama performance and tried to film parts of it. I had my OMD1 iii and the 12-100 f4 pro lens. I tried the longer reach of the 75-300 f4.8-6.7 but that didn’t work at all so I quickly switched back to the 12-100. I’m going back to another performance on Friday so have a chance to improve! I would be grateful for any tips and tricks that you may have that would help.

For example a quick google search last night revealed that it’s better not to go too high on the ISO and instead turn down the exposure compensation (apparently avoids blown out faces where the actors are in the lights against the black background). Anything like this that I wouldn’t have thought of I’d be so grateful to know!

I’m also not averse to (potentially) buying a faster long reach Zoom but only if that would be really worth it (bearing in mind that that the 75-300 I have is no good for this scenario and I’d be limited to the 12-100).

Thank you in advance!

Setting the exposure for video is basically the same as for taking still photos, except normally you determine your shutter speed based on the number of video frames you are taking per second. Very common is 30 frames per second and shutter speed of 1/60th second. It’s possible your other lens did not work if the shutter was too fast.

Back