Scotland Tips for shooting at the Edinburgh Tattoo

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Im off to the above next week, and i know camera's are allowed, but to what extent.
Im just going as a member of the public but i want to take some decent camera gear.

Anyone done this before and can offer any tips as to what lenses etc will be needed. My longest lens is my Canon 70-300L. I could take my Canon 5D4 or M50. More reach over better low light quality.

Thanks for any tips.

Have a look at the start times https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets/performance-dates-and-times.
Its basically dark at the start and getting darker as the performance proceeds, have a look on Youtube and you will see flashes going off all the time ,to no avail as they are not powerful enough to light the arena.
Getting out is chaos so you won't want a big camera and lens to lug around.
If you want to take a camera and personally I would not bother ( I took a Canon 7D/24-105 ) when I went and got nothing) take your M50 and the fastest lens you have.
Just sit back and enjoy the performance, take a cushion, the seats are hard, and a raincoat and hat.

Thanks.
Ive seen the website and those details, im just hoping for more real world experience. The fact that they only mention fairly low ISO makes me wonder just how useful that is. Having shot a few events like this in the past i felt there was a lot of light on the performers themselves, and enough to not need really fast glass a lot of the time. I know what you mean about flash, that makes me laugh when i see that happening.

When you say you got nothing can you elaborate? Too far away, too dark etc.

We are in Scotland all week so ill have my gear with me anyway, but i have a feeling your right about the M50.

Basically too far away and too dark.
If I had taken my 580 flash and bumped up the ISO I might have got something, but after about half an hour it was pitch dark apart from the flood lights
I did manage once to get some pix of my daughter in laws graduation indoor in half decent light from about 80 feet away with a 70-200 f4 wide open using max iso on a 7d and a 580ex flash with flash power at max .
Try it and see you don't have anything to loose.
Whatever its a fantastic spectacle far better than when you see it on TV, enjoy yourself and have a good holiday

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Im confident in shooting at very low shutter speeds with my 70-300L, as thats only f/5.6. I know that wont freeze movement but im only there for the experience. As you say, nothing to lose.
With the 5D4 i can bump up to ISO6400 without issues, with the M50 i have more reach but lower usable ISO. Tough one. I am more tempted to take the 5D4 now, especially as its weather proof. Gotta love the Scottish weather eh lol.

Go for it and have fun-ISO 6400 was a pipe dream on my 7D.

Chris

They are very nice, the rifle drill would look even better at a slower shutter speed ( if poss) so you got more motion blur on the rifles,particularly when they throw then to each other.

Cheers. Yeah, i had thought of that but to be honest it was all a bit rushed. I had to find a fine balance between hand holding and keeping ISO as low as I could. I was also shooting to my side from the seat so any lower and I’m sure the soldiers would also be blurred.

That's why I said if poss, its all to easy to say you should have done that, but the critic was not there.
My one and only foray into camera clubs was a shot of weed covered lock gates on a canal, the comment was it would have been a lot better if you had been further over to the right-further over to the right was a 15ft drop into 20feet of water!

Back