Tips on Macro Flash?

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
I've now got a macro lens and it is something I've never done before.

Any tips on lighting at all? I have a pair of 550EX flashguns I can use...

Do I need to make/get diffusers or anything like that?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

I've just picked up a second 550 to use in the way you're maybe aiming...or looking to aim. I use an MT-24 for short working distances but find them a little too close when using the 180 at 50cm or more. I've picked up a Manfrotto 330B dual flash bracket to mount them on and this separates them nicely.
As far as diffusers go....I've got Stofens for each one and find that a bit of kitchen roll paper stuff inside adds a little more softness. I'm not sure what you're trigger will be but I've got an ST-E2 to remove the chance of getting cables tangled in the twigs.

I'll pass on anything I learn when I have had a chance to become better aquainted with the setup.

Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob. I have an ST-E2, so that sounds perfect. The Manfrotto bracket looks good. I'm hoping to have a play tomorrow if the weather is good and then will work out if I think the bracket will help.

I'll be using a Sigma 150 so probably a similar experience to your 180

I think some form of diffuser is essential for flash macro shots Paul. I used this setup for a while - 580EX and Lightsphere with the 180 macro.

4336_1763906693462e2380dca34.jpg

I now have the MT24, which is a great bit of kit, if not a little harsh. I've just added 2 mini Stofen diffusers to the MT 24, but have yet to use them in anger

I now have the MT24, which is a great bit of kit, if not a little harsh. I've just added 2 mini Stofen diffusers to the MT 24, but have yet to use them in anger

CT.....I have the mini-Stofen's on my MT-24 but still find it can be a little too artificial....especially when there's no real natural light and the power's turned up. Putting some Andrex in behind them does help.

With the longer WD of the 180, I find that the Twin-light is more like a ring flash and all the light is on the front of the subject. Moving the heads out onto an external bracket helps to light up the head and arse rather than just an illuminated profile. I had a 550 and picked up another at a reasonable price to see if bigger flash heads at lower power would improve the appearance...the focus assist lamps aren't really an issue at longer distances.

Bob

As far as diffusers go....I've got Stofens for each one and find that a bit of kitchen roll paper stuff inside adds a little more softness. I'm not sure what you're trigger will be but I've got an ST-E2 to remove the chance of getting cables tangled in the twigs.

Bob

Hi Bob
Sorry to drag this old thread up, there have been reports of the kitchen roll behind the stofens making the flash get too hot and burning the flash out so might pay to be a bit carefull with it.

Back