Edit My Images
Yes
4336_9462852854b06ca23038b1.jpg

4336_15238793584b06ca207a96c.jpg

4336_8210534374b06ca1d8e1e8.jpg

7D 700mm 1600 ISO

beautiful collection
colours are perfect & dof to die for

Damn I thought this was a link to Jordan in "I'm a celebrity" but have to admit CT i'd rather look at these tits than hers these are real and really good razor sharp too.

Lovely captures and poses :) Are they looking a tad too sharp Cedric?

Really like the first two CT, and heres me thinking i was improving then you post these :LOL:. Is it just me or is the blue tit a bit soft around the eye :thinking:

I have not been a fan of the 7D but Cedric you are beging to change/educate my mind a little to the positive side of the camera.

Nice and clean images.

Lovely captures and poses :) Are they looking a tad too sharp Cedric?

I don't think so. They're not massive crops, and the 7D does retain a lot of fine detail which can make sharpening a tricky judgement sometimes, but I reckon these are OK.

Last edited:
Really like the first two CT, and heres me thinking i was improving then you post these :LOL:. Is it just me or is the blue tit a bit soft around the eye :thinking:
Actually I reckon it is just a smidge soft.

I cant fault these CT, good detail and BG. At 1600 ISO its hard to detect any noise, have you used any NR on these or is the 7D this good. Also, at 700mm, is that the 500mm with your 1.4 TC, if so, did you have to focus manually or does the AF work with the TC.
Either way, I like these shots very much, just spot on :clap:

Awesome shots CT - I am interested in what PP you do as a rule as this is something I am really struggling with the 7D. My 50D workflow just doesn't seem to be giving the same results now.

Hi CT,

Thanks for your advice the other day on my oof birds, you have taken a great set there, such detail, cracking well (y)done

I cant fault these CT, good detail and BG. At 1600 ISO its hard to detect any noise, have you used any NR on these or is the 7D this good. Also, at 700mm, is that the 500mm with your 1.4 TC, if so, did you have to focus manually or does the AF work with the TC.
Either way, I like these shots very much, just spot on :clap:
Noi NR at all on 2 and 3 Trev. No1 has had NR just on the bg for the simple reason I under-exposd it a little which adds to the noise. The 7d is pretty much this good (for noise) as long as you don't have to crop too much and these were moderate crops.

Yes- 700mm is the 500mm f4L plus the 1.4XTC and AF is retained. AF isn't retained though with the 2X TC... that's a 1 Series function only.

Thanks for the comments mate. :)

Awesome shots CT - I am interested in what PP you do as a rule as this is something I am really struggling with the 7D. My 50D workflow just doesn't seem to be giving the same results now.

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting on with the 7D Sara.

I actually do very little PP mostly. I export to Paint Shop Pro as a TIFF from RAW (DPP). None of these had any adjustment of the RAW image. In PSP, I usually just resize, slightly adjust levels where necessary and sharpen, finally saving as a jpeg.

I'm mystified as to why you're having probs Sara as you're far from a beginner at this and were turning in good stuff with the 50D so I don't see why you shouldn't be doing the same with the 7D.

I'm happy to help in any way I can, but short of the problem being camera settings, which I doubt, I can only think you're perhaps not using DPP, but some other package for your RAW editing?

what a cracking set (y)

I can see the noise in the first one on the tree on the left hand side but like you said if you underexposed to much thats why but the other two look impressive in the background for the noise I don t think I could get away without using noise removal in the background with the 50D at that ISO so thats seems a good thing I am still a bit apprehensive about the 7D though as some still seem to be having problems like swag72 so I am still very unsure I think the birds look good but they did anyway CT when you used the 50D is there a chance you could take the same shot using the 50D then the 7D using high ISO so we can see the difference better that is when you are feeling better and your cold as cleared up would be much appreciated

I can see the noise in the first one on the tree on the left hand side but like you said if you underexposed to much thats why but the other two look impressive in the background for the noise I don t think I could get away without using noise removal in the background with the 50D at that ISO so thats seems a good thing I am still a bit apprehensive about the 7D though as some still seem to be having problems like swag72 so I am still very unsure I think the birds look good but they did anyway CT when you used the 50D is there a chance you could take the same shot using the 50D then the 7D using high ISO so we can see the difference better that is when you are feeling better and your cold as cleared up would be much appreciated

I'll try and do the comparison shots Kaz, but truthfully, I don't think the big gain is in reduced noise. The noise is definitely slightly less, but more than that -it's finer and looks different - more like film grain in it's appearance and less objectionable.

The upgrade choice is a difficult one for anyone who owns a 50D already. I'd say for anyone who needs longer glass then that should be a priority over the 7D. The 7D gives a slightly larger 1:1 image but nothing like so large as the 50% increase in pixels from the 40D to the 50D, so the longer glass would probably be money better spent.

In your case I know you have the glass already so - why should you upgrade?

The 7D is IMHO the best camera Canon have produced in years. It's not a re-hash of an existing model, it's a completely new design and it shows in every way. The way it's set up is well thought out and the handling is great. The new AF system is blistering fast. I've noticed a big increase in keeper shots - it even nails a lot of those shots where the bird moves it's head at the last moment, so the servo system is certainly faster and reacting quicker.

I spent some time in pretty grey light tracking seagulls around the sky and once locked on it maintains focus really well. I'm sure any failures would be more down to me than Canon. I've owned a 1DMK2 n and I'd take a lot of convincing that tthe 1 Series AF is any better.

Itr's lots of improvements that make the 7D what it is, some are major and some minor but the complete package adds up to a lovely birder's camera.

If you do it I'd say get the battery grip too which feels better and the camera balances better too on a gimbal, especially with the 500mm f4L

Have a look through this huge thread on POTN....

CLICKY

Lots of 7D pics by people of different abilities, but the overall quality of the images is pretty impressive I reckon.

Last edited:
I'll try and do the comparison shots Kaz, but truthfully, I don't think the big gain is in reduced noise. The noise is definitely slightly less, but more than that -it's finer and looks different - more like film grain in it's appearance and less objectionable.

The upgrade choice is a difficult one for anyone who owns a 50D already. I'd say for anyone who needs longer glass then that should be a priority over the 7D. The 7D gives a slightly larger 1:1 image but nothing like so large as the 50% increase in pixels from the 40D to the 50D, so the longer glass would probably be money better spent.

In your case I know you have the glass already so - why should you upgrade?

The 7D is IMHO the best camera Canon have produced in years. It's not a re-hash of an existing model, it's a completely new design and it shows in every way. The way it's set up is well thought out and the handling is great. The new AF system is blistering fast. I've noticed a big increase in keeper shots - it even nails a lot of those shots where the bird moves it's head at the last moment, so the servo system is certainly faster and reacting quicker.

I spent some time in pretty grey light tracking seagulls around the sky and once locked on it maintains focus really well. I'm sure any failures would be more down to me than Canon. I've owned a 1DMK2 n and I'd take a lot of convincing that tthe 1 Series AF is any better.

Itr's lots of improvements that make the 7D what it is, some are major and some minor but the complete package adds up to a lovely birder's camera.

If you do it I'd say get the battery grip too which feels better and the camera balances better too on a gimbal, especially with the 500mm f4L

Have a look through this huge thread on POTN....

CLICKY

Lots of 7D pics by people of different abilities, but the overall quality of the images is pretty impressive I reckon.

thanks for that CT its interestering about the more keeper shots when the bird moves its head and I have read about how good it is tracking so I am getting tempted Paul has taken a huge interest now so I could get rid of the 40D keep the 50D if I decide to go for it is it a different battery not that it really matters I suppose would just have to buy a spare

Thanks Ct

The batteries are damned expensive but they're chipped so that they can be recognized by the camera. If you get the battery grip the camera monitors the state of each battery and the number of shots taken on each battery, so when youre taking shots the power seems to alternate from one battery to the other for each shot. Yes it is a different battery btw - completely different to your 40D/50D ones

If you buy the cheapo 3rd party batteries, the 7D charger wont charge them so you'll need to get a charger for them as well.

Last edited:
Great set cedric, #1 is a stunner (y)

Back