To 645 or not to...

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone

I have recently developed a big urge to shoot film and specifically MF...

Anyone on here who can assist with some experience on the hardware side? Been watching Fleebay and saw some nice Contax and Mamiya gear up for grabs...

Rather partial towards the Contax from what I read on the Luminous Landscape but not going for it for the sake of a digital back.

Purely for film pleasure.

All inputs appreciated!(y)

Well I think you need a sort of poll for answers as we all have our favourites...the 645 for me is the Bronica Etrs......but I have to admit I haven't owned another 645 camera only 6X6s and 6X7.

Mmmmhhhh, poll you say...will see if I can do that...

TBH, I must admit to be biased in favour of the Contax 645 but I am concerned as to how long parts will be available...Kyocera undertook 10 years...that ends April 2015 or so.

Hasselblad is too rich for my blood and a third party digital back is also a stretch not likely within the next 2-3 years...

I must confess, I've never chosen a camera based on whether parts are still manufactured for it or not.
Availability of parts is the reserve of popular systems, I'm not sure you can count Contax 645 among those, I mean generally, if the thing breaks its usually very expensive to repair regardless of parts availability.

I would like to believe that there are more than enough of them around to cannibalize at a later stage...at a nominal fee, of course...

Might work out expensive but for the joy I am sure I will get out of it...and IF a nice digital back falls in my lap...

If the guy on LL is to be believed the Contax CZ T* lenses are about as good as it gets... notably the 210/4, the 120/4 macro and the 80/2...will investigate wides later...MUCH later...

Last edited:
I would think if your gonna go 645....:puke:......ETR's or Mamiya would be a better choice as far as parts/body's/availability/cost is concerned.

:)

.......and if its Zeiss that moves you, stuff 645 and Contax, buy a Bladd go 6x6 and do MF properly..:p

.......and if its Zeiss that moves you, stuff 645 and Contax, buy a Bladd go 6x6 and do MF properly..:p

So, are you offering to buy then??:naughty:(y)

Did a bit of reading and 67 looks better and better by the minute...

Back