To all who process slide film.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been having problems with red blotches on my Kodak E100 5x4 film sheets.
I had suspected the MOD 54 film holder was absorbing chemicals that would not wash out.
Having read some technical documents from Jobo and Paterson they advise using the final stabilser in a separate container outside the tank.
By all accounts the plastics will absorb the surfectant and washing with water will not cure the problem.
I think this is most likely what I am seeing as the MOD 54 is made of nylon which sucks in water and fluids like a sponge.

Last edited:
Another snipped from a formal document.

The stabilizer bath improves the durability of the colour pigments and, in addition, contains a wetting agent to safeguard faster and better drying. Since the films will not be rinsed again after stabilizing, this process must never be done in the processor.
Remaining stabilizer bath residues would have a negative impact on the first developer during the next process run.

Going to keep an eye on this as I have a box and a half of E100 in the fridge that I need to shoot soon. I would like to process myself as I have the equipment. I have just been gifted a 5x4 holder/tank for the Jobo.....both of which I have never used.

Going to keep an eye on this as I have a box and a half of E100 in the fridge that I need to shoot soon. I would like to process myself as I have the equipment. I have just been gifted a 5x4 holder/tank for the Jobo.....both of which I have never used.
Well I think it's for the best to use stabilizer in a different container.
It's a daylight operation so you don't need the tank anyway.

Do you have a 5x4 camera?

Well I think it's for the best to use stabilizer in a different container.
It's a daylight operation so you don't need the tank anyway.

Do you have a 5x4 camera?

Yep, been using it not as much as I like/should, sadly but aiming to do more over winter. Have HP5, FP4, E100 and a little Portra 160 in the fridge.

Back