To battery or not to battery

Edit My Images
Yes
Hmmm, I have a nice wedge of clams sitting here that I intend to spend on a studio strobe set up.

Basically I am on the horns of a dilemma, do I stick with a tried and tested two head softbox setup or do I go for a one head with battery for field work.

My choices are either the Lastolite lumen8 400w twin head pack with softboxes or the Calumet Genesis 300B with the add on battery pack.

Up to now the portrait work I have done has been exclusively indoors but there is some call for me to do some outdoor stuff. I have a speelite 430 EXII and, if I get the Lastolite setup for indoor work would get a softbox that can take a hotshoe flash. Would this work outdoors!

Help me spend my money!

The mobile pack is more versatile indoors and out, biggest question is do you need 2 lights?

I have a couple of Calumet Genesis 300B units plus one battery unit (will probably get another). They are great value very well made & being able to use on location for only an extra £150 is a real bonus.

Battery powered lights often have no modelling lights or modelling lights that only stay on for 30 seconds if that's important to you (for studio work).

I was given one of those Calumet monoblocs to test and I got the strong impression it wouldn't stand up to hard use out in the field. Personally, I would buy second-hand Elinchrom or Bowens (eBay) and you'll have better built, longer lasting and more versatile kit. All IMHO of course :)

Mine has stood up very well in professional usage. Still working perfectly after two years or so. Love the fact that it's AC/DC - most location stuff is battery only.

Location elinchrom/bowens doesn't really compare as it is in a different league price wise. And I do have a Ranger as well.

If the OP has any questions about the 300b, let me know....

Back