To boldly go..

S

Steve

To boldly go….

You may know Leonard Nimoy in front of the camera as the pointy-eared Vulcan, Spock, in the sci-fi television series 'Star Trek.' But since his teenage years, Leonard Nimoy, has had a passion for being behind the camera. "Generally, the response I get is, `Oh, really,' " Leonard Nimoy told The New York Times. "I became an amateur photographer before I went into acting. Now, 80 percent of my creative energy goes into making images."

Nimoy published a collection of 55 haunting images he took that explore the meaning of Shekhina, a Jewish concept of the feminine aspect of God. In the introduction to “Shekhina: Photographs by Leonard Nimoy”, his first published book of photography, Nimoy explains how this mysterious concept has influenced him: "This work is my quest for insight, the exploration of my own spirituality, and, as such, has been a deeply moving and expanding process.''

Learn more about Nimoy's photography..

www.leonardnimoyphotography.com

It’s amazing what you find while searching the internet. Have anyone else got any strange but interesting links to people that are into photography whom we might not expect to be??

wow some of that stuff is really good...who wants to mail him to ask him to join...

The large ladies pictures are a bit of an eye opener :shock: :shock:

mal said:
The large ladies pictures are a bit of an eye opener :shock: :shock:

that could scar some people.... :shock:

So could the ladies if they ever heard that :p

I found the pictures quite interesting actually, and it certainly made me think. They're not the normal hourglass, plasticy fake bodies that one would expect to see photographed. It show's theyre real women, real people, with nothing to hide.

Certainly makes me think about this 'fattist' nation, especially having been on the receiving end of it for so long.

(Not a dig at any comments, merely saying that those shots made me think).

To Boldly go is right seeing some of those pictures !!!!

Bod said:
So could the ladies if they ever heard that :p

I found the pictures quite interesting actually, and it certainly made me think. They're not the normal hourglass, plasticy fake bodies that one would expect to see photographed. It show's theyre real women, real people, with nothing to hide.

Certainly makes me think about this 'fattist' nation, especially having been on the receiving end of it for so long.

(Not a dig at any comments, merely saying that those shots made me think).

Your right, its not what you normally find(unless you know the right sites)so it is a bit of a shock, and its good that someone is taking piccies of people who are overweight...(rubs large belly)and not just the normal skinny babes we are used to seeing!

People are still people no matter what shape or size, as photographers and people who explore shapes, light, contrast and composition, everything offers us subject matter. How we choose to represent our ideas and visions are personal as are the way others view our work. Nimoy’s photography, although not what one might expect has provoked emotions and thoughts. In that simple way, he has already achieved so much. Is it what he intended, who knows?

Adrian said:
I suppose that as an actor, Nimoy is very creative so I suppose for him, photography is, er....logical.

indeed [smilie=t:

I think some of his stuff is very good, very well shot.

I couldnt find a contact for Mr Nimoy directly which is a shame, i was going to extend an invite to him.

EosD said:
Adrian said:
I suppose that as an actor, Nimoy is very creative so I suppose for him, photography is, er....logical.

indeed [smilie=t:

I think some of his stuff is very good, very well shot.

I couldnt find a contact for Mr Nimoy directly which is a shame, i was going to extend an invite to him.[/quote]
Do they have e-mail on Vulcan? :shock: :wink:

Steve said:
Nimoy’s photography, although not what one might expect has provoked emotions and thoughts. In that simple way, he has already achieved so much. Is it what he intended, who knows?

Here's a thought.
If intended, do you think it's right that a persons ailment is used to provoke thoughts or emotions (in this case, of disgust). I know that's now what you're saying, I'm putting a spin on things for the sake of discussion.

If Nimoy intended to provoke thought by using models that would make people go 'ewwww', then is that fair? Fair on the model? Is it morally right?
Did he intend to show that fat women are also beautiful?
Did he intend to show that we are all equal no matter what our weight?
Obviously the weight is a factor in him taking the shots. It's evidently not a case of just grabbing a few random women off the street.

So I wonder what his intention was? If, like I say it was to provoke a thought of "eeww" do you think this is right?

interesting thoughts there Bod...i very much doubt he will get it, but i sent him an invite to the forums...then he could answer your question!

Back