To format or not to format

Format is much quicker it seems so that's why I do it.

Formatting will prevent fragmentation and allow the camera to write to the card faster.

However, if you're deleting all the images so that the file allocation table is empty, then it doesn't matter whether you just delete them or format.

My usual practice is to copy the images to the computer then return the card to the camera and format there after I am sure that all images have copied fine.

I have had one occation where two files had somehow been corrupted on the pc but were fine on the card so I just moved them over again and everything was fine. If I had cut rather than copied I may have been in trouble.

I use downloader pro from BreezeSys, it downloads from and then deletes the images off the card all in one (because I set it up to do that). I can't think why you would want to reformat your card every time, seems like a lot of work for no good reason?

I open the folders up in Windows, and cut and paste the images over.
I then pop the card back in the camera, and *usually* format, although sometimes as part of my post shooting ritual, the battery may be on the charger, so I tend to do it as par for the course when the battery goes back in too. (As a double check before the beg gets zipped up...and it doesnt get zipped up until I've checked everything is ready for grabbing and going).

Steep said:
I can't think why you would want to reformat your card every time, seems like a lot of work for no good reason?

Sometimes if you dont reformat you end up with a whole host of empty folders on the card, and if nothing is done about them they can cause issues.

I always format the card in the camera after im sure they are off and safe on the pc ! :)

Always format.
Occasionally use Image Rescue to do a full 'wipe' then re-format just to make really sure

Back