To Mount or Matte?

Edit My Images
No
Hello! I have posted this in the Business section but I think its more relevant here;

I'm trying to decide how to sell my prints and theres literally hundreds of options which I don't think would look overly stylish on my website for potential customers. I'm selling fine art nature and macro prints, so far I've decided I'll sell images as prints only, and then as mounted prints. I wont sell frames at this point just to see how I start.

But I think I'm getting myself a bit confused between mounting and matting (sp?), could anyone explain whats meant by mount because I've been thinking its simply backing the print onto something like card in which case a logo and signature would still be visible, and matting is like a window mount to prepare for a frame which would cover the signaure and logo?

I take it photographers dont usually 'mount' (as in my definition) and when they offer mounts they're offering a window mount? On average anyway I understand everyone decides for themselves- I just don't want a website cluttered with lots of different options that will drive any potential custom away, wanted a simple set of options for them to choose....

Plus who uses Logos on their prints? Is it for more successful photographers on average and does it take off value if its classed as a fine art print?

As you can tell I'm so confused!

Charlotte

mounting is generally where a hole is cut to show the picture through it, this hole usually has beveled edges. this protects the print from damage.

one slight disaventage is that if you buy mounts you have to print to fit.

cutting your own is more time consuming.

Cheers Steve

Hi charlottemarie, I think you will find what we term as a mount
the americans call a mat. I use software to calculate aperature etc. and because it's usa based everthing is worded as a mat.

To explain what a standard mount means, it is a sandwich in three parts.
Front board has aperature cut out then the photo is mounted onto the rear board
So its, front board then photo then rear board

Last edited:
Back