To Photoshop or Not?

B

BrynBoru

This was taken by me several years ago in Havana. It was a quick street shot taken from a moving cab with a simple P&S.
Is the image ruined by having the umbrella in the background sticking up behind his head or should it be removed in PS? (I'm not a fan of using PS!)
I quite like it as it is, but others may think differently.

PGLOVER_2011_00155
by BrynBoru on Talk Photography

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think you would get very frustrated trying to do a good job of getting it out.
Why not select the guy in front , which should be easy, put him on a separate layer and blur the background and possibly drop the opacity so the guy stands out even more

It's quite a busy background whatever you do, I don't think the brolly is a major issue.
That's what I was thinking - you're fixating on the brolly, but the people would bother me more (particularly the one staring into camera).

As a snap, it's OK - to make it into a photo would require a huge amount of PP or a re-shoot.

you're fixating on the brolly, but the people would bother me more (particularly the one staring into camera).
Yes, you're right, I think I am fixating. However this was not intended as a portrait, but is more to do with what I felt as an example of the frenetic atmosphere of Havana street life. So I like both the man staring and the other walking guy for this reason. A re-shoot is a great suggestion! (But I might have some difficulty in recreating the shot.)
Thanks everyone for all the comments!

Back