To RB or not to RB: that is the question

nikki_s

Neither Shawn, Sheep, nor man.
Name
Nikki
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

@Woodsy has been talking for the last couple of days about selling his RB67 pro s and 645 super and buying a Pentax 67II

Several years ago, Woody made me promise to never ever ever let him sell the RB67...now he's trying to persuade me it's a good idea to sell it...so my question to you all is, should he sell it?

NO. I'll say that agin. NO. Well, not the RB. The RB is more flexible than the Pentax, but then I don't like eye level cameras. Think interchangeable backs, better flash sync (unless the 67II is better than the original). If he really must sell it, offer it to me first - then I can sell it back to him when he realises he's made a BIG mistake.

If Woodsy sells his, then I will have to come down to Soton and tell him how disappointed I am with him for letting the side down...

I can't help you Nikki, but this all sounds so familiar :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose it is a bit familiar. :naughty:

If he isnt using them and he really wants to try the Pentax then sell 'em. However, I know from bitter experience that it doesn't always work like that, think Voigtlander R3a :banghead:. Best to think on it for a couple of weeks, take the RB and the Fuji out and shoot some rolls, see if he still feels the same when he's had a look at the shots. (y)

If there's a chance it would be a big mistake in switching then it would be better to keep the RB until after the Pentax had been bought and tried out or if anyone has one they're willing to lend. Saves on finding out it's not what he wants.

If he gives you the RB then that will stop him selling it ;)

I've actually got my eye on the 645 :)...well actually both but the RB is rather heavy

Last edited:
Having said that, it's a common camera. Selling it to fund a fix of something else and not getting on with it isn't the end of the world. Good quality rb's are plentiful although you don't know if the one you get will be a good one.

I see, so he made you promise that you'd stop him selling it? The crafty fox... then it's your fault if you don't and things don't work out with the Pentax?! o_O I suggest you instruct him that he's not to sell it, and instead he's to work a bit harder until he can afford to buy the Pentax without selling the RB67! This must not of course affect your statutory rights in respect of nights out, Friday evening take-away meals, holidays, or the quality and value of your birthday and Christmas presents! Unless he agrees to write a 'promise waiver' and absolve you from any responsibility, and you reserve the right to say that you told him so if it goes pear shaped! How does that sound? ;)

Last edited:
I see, so he made you promise that you'd stop him selling it? The crafty fox... then it's your fault if you don't and things don't work out with the Pentax?! o_O I suggest you instruct him that he's not to sell it, and instead he's to work a bit harder until he can afford to buy the Pentax without selling the RB67! This must not of course affect your statutory rights in respect of nights out, Friday evening take-away meals, holidays, or the quality and value of your birthday and Christmas presents! Unless he agrees to write a 'promise waiver' and absolve you from any responsibility, and you reserve the right to say that you told him so if it goes pear shaped! How does that sound? ;)

I like your style! The only thing I'd add is my statutory right to borrow cameras [emoji3]

Many thanks for all the advice everyone :) @Woodsy is yet to make a decision but we've been debating throughout the evening - we shall see what the morning brings!

So the choice is, a massive heavy box or a massive heavy box..hmm..:/

I thought we were all going to buy Mam 6's, decluter, antilustify and live happily ever after

I don't think he should sell the RB, he just needs to get out and use it more. I like the Pentax 67 it has its own quirkiness and it gets a lot of attention when I use it because it is so ridiculous but it doesn't have the flexibility of the RB.

I don't have a 67 ii but I do have an earlier version which he is more than welcome to borrow.

Woody made me promise to never ever ever let him sell the RB67...now he's trying to persuade me it's a good idea to sell it...so my question to you all is, should he sell it?

Depends if you want to break your promise :p

I love my RB so I couldn't sell it. The results are great, it's easy to use, lenses are cheap, and it's totally bomb proof. The only down side is the weight!

Thanks @nikki_s for posting this up, I really am having trouble deciding what to do :/

Some answers to all your helpful points :)

The RB is more flexible than the Pentax, but then I don't like eye level cameras. Think interchangeable backs, better flash sync (unless the 67II is better than the original).

Eye level finders are fine for me, I don't mind them at all, with the exception of rangefinders. That however is a focusing thing which I just can't seem to get on with. Interchangeable backs are a solid point, and this is something I would miss, but flash sync is of no importance to me. I've never once used a flash to take a photograph unless it was on my D700 and it fired by accident.

The RB67 with back and lens weighs nearly 2.7 kg. The 67ii with 55mm lens and metered prism weighs about 2.4 kg(?) so it is lighter. Adding a metered prism to the RB would add an extra 880 g!

The 67ii also has built in shutters speeds down to 4 seconds which is very handy for me, whereas the RB only goes down to 1s. It also adds self timer on top of the standard cable release

I'm not really seeing it? :/

If Woodsy sells his, then I will have to come down to Soton and tell him how disappointed I am with him for letting the side down...

Hah, I would feel guilty, there's no doubt about it...

If he isn't using them and he really wants to try the Pentax then sell 'em. However, I know from bitter experience that it doesn't always work like that, think Voigtlander R3a :banghead:. Best to think on it for a couple of weeks, take the RB and the Fuji out and shoot some rolls, see if he still feels the same when he's had a look at the shots. (y)

Oh, totally. Think FM3a - which I desperately want back but now can't justify the money. [ @medwaygreen PPPPPLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSEEE don't sell it. I'll have it back one day! ]

I sold the Nikon to fund an LF lens which, to be fair, is the best one I own now, so it was a good decision overall. But yes, it still hurts!

If there's a chance it would be a big mistake in switching then it would be better to keep the RB until after the Pentax had been bought and tried out or if anyone has one they're willing to lend. Saves on finding out it's not what he wants.

This is the only real choice. Just a shame the pentax is so pricey to begin with :/ I've offered the RB67 to @nikki_s loads of times now! It's just too heavy is her reasoning, which is fair enough.

...although you don't know if the one you get will be a good one.

And this is exactly what never leaves the back of my mind, hence not selling it before buying/playing with a 67ii is the only real option.

So the choice is, a massive heavy box or a massive heavy box..hmm..:/

I thought we were all going to buy Mam 6's, decluter, antilustify and live happily ever after

"or a considerably less heavy, but still heavy box"

Also... price, rangefinder and ease of grads :/

Don't get my wrong, they are stunning and had I all the money to play with, I'd already have one. And a 7ii. And a GX617. And a 10x8.

I don't think he should sell the RB, he just needs to get out and use it more. /snip/ but it doesn't have the flexibility of the RB.

I don't have a 67 ii but I do have an earlier version which he is more than welcome to borrow.

Perhaps you're right on the former. How so on the latter?

Most kind of you chap. I'd very much like to have a play with the 67 when we next catch up :)

I love my RB so I couldn't sell it. The results are great, it's easy to use, lenses are cheap, and it's totally bomb proof. The only down side is the weight!

I love mine too, and it's not that I *want* to sell it... It's just that I'd need the money towards the 67ii. This is kind of the salient point really. That, and it seems the perfect camera for me doesn't exist. The closest thing I can think of as my perfect camera (outside of LF) is a Mamiya 7 SLR. Which, although fictitious, is light, small(ish), 6x7 format, metered, not a RF, very good lenses, TTL composition, ease of grad filters and relatively compact. Closest thing I can think of to that is the pentax 67.

Why can't I just be happy?!??!!?!?!??!!!1111onewon

That, and it seems the perfect camera for me doesn't exist.

Nor for anyone, it seems.

"If you are setting out to buy the "perfect camera", save your shoe leather. There is simply no such thing" (Denys Davis, The Dumpty Pocket Book of Photography, 1961).

You either accept compromises, or choose which camera to use based on the requirements of the job/task in hand. If I want something to hang on a wall (my rule of thumb as to my main aim with photography for fun) then I'll use LF unless I need speed of set up when I'll compromise print size and movements and go MF. If I need photos for a magazine article or internet use, I'll go a7rii. If I want to have my fun from "camera fondling" then I might well go Exakta :).

I had a niggling feeling I'd read about the 67 somewhere, and eventually found an article on Luminous Landscape (*) about putting together a Pentax 67 kit (and I think there's a follow-up on a field trip to White Sands). But there was another article where instead of a second 67 body, he bought a Pentax 645NII. This can apparently take the 67 lenses. He seems quite keen on it. So an approach might be sell the naughty M645, buy a P645NII and the 67 106mm lens, have a play and see whether you like the system, then buy the 67, check you still like it, sell the RB. Obviously, any move from Mamiya to Pentax is good! ;)

Dan Schneider also has a very positive review of the 67.

* take care, LuLa only allows you to read a couple of articles before demanding a subscription, but I suspect between the two of you you'll be able to see and save anything useful.

You either accept compromises, or choose which camera to use based on the requirements of the job/task in hand.

Or you could build the perfect one?....*runs away quickly

Or you could build the perfect one?....*runs away quickly

Feasible. Let's see:

Takes film up to 20x16 (just in case you get into contact printing/need something larger than 10x8.
Inflatable (so it packs down into a small space)
Takes film backs from 35mm film upwards.
Accepts digital backs and allows camera mounting to use them as backs.
Full range of movements (geared) front and rear.
Minimum triple extension bellows (looks like running to a few yards given the 20x16...)
Interchangeable bellows (for managability).
Weatherproof (including the bellows)

I feel a Kickstart campaign coming on :D

Realistically, pick the most suitable and take that with you - but have others at home for when they are the best choice.

One camera is not enough; nor is one type/size of camera. If it was, we wouldn't have so many camera makers.

:film:

I recall Victor Blackman (back in the 1960s in AP) quoting a saying to the effect that if Leitz had designed the human eye, it would be far better - but we'd still be waiting for the first production model. :D

As someone once said; "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"! So I imagine the 'perfect' camera would be a pretty strange looking animal! :LOL:

Well I am going to buck the trend here and say "Go for the Pentax"

I have not owned an RB67 but I did borrow RZ67 for about a month a few years ago.

Yes it is might fine camera, changeable backs, nice but did not use that feature. I did like the ability to rotate the back and they way that worked but for me I found that the best way to use it was always on the tripod, which at the time I found a limiting, however the fact it can rack out on bellow made it great for close ups but again it was not something I used alot. So I gave the camera back (Yes now I have a Hasselblad and use that all the time on a tripod hey ho)

After while I wanted 6x7 format and got a Pentax 67 MLU.

OK the Pentax 67II is a very much more upgraded beast with a grip, multi metering head and I think it has aperature priority as well.

So compared to the RZ67

Easier to carry (still weighs in a 5Lbs with lens)
Can be way easier to use hand held as it is a SLR on super steroids
Have use film of 100 ISO with no problem.
Mirror / Shutter slap is greatly over exaggerated.
The 105mm f2.4 lens is fantastic (its the only lens I have and use at the moment).
Lens range is comparable to the Mamiya system.
The image quaility is just as good as anything from the RZ.
I don't find not have interchangable backs an issue.
With the metering heads on the viewfinder is, I think 90%, (take the head off and it is 100%) so sometimes you might have a bit more room around the image than you think.

Up to you Woodsy :D

With the metering heads on the viewfinder is, I think 90%, (take the head off and it is 100%) so sometimes you might have a bit more room around the image than you think.

My understanding of the 90% is that although the viewfinder is stated to give a 90% coverage, it apparently means 90% vertically and 90% horizontally, meaning that only 81% of the image area is shown. Not having examined this camera, I can’t say whether the following is correct, but one reviewer said that
in the case of the vertical coverage 1/3 was lost from the top and the remaining 2/3 from the bottom of the screen. What the side coverage was went unreported.

But the Mamiya 67s also need the waist level finder to have the best viewfinder experience.
Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Back