A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
The Cam Cam...

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Now I can look the part when we go shooting arrows in the woods!

yeah I know. Buggers won't let me go back to work yet :(

Mind you, I have got them to let me do two half days a wekk starting end of April... not much but it's a start
woohoo.gif

Sort of, last May got hit quite hard with arthritis after a wrist injury, went downhill fast, fearsome meds, now disabled officailly but slowly we are getting on top of things - hence the struggle to get back to work.

Sort of, last May got hit quite hard with arthritis after a wrist injury, went downhill fast, fearsome meds, now disabled officailly but slowly we are getting on top of things - hence the struggle to get back to work.

Its all Arthur's excuse to take time out to play with his toys..:D

Jokes apart Arthur, hopefully things will get beck on track soon

Its all Arthur's excuse to take time out to play with his toys..:D

Sure seems that way... but can you tell I'm getting fed up now?

Do you know I quite like that camera in its camouflage get up.

What happens when you put it down in the woods though?

I'll have a wrist strap :p

Was going to do a lens as well but hardly seemd worth it!

that sounds like no fun, putting the time to good use on bringing back old cameras though ;)

Yeah - and last night Ujjwal threw another spanner in there that's got me thinking too!

CamCam gets a matching 24-70!

camcam.jpg

Veerryy nice :)

rather jealous infact... :p

No - you just got the Canon already!

:p which i've been using! Hoping to develop the roll next week :)

I've got a new toy as well...

As with most of my good stories, it started with a visit to the pub. Last Sunday, called at my local for a sharpener before sunday lunch. While standing at the bar, I got chatting to a bloke who had sen me taking shots at the soapbox derby on new years day. He asked if I'd got any pictures of him, and described the cart he was driving. I said I'd taken about 700 shots, but i'd have a look when I got home and see what I could do. He then proceeded to tell me about "this camera my dad left me, from back when people used film..." I told him some of us still do, and he asked me if i'd "have a look at it for him, see if it was any good, or if he should just bin it"

Cut a long story short, he brought the camera to the pub monday night, and I took a laptop with his shots on. After showing him the shots, quoting my price for prints, and showing him what the camera's go for on fleabay, we agreed on a straight swap - 4 x framed A4 prints and the same on a CD for the Camera and Lens (subject to it checking out okay when I run a film through it).

Well - i've had a couple of sessions with the camera, done a few test shots, and a few normal walkabout ones, and I feel pretty much sure it'll be fine when I soup the film tonight. Camera itself feels just like it came out of the factory, there's a wee bit of brassing around the areas that the straps can rub, and theres a tripod/monopod ring on the base. Not a trace of the infamous canon cough. He'd even gone out and bought a new battery for it. Brought it in the original box, with the original reciept from the camera shop in the nearby town. Dates agree with the date stamp in the camera/lens back, so i'm pretty happy its kosher!

I have to say i'm pretty well chuffed. I love how film cameras have come down in price, such that the ones you always wanted, but couldn't afford when they were new are now available for a few quid!

Nice - I was almost tempted by an AV-1 yesterday but... Mrs A would have gone spare. I had four or five cameras arrive today!

When he brought it out of the bag, I was initially a little disapointed, as he'd initially said it's "an A something or other" to which i'd replied "An AE-1?" - "Yeah, I think so..." At this point, I had a wave of nostalgia, as I had a AE-1 as my second SLR - bought it to replace the Praktica MTL-3, which I dropped from a Bivi-Ledge in the alps - they're tough, but a 900m drop was probably terminal. So - I needed another camera, quick, and bought the AE-1 whilst in france. Used it for pretty much everything until it was stolen from the back of my van, along with a very expensive Pace mountain bike.

So I had pretty much resolved to make him an offer, for what I thought was a AE-1. Then it came out of the bag, in a red and gold box with A-1 on the side. Part of me was disappointed, other half of me was thinking "woop-woop" Had a good look at it, and thought oh what the hell - if i'd have had the money back in the day, i'd have got the A-1 rather than the AE-1 :shrug:

Must have a look in the loft tonight, see if I've still got any FD lenses :thinking: I'm sure I had a 28mm somewhere :thinking:

***I was almost tempted by an AV-1 yesterday***

Basic but nice aperture priority camera...I've used mine a lot.

Only resisted since it would have meant *another* load of lenses!

Well - there's one bonus from Canon changing the mount and flange to film distance is that the FD lenses are pretty cheap. Found a empty box in the loft for the 28mm 2.8, but the lens was missing. Doesn't necessarily mean it was nicked with the original AE-1, of course, but it's not the end of the world if it was :)

Managed to get a roll through the A-1, mainly test shots and non-publishable quality, but there was the odd-one that came out okay.

On the upside, I think I'm getting the hang of the colour chemistry a bit more as well now. Picture is pretty much bob-on to the digital shot's i took for comparison.

Back