Todays Bug Hunt 17th Aug

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
One of the great things about macro is you don't have to travel very far, plus you never know what you might see....

Most of these today are new ones for me - I think...

2 For 1 - the back end of a greenbottle fly - I probably wouldn't have posted this except I spotted the other bug on the underside of the oak leaf...

2-for-1-5219.jpg

A small Green Shield Bug on a nettle leaf - less than a centimetre long... very well camouflaged...

green-shield-bug-5220.jpg

A Hoverfly.... this was sat on a leaf on the ground - I almost stepped on it...

hoverfly-5229.jpg

A Mystery one, flies/hoverflies don't usually have these long antenna, so assuming it's some sort of wasp, again on a nettle leaf... and very small..

mystery-bug-5230.jpg

A Hairy caterpillar, which was wandering along a footpath, such gently nudged it onto a tissue and put it somewhere it wouldn't get stepped on. I didn't use my fingers as I know some of these hairy caterpillars can fire off those spines to deter predators...

hairy-caterpillar-5231.jpg

Three for the price of One. The hoverfly on this thistle was also something new... I hadn't noticed the green bug on the right or even the teeny tiny titchy bug in the centre...

3-for-one-5232.jpg

In case you still can't see the 3rd bug, this is a 1:1 crop... look to the centre, roughly 1/4 from the bottom of the image and you can just see the back end and a pair of legs...

titchy-bug-5232.jpg

Canon 800D, Canon EF 100mm Macro, Canon EP25 Tube + ring flash. Manual Settings: f11, 1/200th, iso100

Last edited:
They look good viewing on my phone.
The mystery is a fly not a wasp or sawfly. The eye shape and moth parts are wrong for hymenoptera
Possibly a snail killer.

Last edited:
Back