Todays photos from my new camera.

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
My new camera arrived today. I bought it to use when trekking up mountains and wanted something light to carry, my D80 is just too heavy. It's a Panasonic FX500 compact with shutter and aperture priority,unfortunately no RAW but you can't have everything. I considered the Lumix LX3 and the G10 but they were too bulky. These are some pictures I have taken with it today. The weather was really dull and the pictures are as come out of camera, except for sizing for forum. I have included shooting info but remember that aperture is for a compact with range f2.8 to f8. I am going to do some work on them after but just put them on to see what everyone thought of the picture quality.
3068697320_73f2efbf79_o.jpg

3068697556_5dca8b3115_o.jpg

3068698218_6b8a108a25_o.jpg

3067862985_c428d06306_o.jpg

3067862475_d3687793e8_o.jpg

3067863193_ed30bccae6_o.jpg

Comments appreciated please.

Last edited:
Looks like you'll get some good shots with it if these are anything to go by.

#4 and #5 of this set are crackers (y)

Neil

I think if i'd been in the market for a compact, RAW would be the main priority. Having said that, the shots look fine to me - so if displaying at web size is all you need then it seems to suit nicely.

I have a Panasonic, and one of the things that shows in all of their models that incorperates it, is the IQ the Leica lens gives.

Looks like you've found a nice little camera.

I think if i'd been in the market for a compact, RAW would be the main priority. Having said that, the shots look fine to me - so if displaying at web size is all you need then it seems to suit nicely.

Thank you for looking Lee. I was quite impressed with the quality when I printed out at 15" x 11". This is out it turned out at that resolution, (just showing a crop though) It still seemed quite clear to me and with good enough definition for a print. Not sure how good it would be printed out at A3 though, but that doesn't matter as I don't have an A3 printer.

Rocks_crop_pic_15ins_x_11ins.jpg

Great photos, never seen the place so empty.
Thanks Paul. It's always like that in the winter, but you're better off coming in the summer because it was soooooooooo cooooooooooold today.

I have a Panasonic, and one of the things that shows in all of their models that incorperates it, is the IQ the Leica lens gives.

Looks like you've found a nice little camera.

Thanks toonamp. I'm really pleased with it, I was a little dubious when I read the reviews about noise problems at 400+, but I've set it so that it doesn't max above that. Any real low light stuff I will use my D80.

Some nice shots there HWG.......and very good quality for a compact too (y)

Thanks toonamp. I'm really pleased with it, I was a little dubious when I read the reviews about noise problems at 400+, but I've set it so that it doesn't max above that. Any real low light stuff I will use my D80.

That was the only real problem I've found, and one of the reasons I bought my first DSLR.
It wasn't as easy as that though :)

Number 5 or me. And it looks as though you've gotten a good companion to your D80!

That was the only real problem I've found, and one of the reasons I bought my first DSLR.
It wasn't as easy as that though :)

I love my DSLR but it's far too heavy to carry up mountains when you're trying to run along with the fit club. I think this camera will do nicely so that I don't miss some of those great mountain shots.

Some nice shots there HWG.......and very good quality for a compact too (y)
Thanks Gadgetman. I shall try to get some better shots now I know how the thing works. I thought the touch screen would just be a gadget and it initially put me off, but in practice it works very well.

#4 for me. You've got some great images from the camera. I think that keeping the ISO low is the key to these Panasonics - the same applies to my FZ18. Well done on your first attempts.

Nice series of 1st shots, the panasonics are definitely excellent cameras in "good lighting" and if you don't print at large sizes you'll be hard pushed to notice a major difference over your DSLR...

Must admit I considered a similar option too when out in the mountains but I print many of my shots at 18x12 inch+ & there's definitely a noticeable difference in IQ at those sizes, I also enjoy using a Sigma 10-20 & compacts can't achieve a decent enough wide angle for me.

In the end I bought a new rucksac, Osprey Atmos, brilliant piece of kit so much so that it now feels like I'm not carrying the DSLR anyway !!

Look forward to seeing more from your Panny

Simon

Last edited:
#4 for me. You've got some great images from the camera. I think that keeping the ISO low is the key to these Panasonics - the same applies to my FZ18. Well done on your first attempts.
Thanks Russell. I think the same problem occurs with all compacts, but sometimes you just have to compromise to get the shots. I shall use my D80 for when I'm out and about in the car, or local and definitely for macro as I just love my Sigma 105 macro, and nothing compares to it, up those mountains though it will definitely be my panny.

Nice series of 1st shots, the panasonics are definitely excellent cameras in "good lighting" and if you don't print at large sizes you'll be hard pushed to notice a major difference over your DSLR...

Must admit I considered a similar option too when out in the mountains but I print many of my shots at 18x12 inch+ & there's definitely a noticeable difference in IQ at those sizes, I also enjoy using a Sigma 10-20 & compacts can't achieve a decent enough wide angle for me.

In the end I bought a new rucksac, Osprey Atmos, brilliant piece of kit so much so that it now feels like I'm not carrying the DSLR anyway !!

Look forward to seeing more from your Panny

Simon

Thanks Simon. I mainly print out at A4 size as I don't own an A3 printer and they seem to be acceptable at this size. I also love using my Sigma 10-20 but nobody would wait long enough for me when staggering up the mountain under the load :bang: I bought myself an ultra lightweight Vaude sack to replace my Deuter, but found that the only way I can really lighten the load would be to smuggle my gear into someone elses sack.:D

Back