Critique Todmorden - Stoodley pike from sunrise

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
We went "home" back to Todmorden last weekend to see family. I took my gear and did what I've wanted to do for some time, an early morning shoot on the moors around the pike.

Afterwards I realised that, despite looking at TPE for sunrise and location, and haven't been to the pike for a long time, I really hadn't thought about my composition or what shots I specifically wanted to get, so found myself scrambling a bit as the sun came up.

I was probably 15-30 min too late to get some nice shots with the last stars, although that would have required a 0330 wakeup, rather than 4am, and I don't do anything with a 3 in the hour!

It's the longer shots from further away that I personally like most and wish I'd actually positioned myself here as the light came up.

It's definitely in my plan to go back and do this again in the winter on our next trip home. I think this will look cracking with snow / frost. Star trails and light painting are also in mind.

Anyway, constructive C&C welcome and welcome any views on how to improve this shoot.

Thanks

Alan

1 - 5am
stoodley pike - pre dawn by crossland_alan, on Flickr

upright by crossland_alan, on Flickr

the view from beneath by crossland_alan, on Flickr

breaking the horizon by crossland_alan, on Flickr

big sky by crossland_alan, on Flickr

passing clouds by crossland_alan, on Flickr

windy day by crossland_alan, on Flickr

sun's up by crossland_alan, on Flickr

Thanks all for the comments.

7 is probably my own favourite too.

Nice images of a place that is very special to me. if I had to choose favourites, they would be 4 and 7.
It's a difficult subject to photograph from any angle.
I agree Philip, it's a surprisingly difficult location, the pike either seems to get lost in the landscape or if you move too close it overly dominates the image. Finding the balance is quite tricky.

Back