Togging cycling - ToB

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
after some advice for shooting the tour of britain that comes through my town this week. I'm just a hobbyist so just looking for some nice shots. What advice can you offer? I've never shot anything like this before.

I'll be shooting a gripped(8fps) D300 with probably a 70-300VR on a monopod. Was planning on basically finding a section where I can take some pics at the long end, down a straight for eg, then some at the short end maybe on a corner as they'll pass pretty quickly. Obviously shutter speed will need to be reasonably high, anything else?

cheers

When they're in the distance, you your 300mm end and get some nice shots with as little depth of field as possible to isolate riders, but when they're closer I'd ditch the telephoto and go wide.. make the most of any scenery around :)

When they're in the distance, you your 300mm end and get some nice shots with as little depth of field as possible to isolate riders, but when they're closer I'd ditch the telephoto and go wide.. make the most of any scenery around :)

So your saying use the long lens for long shots and the short lens for short shots?

Sorry... my SOH takes over sometimes :)

Have a look in http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 at some of the shots from the same event up north ...

Be prepared is my best advice, they dont take long to pass you...especially if you are near the start and they are all still together in a pack. Head for a climb if you can, to get them moving slower.

this is essex, climbs are something we only hear about.

Thanks guys. Just checked out the route etc and there should be some slower points in the area at sharp bends/twisty bits.

So your saying use the long lens for long shots and the short lens for short shots?

Sorry... my SOH takes over sometimes :)

Have a look in http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 at some of the shots from the same event up north ...

:LOL: No, I mean forget extreme close ups of riders.. incredibly hard to obtain and maintain focus.. and you'll only get a couple in the time it takes the bikes to pass.. if any :)

Back