Toilet advice needed - siphon vs valve, lever vs button

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
So we're refitting our downstairs toilet and trying to decide what kind of toilet technology to install.

We live in a hard water area, and we have a water meter, so I have a strong preference for a traditional siphon flush mechanism. My understanding is that valve flush mechanisms have a tendency to get stuck slightly open, especially if they get a bit of limescale in them, and the amount of water (and money!) which you can end up wasting is absolutely horrendous.

On the other hand, we're not getting any younger, and arthritis in the hands and wrists means that the traditional flush lever can be quite awkward to use. I'd prefer to have some sort of push button mechanism, and then I could fit large soft touch buttons to make it very easy to operate.

But the trouble is, it seems that siphon flushes only have levers, and push buttons only operate valve flushes.

Am I missing something?

Valve flush is better, I fit them all the time. You also have the option of half flushes.
Removal is very easy- just twist and lift and you can get to the washer for cleaning/ replacement.

Just make sure there is an isolator fitted to the inlet.

You can easily tell if a flush valve needs a replacement washer as you'll see the water running into the bowl.

Get a good quality 2 part flush valve that can be removed with the cistern in place.

Valve flush is better, I fit them all the time. You also have the option of half flushes.
Removal is very easy- just twist and lift and you can get to the washer for cleaning/ replacement.

Just make sure there is an isolator fitted to the inlet.
Better in what way? You can get siphons with the option of half flushes too, surely?

I probably should have mentioned that this is a concealed cistern unit, so access for maintenance won't be easy. I don't want something that requires periodic cleaning or replacement of parts.

Plus ... the leakage aspect really bothers me. A siphon flush just doesn't leak. A valve can leak, but the trouble is that leaks of less than about 2.5 litres per hour are not going to be noticed, and 2.5 litres per hour is about £75 per year!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that looks like the solution to someone else's problem. It's got a tiny little push button next to the tap, so it's a valve flush. And how is the integrated basin supposed to save water? I can see that this sort of thing might be very helpful if you need to fit a new toilet and basin into a tiny space, but that's not the issue I'm facing.

To the op, I'd sit on this for a little while longer and see how this thread does pan out. :D

Better in what way? You can get siphons with the option of half flushes too, surely?

I probably should have mentioned that this is a concealed cistern unit, so access for maintenance won't be easy. I don't want something that requires periodic cleaning or replacement of parts.

Plus ... the leakage aspect really bothers me. A siphon flush just doesn't leak. A valve can leak, but the trouble is that leaks of less than about 2.5 litres per hour are not going to be noticed, and 2.5 litres per hour is about £75 per year!
Better as in you don't have to uninstall the toilet to repair it if anything goes wrong.
You would notice the leakage in the pan. Very easy to see if it happens.
I've not come across a half flush siphon. You can adjust the siphon to let as much water through as you want, but the amount is then fixed.

Just clean the washer every 3 to 6 months if you are bothered.
Or move to Scotland - we have plenty of water :)

Last edited:
Erm...got dual flush syphon here.

If I remember correctly, most syphon types now have a dual flush option. There is a hole in the side of the syphon which if fitted with a blocking off cap, will always give full flush. If the cap is removed, it will give half flush if the lever is turned and let go and a full flush if held down.

Steve.

Last edited:
You're right, though I've only ever fitted single flush syphons. Over the last 5 or 6 years I've only fitted valve flush.

It might be worth looking into fitting a water filter as well - I'll try to find a link later to the one we have which has helped a massive amount.

This is the sort of thing we had - we actually put in two, with different filters on the incoming mains.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capacity-water-filter-kit-10/16747

Our water went from so hard it had lumps (really) and our 22mm hot water pipes got totally choked to drinkable and our pipes and kettle didn't get and build-up of scale.

Given the cost and the effect it had it may be worth it if you have the space to install one.

Back